• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Austro-Hungarian school of shoemaking

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can you explain this. These are handwelted ( I presume) so that the insole is securely stitched to upper, welt, etc, which means that it cannot be removed (without destroying the shoe)? Is the footbed just the heel liner? but that is very thin

sure. sorry for the misleading use of the term footbed and no it's not the heel liner.

it's a full sockliner which is applied on a layer of cork. ca. three milimeters. there's also an arch support(pelotte) built in. this conforms the "footbed" and is a common practice in the austro-hungarian shoemaking tradition. certainly the insole is handwelted and the sole is woodpegged.

hope that helps.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sure. sorry for the misleading use of the term footbed and no it's not the heel liner.
it's a full sockliner which is applied on a layer of cork. ca. three milimeters. there's also an arch support(pelotte) built in. this conforms the "footbed" and is a common practice in the austro-hungarian shoemaking tradition. certainly the insole is handwelted and the sole is woodpegged.
hope that helps.

I have to tell you, these cork lined sockliners sound very comfy.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hope that helps.

I have to tell you, these cork lined sockliners sound very comfy

right you are. imo, they are also helpful in adjusting minor fit issues. been there, done that, got the shirt.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
much appreciated. they now belong to fellow member itsstillmatt: Hey Gerd, They arrived .... Beautiful shoes, and the fit is spot on.

My next shoe is going to be a Norweger for sure!...cheers

Ok, Me too but it have to be identical to that one, nothing less.

:blush: guys, you make me shyly.

you know, i have the same model and i really enjoy them. i will not promise anything, i cannot hold up later. but, i want to let you know, if there is anything i can do to reach this goal, i'll try my best. word.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the difference?

_IGP9589.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bud1.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What is the difference?

_IGP9589.jpg

both are the wiener model/style. wiener is either the name for a last and a model.

whereas they both look good, the first one is a hybrid. the wiener never came with a goyserer welt. to make things more confusing and complicated. the first one is on the 3636, which is vass' name for the original wiener last. yours is the wiener model and is made on the p2 last.

Last edited:

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

both are the wiener model/style. wiener is either the name for a last and a model.
whereas they both look good, the first one is a hybrid. the wiener never came with a goyserer welt. to make things more confusing and complicated. the first one is on the 3636, which is vass' name for the original wiener last. yours is the wiener model and is made on the p2 last.

This style is one of my favorites. Good stuff.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

let's talk budapester then. same as the wiener, budapester applies for both - model and last. the budapester is a very distinctive last hence the nickname sharkmouth.
ambassador and one of the most popular wearer was budapest born stock market expert André Kostolany

pictured is a budapester model on the, i have to guess, p2 or F last.

the budapester comes in three basic variations:

standard welt, as pictured

270 degree goyserer welt

360 degree goyserer welt

unfortunately the website with a pictorial of the historical development of this iconic last has changed and is no longer available.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

let's talk budapester then. same as the wiener, budapester applies for both - model and last. the budapester is a very distinctive last hence the nickname sharkmouth.
ambassador and one of the most popular wearer was budapest born stock market expert André Kostolany
270 degree goyserer welt
360 degree goyserer welt
unfortunately the website with a pictorial of the historical development of this iconic last has changed and is no longer available.

Nice looking shoe. Why do I always see this shape forefoot associated with the budapester?

vass_budapest5md.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
^ that would be the aforementioned Budapester last. They look like clogs to me.

Last edited:

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

270 degree goyserer welt
360 degree goyserer welt

That is the F, more narrow & pointy, I ordered that one inspired in a photo posted by A Portnoy in the first few pages of the Vass thread. Love this shoe, but only for business dress, too sleek for my taste to wear casual with jeans etc. My next budapester will be in the P2 or 3636 in shell.

Last edited:

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very interesting, thanks. I saved the image in my hard drive and was drooling over it for awhile and inspired me to order mine. I decided to order without the goyser stitching because I wanted to make it a little less casual for use at the office, in my mind at least, I would've make no difference looking back now. I'm pretty sure both are in the new peter last though.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, what about plain toe derbies?, one of my favorites. I have posted this images a few times in the Vass thread. Vass grain is really nice and lustrous. The cognacs obviously casual with vibram soles. The bordeaux I use for everything, actually Vass made a mistake with those, I ordered with a double sole and they made it double tapering to single. I was disappointed initially but I quickly forgot about it, no problem with the soles, very happy with the color too. The suedes are very nice as well, Love PTB's,

There are some unbelievable ones at the beginning of this thread, tell me something about them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads