Australian newspaper article on local bespoke shoemaker

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CatsEyes, Mar 26, 2009.

1. CatsEyes

CatsEyes Senior member

2. apropos

apropos Senior member

This is just about the only RTW shoe on his website I might consider purchasing. Some of his designs are very... JLP. [​IMG]

3. rs232

rs232 Senior member

I remember him some television program he featured on about a year ago. (It was on rich people's toys). The thing that struck me was that he doesn't really make classically-styled shoes at all. On the other hand, if you want something that's casual/weird looking ...

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I've seen a magazine profile or two of him before and if I remember correctly, someone here or over on AskAndy posted about a shoemaking course that he offers, too.

As noted by rs232, most of his designs are certainly not "classic", but then again, he mostly seems to concentrate on women's shoes, in any case.

5. Zenny

Zenny Senior member

[​IMG] That looks quite nice.

6. meister

meister Senior member

His website could do with a lot of work. His last selection incorporated some 1930s shoe styles whci seemed to be based on photos of vintage shoes that Marc Chevalier of Fedora Lounge fame had posted on that forum. They were hardly the same quality from what one saw on the website.

7. CatsEyes

CatsEyes Senior member

Have to admit I hadn't checked out his website when I posted the original. And yes, some of the RTW designs are pretty dire, aren't they. Art-school stuff. The leathers don't look entirely convincing, either.

I was more interested in his own story than the shoes...

8. yoshii

yoshii Senior member

Found another bespoke shoemaker (Vic) whilst googling a couple weeks back. website blog Not in the market for new shoes at the moment, but figured it was on topic [​IMG] This one's in SE suburbs of Melb. Anyone else heard of them or know what their work is like?

9. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Senior member

The shoes look very rough to me.

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

There's a guy that posts on SZ that helped design a number of the models, like Paul Harnden he's using his classical training to make shoes more in the mold of Carpe Diem than John Lobb.

11. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

Found another bespoke shoemaker (Vic) whilst googling a couple weeks back.
    website
    blog

Not in the market for new shoes at the moment, but figured it was on topic [​IMG]
    This one's in SE suburbs of Melb. Anyone else heard of them or know what their work is like?

Not a fan.

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

McDonald was also profiled on one of the ABC sunday morning programmes. Despite the slowdown he's doing well - apparently he's looking to start exporting to Japan. I guess someone must like his stuff.

In his defence I imagine the real appeal of his footwear is that it's custom made to your foot, not that he has the most elegant designs out there. I don't know the man and his talents but he might be able to "copy" a favourite design and customise the shoes to your feet - thus combining the best of both worlds?

13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Just had a look at his website - some of the RTW models remind me of Jacobin Mugatoo's "Derelicte" Collection... [​IMG]