• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Authenticity check - Burberry Trench

acconrad

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been looking for a Burberry Trench for a while but of course (A) none of them are English made (it's always the crappier US versions) and (B) everyone is too small!

I finally found what looks like an English-made 46 but given the price, I am skeptical (but then again, its probably a pretty hard size to sell, so maybe it's not THAT weird):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Burberry-Trench-...item1c1839baba

I've studied the pictures and checked the forums for cues and it appears to be a 90s pre-USA (note the "Burberrys" and not "Burberry") trench.

Is a 46 from the Burberrys era larger than a 46 today? I'm a 44R and I went to a Burberry shop and found the 44 to be too small, and a 46 to be just right, but at 6' I'm wondering if the 46L is too long...it's 50'' long which is definitely on the long side. thoughts?

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acconrad
(note the "Burberrys" and not "Burberry")
Good to know that... I've seen "Burberrys" on a couple pieces in thrift stores and assumed it was a knock off of some sort. None of it I liked enough to inspect more closely, but I've been meaning to look that up. Thanks.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burberry's changed its name to Burberry in 1999. The trench on that Ebay link is 100% authentic. It is also one heck of a great deal for brand new old stock. Bid with confidence.(and no, I am not the seller..lol) Edit- As far as sizing is concerned, If you plan on wearing a suit underneath the trench then it should work out. For length, you have to make that desicion. This trench would have come to just below the knee; standard traditional length (and practical too). Since it's primary function is to protect you from rain, the length shouldn't be an issue...as long as it doesn't go to your ankles.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 67 17.6%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 126 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 64 16.8%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 26 6.8%