• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Authentic Tacos - healthy or no?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yuca's is a tad overrated due to the fact that it's always been located on Hillhurst in the heart of white/hipster Los Feliz. They do an authentic Cochinita Pibil and good tacos in general, but they also do cheeseburgers and not-very-good (or authentic) tortas.

scenesreplayed

Reaction score
asking if tacos are healthy is like asking if sandwiches are healthy... if you beef if up on a white taco and hella sour cream you may as well just have arbys
but whole weat tortilla with sauteed tomatoes, beans or tofue, sprouts, no fat yogurt and fresh salsa is a decent treat.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scenesreplayed
asking if tacos are healthy is like asking if sandwiches are healthy... if you beef if up on a white taco and hella sour cream you may as well just have arbys
but whole weat tortilla with sauteed tomatoes, beans or tofue, sprouts, no fat yogurt and fresh salsa is a decent treat.

This thread is about tacos. A taco is meat, onions, cilantro and salsa on a corn tortilla. Just because a tortilla is involved doesn't make that abortion you described a "taco."

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we talk about the high-fiber tortillas now sold as wraps, or is that not authentic and taco?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
This thread is about tacos. A taco is meat, onions, cilantro and salsa on a corn tortilla. Just because a tortilla is involved doesn't make that abortion you described a "taco."
lol +1 I mean, you can't show up with a tofu patty in any self respecting discussion of burgers. Same rules apply.

Spilotro

Reaction score
If you use lean meat, whole grain tortillas (or just "healthier" ones), fat free or low fat cheese, etc. then it is definitely going to be healthy. Same goes for just about anything. I like to grill hamburgers with extra lean beef, whole grain buns, yada yada, and they really aren't bad for you.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spilotro
If you use lean meat, whole grain tortillas (or just "healthier" ones), fat free or low fat cheese, etc. then it is definitely going to be healthy. Same goes for just about anything. I like to grill hamburgers with extra lean beef, whole grain buns, yada yada, and they really aren't bad for you.

No, but they also taste like card boards.

samblau

Reaction score
To the OP...anything with tortilla is likely unhealthy as they are typically fried...and truly authentic tortillas would be fried in LARD. You can eat healthy Mexican by ordering fajitas and forgoing most of or all of the tortilla shells, hopefully cutting out the sour cream and cheese...if you want to indulge have some guac, those are good fats. If you are eating at home and can control what you use, they make whole wheat tortillas and reduced fat sour cream thats actually pretty decent. Fresh Mexican food leaves you feeling so much better....grilled summer corn with a spicy rub, fish dishes, salads etc. Eating a burrito just gives me a food coma.

Wow 855 for the Chipolte veggie...although if you sub chicken for the guac should be a wash. Its not horrific if you are eating 500-600 calories each for breakfast/dinner, esp if you exercise. I am much better w my diet during the week...yesterday I had a 150 cal yogurt in the AM, 6" subway sub (no mayo/cheese etc.) and baked chips/coke zero. my guess 500 cal, 180 calorie Nutrigrain bar in the afternoon...at a tad under 1000 before riding the bike at night for 25 mins. Problem is many Americans eat a load of refined white flour with/or eggs/bacon/cheese and pizza/mexican/chinese/burgers for dinner.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by fried tortilla, do you mean heat up on the griddle with a bit of grease? Or somehow deep fried during preparation?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads