• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Authentic zegna tie?

acole

Reaction score
Looks real to me. I have a few Zegna ties that are labeled this way...

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Definitely real- and I'd guess 3-4 years old, or newer. Nice tie.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think the tie is more than likely authentic simply because it is more expensive to knockoff the backing than it would be to knock off the tag.

For what it is worth, if you WERE going to knockoff Zegna ties it would be a lot easier to do so by knocking off the label than it would be to knockoff the backing - and not worth doing unless you were making thousands of them.

Forgeries are fairly rare - if this one is my guess is that you could not tell since it is not a complex item but forgery is more rare than folks imagine.

Funny story - I recently had an Ebay buyer indignantly accuse me of sewing on a burberry label to a tuxedo shirt and demand the 150% refund I offer if I ever accidentally sell a fake. His reason was that on the lower tag there was the ubiquitous GB logo of Gitman Brothers.

...now most here would understand why this is ridiculous.
A. Most labels don't produce their own shirts, Gitman makes Burberry in North America.
B. If you were gonna knock off Burberry you would not use Gitman, you'd go somewhere much cheaper.
C. Give me some credit - if I were that particular brand of scumbag who steals the work of others at least credit me with enough brains that I'd knockoff a Gucci or something with more cachet and a higher pricetag... he called me dishonest and stupid..

All this to say - unless someone is selling 5000 Zegna ties cheap it is unlikely that you are looking at a knockoff, especially when the seller has an established history.

Tip to those who sell on Ebay - I added a paragraph to the fine print in my auctions saying that if buyer believes an item is not authentic they can send it to the manufacturer and if the manufacturer says it is a fake I will refund 150% of purchase price plus all shipping.... simple reason - unethical buyers will occasionally (once every month or two) make the accusation and threaten to stick that in your feedback record unless you do whatever they tell you will satisfy them. Usually this happens when someone tries to return a last season item for a full price refund at Nieman's and can't... No established Ebay seller with half a brain would knowingly sell a fake as it would be suicide for his/her business to do so and get nailed for it and next to impossible to pull off with a regularity that would make it profitable to do so.

...fortunately 99% of established buyers and sellers are honest and reasonable :)

MikeF

Reaction score
Do people really buy things on eBay and then try to return them to department stores (or anywhere else for that matter)?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do people really buy things on eBay and then try to return them to department stores (or anywhere else for that matter)?

I've heard of people going to say, Gucci, Fendi, and buying clothing. But then they carefull don the items, and afterwards try to return them. As well as shoes, handbags.

Some items I've seen on eBay can actually be returned since certain tags are still there, etc.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard of people going to say, Gucci, Fendi, and buying clothing. But then they carefull don the items, and afterwards try to return them. As well as shoes, handbags. Some items I've seen on eBay can actually be returned since certain tags are still there, etc.
A fellow interviewed for a position as a sales individual in a store of mine and showed up with the tags attached to his suit arms, and only after seeing that his pants were rolled up as well did I realize that he had every intention of returning the suit after the interview. I also noticed some of the guys I play racquetball with that kept the plastic on the handle so as to be able to return the racquets after a bit (how you avoid hitting the frame up I dont know ) These were cheap Items...Why not on expensive ones as well?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads