Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Austro-Hungarian school of shoemaking

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fritzl, Feb 26, 2008.

1. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Excited to hear your thoughts once received.

2. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

Maftei charges about USD 1200 for the first pair (including last fee which you pay once) and typically charges about $40 for shipping to the USA.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016

3. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

By now the measurement is considered done and he told me to come back the next morning for fitting... Wow that is a short turn around time! Turn out he is flying off the following afternoon to meet his family in Oslo as the day after is a public holiday in Austria. 

The following day...

True enough, my fitting shoe is competed. It is essentially some cheap leather upper with no welting done with just a cork sole attached to the bottom, unlike the Japanese bespoke maker I have visited last October, where they usually made with the same quality of leather even for the fitting shoe. And working pair as well. Well.... you get what you paid for in term of your fitting shoe..... Update :: There is always option for getting your fitting shoe at extra cost but for me I think fitting shoe will suffice. Important is the final shoe...
    Fitting is done by wearing and walking around the atelier for about 10 minutes. Feedback is given after wearing the shoe for some time on how I feel on the fit. 
    --------
    After walking for a while, Maftei has a feel on how my feet feel on the fitting shoe and counter check against my measurement again. 
    --------
    Turns out the length is slightly longer on my last and width is abit narrower on my left feet. He did some adjustment on the spot to demonstrate how it is done..... 
    --------
    My last and fitting shoe. Last still need to be refined further....
    -------
    I think this is a critical and demonstrative point... The test shoe. The service you get from Maftei is incredible. He's turning around a test shoe for his traveling customers in less than 24 hours. There are some shoe makers who will produce a fully formed test shoe but that shoe will take them weeks to make and the final bespoke product will be 3-5 times the cost of Maftei Bespoke.

Alexandru and Lucian are extremely skilled and experienced craftsman - they have both trained at Sheer and have many decades of experience. Issues with the final product are addressed in a timely and professional manner... I am a very hard to fit person with orthotics and Maftei has gone out of their way to insure my satisfaction. Happy to hear you are giving them a shot - I think you will be very happy with the final product.

4. techaview

techaview Senior member

Yes I am waiting in anticipation, my first bespoke after all..... : )

Yap price is about there, I have opted for the hollowed shoe tree as well...

I'm sure with the service Alexandru put in, I am able to get a pair of comfortable and fitting pair. Too bad I didn't visit Lucian who is based at the main shopping district, Stephansplatz. I didn't know that they have a showroom there and I pass by Stephansplatz almost everyday I am in Vienna!

5. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

Any word on your shoes yet? you should get something by end of summer i think (but August vacations slow things down)

6. techaview

techaview Senior member

I am expecting this pair to be arriving soon. Maftei told me first week of July so it kinda of overdue by a week or so.

Any idea will there be any tracking send by them? He didn't explicitly tell me how they going to ship...

7. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

At least in my cases (living in Europe) they have sent the shoes using the Austrian Post, and they are very slow. Been at least a week to get them from Vienna up to Sweden every time. Just so you know.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016

8. techaview

techaview Senior member

Thanks Jesper for your insight. Any idea if they've given you any tracking number of it just pop up at your doorstep one day?

9. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

I've been given tracking-id in some cases at least, but I did most of my correspondence with Roxana and I believe she might think more about that sort of thing than the rest of the family :)

10. techaview

techaview Senior member

I see... Yap I been corresponding with roxana for the appointment with Matfei. Have already send her for an update. Guess I'll just have to wait patiently : )

11. techaview

techaview Senior member

Anyone can help me with the contact number with maftei? Want to call for update.

Email to Roxana goes unanswered and I can't seem to reach Alexandru on the Vienna main line on their website.

PM me if too personal... Cheers!

12. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Senior member

Bespoke shoemaker in Vienna. Price starts at 5k EUR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016

13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

14. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

Any AH updates? New Maftei or other brands recently delivered or ordered?

I'm thinking about ordering a new pair from Maftei and thinking about styles & leather. My brown plain toe bluchers are my most comfortable pair of shoes and i'm thinking about going with the same style shoe with some modifications - Rubber sole, Goyser Welt, different color leather with a medallion on the cap. Also hope to send back my brown pair for a resole along with the new order so I have a little time to figure out what I want.

Given that I doing this remotely, does anyone have any suggestions on how to select a leather without being able to actually see Maftei's swatch book? Has anyone had them send samples to the US / CAD / AUS?

15. techaview

techaview Senior member

Received mine couple of months back but haven't get down to wearing them out. Tried the fit at home though. As expected , the left side is slightly larger than right side as during my fitting last May there is an insole pad at the left fitting shoe which causes this issue. Slipping in a thin insole solve this issue.

As this is my first pair of bespoke, I'm not sure if it is considered a good fit. One thing for sure, it doesn't feel too tight nor too loose. Unlike both my made to measure pairs where there is not fitting, the fit is slightly on the snug side and require more breaking in to be more comfortable, I reckon. Will post review after I wear them in the wild couple of times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017