Austro-Hungarian school of shoemaking

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fritzl, Feb 26, 2008.

1. marcus-

marcus- Active Member

Great shots!

[​IMG]

I like that shoe a lot [​IMG]

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

[​IMG]

form the hungarian sartorialist:

[​IMG]

3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Great shots!

[​IMG]

I like that shoe a lot [​IMG]

These guys have excellent taste in art. If they curated a museum, I would visit.

4. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

anybody else interested in a trunk show in san francisco, los angeles or any other major city?
    DC, PM me if it happens.

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

while holding up a private trunk show in vienna a few days ago, a friend of mine mentioned, that he owns a pair Mr. Kiss made for him in 1990.

today, i received some pics. admittedly, they need some tlc. on the other hand, they never saw a repair shop. that speaks imo for their quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

no need to say, that they have a lot of mileage taken in the two decades. [​IMG]

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

DC, PM me if it happens.
    it was sort of an inside joke, but it is a valid goal. i'll do my best. it's likely, i will be in los angeles in autumn. let's see, what's possible and realistic.

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Hi Sir:

Thanks for your response to my original query about steel on your shoes.....

Recently my laptop died and I lost the pics you were kind enough to share with me a year ago. Is there a possibility that you can forward to me some duplicate pics pf your shoes and steel? I would really appreciate your kindness.

Thanks for your kindness...

MH Rusty

PS:If there is anything you would like from me in return will be happy to send to you.

Recently, i started several shoe restorations. i am looking for a pair of Alden in 9.5 - 10.

8. rapad

rapad Active Member

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Do you come to Hungary regularly for shoes, or for anything else?

for the shoes, which are offered through "operation paprika" in buying&selling

10. sergun

sergun Member

Received this masterpiece from Fritzl and absolutely happy nowadays - I've found a new love! [​IMG] [​IMG] They fit well, I can even say that too perfect for the non-bespoke shoes and have a stunning construction. Sure they are not the most elegant shoes in the world but they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned without any exception. I'm also inspired by the soft leather and stitching quality. Gyula Kiss has a golden hands! Wish him good health! Don't be afraid to support 'operation paprika'. Fritzl is a real Gentleman, selling the best shoes at the best price. They'd definitely exceed your expectations. Danke schön for the great laces!

11. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here is a pair of shoes made by the famous company of Bela Nagy (Vienna) in 1938.

http://www.dhub.org/object/172114&img=2917

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(thanks ‘shoefan’ for the link).

Bela Nagy existed until 1973, when the company was bought by Georg Materna and integrated into Materna.

It just proves my impression (as formed in Vienna’s ‘Shoe Museum’), that the look which Fritzl promotes as ’Austro-Hungarian school’
    is a stylistic change of the post war period. Until that point, Austria (at least the makers in Vienna) produced ’town shoes’
    for a smart and international clientele, not that folksy look of today.

Another example: Scheer, probably also from the 1930s.
    http://centipede.web.fc2.com/r-scheer.html

Why that change occurred, I do not know.

12. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

B.S....that Scheer post off of Centipede could have easily been made today by Fosters, Cleverley or G&G given its gorgeous shape....I'm surprised I missed this one off of Centipede's site. The look is what I thought was classic English...but it appears you have given me insight as to what the Austrian's were once capable of making to compete with the English

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Received this masterpiece from Fritzl and absolutely happy nowadays - I've found a new love!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

They fit well, I can even say that too perfect for the non-bespoke shoes and have a stunning construction. Sure they are not the most elegant shoes in the world but they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned without any exception.
    I'm also inspired by the soft leather and stitching quality. Gyula Kiss has a golden hands! Wish him good health!

Don't be afraid to support 'operation paprika'. Fritzl is a real Gentleman, selling the best shoes at the best price. They'd definitely exceed your expectations.

Danke schön for the great laces!

Thank you for your kind words. Wear them in good health.

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

personal meet up with a fellow sf'er for the "fitting" procedure. looking forward to it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. meister

meister Senior member

Here is a pair of shoes made by the famous company of Bela Nagy (Vienna) in 1938.

http://www.dhub.org/object/172114&img=2917

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(thanks "˜shoefan' for the link).

Bela Nagy existed until 1973, when the company was bought by Georg Materna and integrated into Materna.

It just proves my impression (as formed in Vienna's "˜Shoe Museum'), that the look which Fritzl promotes as 'Austro-Hungarian school'
    is a stylistic change of the post war period. Until that point, Austria (at least the makers in Vienna) produced 'town shoes'
    for a smart and international clientele, not that folksy look of today.

Another example: Scheer, probably also from the 1930s.
    http://centipede.web.fc2.com/r-scheer.html

Why that change occurred, I do not know.

That red pair of spectators at the top are in the Museum in Sydney right ?