Austro-Hungarian school of shoemaking

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fritzl, Feb 26, 2008.

1. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

The sales assistant Andy pointed out to me that Cleverley was selling off a few bespoke and semi-bespoke shoes that had either not been picked up by clients or were ex-display. In the case of the bespoke shoes, that meant a reduction in price from £2000-£2500 to £300-£500.
    source: permanent style blog

so what's the deal?

cleverley can, and others cannot???

discuss

it would be nice if others could too! I know kiss is selling his. Lil Fritz, go ahead and post all of the photos of Kiss's remaining stock shoes so teh fora can enjoy and revel in the footwear of Kiss.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

yes i know this is true for cleverley but i have not heard it for anyone else, but in some ways it does make sense to sell them off better than chucking them out!

It makes complete sense.

- B

3. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

It makes complete sense.

- B

Tailors, shoemakers, shirtmakers all find ways to sell off kills, pigs or pork -- that is, refused orders, botched orders or unclaimed orders. They stick them in the sale, or ferret them out to used/consignment clothing shops like Bertie Wooster/Old Hat or keep them in the back until a punter expresses interest or someone sneaks them out and flogs them on ebay.

Don't know about, can't comment on the bespoke process except that I thank you all for not posting those atrocious KISS photos.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Don't know about, can't comment on the bespoke process except that I thank you all for not posting those atrocious KISS photos.

Click if you dare.

- B

5. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

I agree, it's not unusual to resell whyever unsold bespoke pieces, be it shoes, shirts or suits. I've seen all three and can't find a bad thing about it. Au contraire, it's a way for them to make up at least for the production costs (most of the time, it's not a real profit the artisans make, but merely a +/-0 thing) and for us to get our hands on bespoke items we would normally not consider, be it because of their price, styling, etc.

RJman, you must have never worn a proper shoe. What exactly makes master Kiss' shoes atrocious? Do you own any to be able to judge 'em?

6. RJman

RJman, you must have never worn a proper shoe. What exactly makes master Kiss' shoes atrocious? Do you own any to be able to judge 'em?

I don't opine on the shoes by the person Kiss, I simply am sick of pictures relating to the rock group KISS.

7. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

I don't opine on the shoes by the person Kiss, I simply am sick of pictures relating to the rock group KISS.
    Kiss is the new Rubinacci, you know... You better be in early.

8. RJman

Kiss is the new Rubinacci, you know... You better be in early.

I do not follow MAFOOFAN. MAFOOFAN follows me.

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Some of the big boys
    [​IMG]
    (Left to right)
    * J&M Handmade
    * George Materna (perfect shoo)
    * Vass Budapester
    * Vass F last

George Materna
    [​IMG]

materna ftw

11. Hsan5

Hsan5 New Member

Hi fellas,

This is my first post, so apologies in advance if I mess up the protocol. Looking over this thread from the beginning I noticed the "single" picture of Mr. Otto Bartkiewicz"s work. After looking for more on the net, I stumbled on a spread of black and white photos taken in 1988 of his shop. The pictures where taken from a photographers point of view not so much a shoe enthusiast. I find the shop and the few pictures of actual shoes amazing! I hope the old guy is still alive and practicing his craft. Enjoy.

http://odonoghue.net/gallery.php?lang=&id=19

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

cross post from shoe pron in the spirit of the first kiss....

[​IMG]
    MTM, Gyula Kiss Norweger in coffee suede (semi-exotic leather I forgot, fritzl may chime in on this) next to Münchener Schuhwerkstätten (as above)

sterling, mine are deer-skin, so not too exotic [​IMG]

..but talking about "his" brethern out of a triple order:

1. sterlings in whnay view:

[​IMG]

2. these went to a friend in vienna with the comment: fritzl, you are my personal hero.

[​IMG]

3. ...and this wonderful pair belongs to "our" dopey. unfortunately, he didn't give me a final feedback or posted about them.

[​IMG]

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Maftei.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pics will be available in a month.

it's more like 6 months [​IMG]

and for the gallery:

Vass
    [​IMG]

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

materna ftw
    +1, great looking shoes. Does any of these makers ever make such a shape for boots?

15. banis

banis Senior member

it's more like 6 months [​IMG]

There were two fittings already. First was when I posted pictures. Following to that I received shoes at the end of September and they did not fit properly. As Maftei reduced his trips to Moscow, I could not meet with him to make final tweaks. I stayed in Vienna during last weekend and made a visit to Maftei. I really hope that I will be able to get final and propely fitted shoes by mid-January or end of January as latest. Unfortunately, it took much more time than it was expected...