• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Austria

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Just curious, is there a particular reason you are more interested in Austria? Its beautiful, and certainly a perfectly acceptable destination, but if given a better idea of what attracts you to Austria in the first place, you may get more targeted recommendations in terms of places/things to see.

Because going to Austria rather than the usual backpacking destinations makes him sound like less of a college aged white middle class american stereotype.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just do amsterdam conne... the red light district is being "cleaned" up, so better go now before the opportunity is gone
smile.gif

Musiclover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Except that it's in Salzburg.
Check... www.mozarthausvienna.at Mozart is from Salzburg, but the Mozart museum I visited is in Vienna. It's close to the church in the center of town and the residence where he wrote some of his most famous work like The Magic Flute. Sounds like SField has never been to Vienna.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, but a great jewel of that country is Graz. It can be really beautiful, it's also the main university city in Austria. Have a Sachre Torte at the famous hotel. I believe that's the one Oprah has shipped to her weekly to add to her generous posterior. Salzburg is beautiful. Vienna is nice and compact which allows you to see a lot. I'd definitely go to Innsbrook to see Hofburg.

Sacher Tortes = seriously overrated.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Musiclover
Check...

www.mozarthausvienna.at

Mozart is from Salzburg, but the Mozart museum I visited is in Vienna. It's close to the church in the center of town and the residence where he wrote some of his most famous work like The Magic Flute. Sounds like SField has never been to Vienna.

Sounds like you're a ******* moron.

Mozart lived in several places, and his house in Salzburg is what most people would think of in any case. When the mozart festivals happened two years ago, most of it was in Salzburg, which as you know is the most prestigious summer music festival in the world. Keep in mind that he didn't live very long, and that a lot of his work was written in Salzburg. He wrote quite a few of his most performed works before he got to Vienna. In fact, he went to Paris first.

And yes, I spent quite a bit of time in Vienna.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas

Never been big on deserts, even having Gale Gand's place nearby.

Seems fine to me.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My best Vienna tip is to go see an opera at the Staatsoper. If you are willing to "rough it" just a bit, the opera reserves some standing-room-only tickets for day-of-concert sale. You may have to google the specifics, but essentially if you show up at 5pm or so and wait for a few hours for them to open the ticket booth. If you're early enough in the line you can get a "parterre" place which is right behind the best seats in the house. You'll stand through the whole opera, so you may want to skip out on any Wagner, but for something like 2 euro you'll be witnessing opera as well as it can be staged and performed and from a fantastic vantage point. Take a tie or scarf as you'll need it to mark your standing "spot" on the rail.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score

+1. Unless they have gotten better since the 70's its just a dense so so chocolate cake. They used to come in a pretty cool wooden box. Not sure if they still do.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My best Vienna tip is to go see an opera at the Staatsoper. If you are willing to "rough it" just a bit, the opera reserves some standing-room-only tickets for day-of-concert sale. You may have to google the specifics, but essentially if you show up at 5pm or so and wait for a few hours for them to open the ticket booth. If you're early enough in the line you can get a "parterre" place which is right behind the best seats in the house. You'll stand through the whole opera, so you may want to skip out on any Wagner, but for something like 2 euro you'll be witnessing opera as well as it can be staged and performed and from a fantastic vantage point. Take a tie or scarf as you'll need it to mark your standing "spot" on the rail.

You can also see the Vienna phil for shockingly low prices. I think 8 euro? Usually you'll be seated at the last minute, basically as they're tuning.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
+1. Unless they have gotten better since the 70's its just a dense so so chocolate cake. They used to come in a pretty cool wooden box. Not sure if they still do.

They still do. Still also taste mediocre. There are much better chocolate delights in Vienna.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You can also see the Vienna phil for shockingly low prices. I think 8 euro? Usually you'll be seated at the last minute, basically as they're tuning.

Another great tip. You really must see some classical music in Vienna.

Avoid the silly Mozart show they do though. If you see people dressed up in old-time clothes trying to sell you tickets to a show, that's the one. It's tourist pap.

Though some of the girls selling said tickets are quite cute.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They still do. Still also taste mediocre. There are much better chocolate delights in Vienna.

There's a particular place I can't remember the name off just a few meters from the palace where they have a lot of really fantastic pastries. People spend a long time agonizing over what to get for the day. Again I don't have too much of a sweetooth but I did think they were much better than what you find in the average bakery stateside.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another great tip. You really must see some classical music in Vienna.

Avoid the silly Mozart show they do though. If you see people dressed up in old-time clothes trying to sell you tickets to a show, that's the one. It's tourist pap.

Though some of the girls selling said tickets are quite cute.

Or just go to the conservatory. Many great studios are in Vienna including Oistrakh's and Kuschnir's.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Again I don't have too much of a sweetooth but I did think they were much better than what you find in the average bakery stateside.

Well, yes, this goes without saying. But what you get at the average bakery anywhere in Western Europe is going to be much better than what you find in the average bakery stateside.

Like you, I'm not necessarily Mr. Sweets, but for being world-famous, the Sacher Torte is a pretty major letdown.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Or just go to the conservatory. Many great studios are in Vienna including Oistrakh's and Kuschnir's.

Sounds like you've never been to Vienna.
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads