• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Authentic RL polos on ebay

metkirk

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need a list of eBay sellers that sell real RL polos on eBay, sellers who have custom fit polos are preferable. Thanks a lot!

coatandthai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by metkirk
Hi everyone, I need a list of eBay sellers that sell real RL polos on eBay, sellers who have custom fit polos are preferable. Thanks a lot!

I'll start working on it immediately. Do you need anything else?

chrisc

Reaction score
I can confirm that got-a-bargain sells authetic RL polos (I buy custom-fit polos from him/her.) I also have Jhuff8181 and namebrand-for-less on my favorite seller list because, if what they sell is the same stuff that they take pictures of, they also sell authentic polos. Here's a post I made about finding real RL polos on eBay:
I try to buy RL polos on eBay most of the time. Fakes are getting better at copying, but there are still a few things you can look for. One fool-proof way you can spot a fake is the collar band on the inside of the shirt.
19zz1.jpg
As you can see with this shirt, the band that is running along the collar is made from the same material as the mesh shirt. This indicates that it is a fake, as all real RL polos have a different material for the band. I would show you an example of a real one, but unfortunately, all close-up pictures of RL polos on eBay were fakes. Just check out the shirts you bought in Macy's or in another department store, you'll see that the band is made of a softer cotton and has horizontal ribbing running along it. I have yet to see a fake that has this, probably due to slightly higher costs and most importantly, customers just don't realize it. If you're considering a big purchase of RL polos, I recommend you ask for a close-up picture of the collar tag (so you can see the banding.) There are a few sellers that sell authentic polos, you just have to investigate, ask for better pictures and hopefully find a legitimate seller. I originally went for the dirt-cheap items and paid the price. Prepare to pay slighter higher prices than the other polos on eBay, but be happy that they're real! Hope this helps! -Chris
I'd like to add that most RL polo shirts on eBay are fake. About 80% I would say. The other 10% are real RL polos with horrible designs and the next 10% is the good stuff. RL Custom Fit polos are hard to find on eBay and tend to bid high (I got mine through the eBay stores, a place people hardly look at.) Oh, and another way to tell if an RL Polo is fake is if it has sharp wrinkles all over it. Wrinkles can happen to any clothing, obviously, but the fake stuff just wrinkles like crazy, and you can easily tell by the pictures. They look like that got flattened by a car. Here's an example of a fake RL polo with all those sharp wrinkles:
RL_05PCMGreen_1.jpg
Here's a real one that I brought, notice the difference?:
37_1.JPG
(And yes, it's definitely authentic, I sell Polos at a department store and I can easily tell off the bat once it's in my hands.) (And why would I buy Polo shirts on the internet then? Lousy discount...
confused.gif
)

metkirk

Reaction score
That post on eBay is excellent! I just checked a RL polo i bought for 24.99 on eBay and found out it was fake. Sad but at least now I know what to look for.

chrisc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Why do you guys even bother with Ebay when you can go to a Polo outlet or a Marshalls and get them for less than $30?

Marshalls sells mesh RL Polo shirts for $29.00, rarely less than that. And the RL Polos that are usually sold are the ones with horrible designs (one shirt had pink, black, and yellow stripes???) Only once have I seen a decent RL Polo shirt that I did buy. And forget about trying to find solid colored mesh Polo shirts. And considering I'm paying about the same buying on eBay when buying from Marshalls, well...

(I'd like to add that Marshalls sells RL Interlock Polo shirts for $24.99 (plain cotton compared to mesh))

coachvu

Reaction score
I also don't usually like the designs offered at Marshalls, but most major department stores almost always have Polo clothing on sale. I frequently buy solid color mesh shirts in popular colors for $35. Before turning to ebay, except for the respected buyers listed, try Dillard's, Belk's, etc.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisc
I can confirm that got-a-bargain sells authetic RL polos (I buy custom-fit polos from him/her.)

Chris - I'm a little confused here. I clicked on the first eBay seller you recommended and the first RL polo shirt I found is this one:
d2_1.JPG

there's no close-up but the band seems to be made of the same material as the shirt, no?
confused.gif

chrisc

Reaction score
I honestly can't tell, ask him for a more detailed photograph if you're interested. (I did before, heehee...) That's really the only way you're going to be positive of its authenticity.

I haven't had a problem with him yet, so I don't think he'll all of a sudden go from authentics to fakes.

pkincy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Why do you guys even bother with Ebay when you can go to a Polo outlet or a Marshalls and get them for less than $30?

That is becoming so true. There was a time when much of what was bought on Ebay was real. Unfortunately Ebay has become a bazaar that is all too often used to move counterfeit or stolen goods or older used goods sold by scam artists.

Sad but the real as described bargains are too hard to find any longer.

Perry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads