• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Men's designers

jase12

Reaction score
i'm sure australian men are very much a minority on this site, but i just thought id show some love to some of the great aussie mens designers! labels such as SABA, Morrissey and Herringbone really put out some interesting and well made clothing for men, and i think it's great to see a growing number of australian males taking an interest in classic fashion.

has anyone had any experience, (bad or good) with australian designers?

m_wave

Reaction score
I think it really depends on what you are looking for

AG
Saba
Marcs
Jack London

Do quite well for themselves even if fashion forward and not so classic

Nuff said

Reaction score
"i'm sure australian men are very much a minority on this site, but i just thought id show some love to some of the great aussie mens designers! labels such as SABA, Morrisey and Herringbone really put out some interesting and well made clothing for men" In my experience Morrisey produces very poorly made clothes and a lot of it is trashy to boot. Anything I have bought there has pretty much fallen apart or faded within months. The fabrics he uses are on a par with Tarocash or YD. I have found the quality of David Lawrence garments to be quite high though.

jase12

Reaction score
yes true. I guess I mean classic in comparison to flip flops, billabong boardies and a chesty bonds singlet!!

JTA

Reaction score
Herringbone = best I found for Australian brands (cut and quality).

Morrisey = sleek but poorly made
Saba = a bit classic with better fabric
Calibre = aggressive cut in a very poor fabric
Marcs = standard and classic in average quality
CEO = used to be quite good but don't know now

Politix = good design with better quality for streetwear (not so good price)

Tarocash, YD, Roger David = bad

Never had experience with Arthur Galan though.

aleeboy

Reaction score
I'm originally from Sydney... and Ag, on Oxford and Bondi Jct. Westfield, is my preferred local brand. Why? For the made in Aussie stuff, the quality is excellent. The fabric used is very nice and holds their shape and colour very well and the cut is modern and will complement average builds better.

I have noticed more and more of his lines are moving manufacturing offshore... this is a bad move as we have seen a deterioration in quality from other iconic labels such as Morrissey and Marcs go through this. Just my 2 cents

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jase12
a chesty bonds singlet!!
hey! Those are well made
smile.gif

laphroaig

Reaction score
I find SABA to be quite poor in terms of fabric quality with lots of their clothing made of some kind of poly blend. I put it in a similar category to Country Road in terms of quality. ie. overpriced for goods made in China. Country Road at least seems to often use Italian fabrics.

Calibre usually has one or two nice basics, made in Australia too so I think the price can justified even if it is a bit steep.

Arthur Galan seems to have interesting cuts and uses interesting yet very nice materials. I think the materials is what I like most about AG.

I also like Marcs for basics. The clothing keeps its shape through many washes but the colour seems hit and miss. I've ruined a shirt after only the second wash with a nice fade line across the chest from letting it hang dry on a sunny day.

I like the quality of Aquila shoes, it's just a shame they seem only follow the latest trend and don't carry anything else. Last time I had a look I don't remember seeing a single rounded toe shoe on display.

There are several very good younger Australian designers and labels right now with very interesting clothing that's more appropriate Streetwear & Denim than this forum.

I would also like to add to the positive remarks about Herringbone, especially for suits. I don't have one myself but every one I've seen on one of my colleagues looks great. It's as if they don't let anyone leave the store unless the suit fits well. This seems to be the exception in Sydney, where most stores seem to be pushing oversized suits, or at least let their customers leave in badly sized suits. I've also recently learned my employer has been recommending Herringbone to the sales staff for years, so they seem to have a good reputation in Australia.

ZengaGent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
I would also like to add to the positive remarks about Herringbone, especially for suits. I don't have one myself but every one I've seen on one of my colleagues looks great. It's as if they don't let anyone leave the store unless the suit fits well. This seems to be the exception in Sydney, where most stores seem to be pushing oversized suits, or at least let their customers leave in badly sized suits. I've also recently learned my employer has been recommending Herringbone to the sales staff for years, so they seem to have a good reputation in Australia.

+1. Great fabric. Great cut. Reasonably priced. And the new suiting styles (Osaka and Milano) capture the spirit of Neapolitan tailoring, with the emphasis on soft shoulders and slim lines. Good enough to convert me from Zegna Su Misura, and Phat Guido from Armani (see his posts on WAYWRN; they're excellent!).

Much of the credit goes to Ethan Newton, their head tailor; a member of this forum (EthanDesu) and a friend of mine.

Top guy to see if you need a good suit or shirt.

Regards,
Z

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have some AG, and heaps of Herringbone (ties and shirts, no suits yet) ... and have had some of the others in the past and while they all have varying degrees of quality one thing I think they all have in common is that they are over priced.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that most of those labels are bad enough to earn the epiphet of being "designer" trash. The only exception is Herringbone, which, largely thanks to Ethan Newton, successfully extracates itself from the rubbish bin of "designer labels" to deserve being called a "quality maker of fine menswear".

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I agree that most of those labels are bad enough to earn the epiphet of being "designer" trash. The only exception is Herringbone, which, largely thanks to Ethan Newton, successfully extracates itself from the rubbish bin of "designer labels" to deserve being called a "quality maker of fine menswear".

Sator,
I agree.
Thanks to the range of Japanese suiting that Herringbone have had for the past couple of years, their style and quality have improved immeasurably.
Prior to that, they were selling suits made in Malta and they were absolute, overpriced trash. Ugly, heavy fabric that felt as though it was made from horsehair, and poorly cut to boot.
The new stuff, though, is really very nice indeed.
Ethan simply cannot be allowed to leave Herringbone unless it is to start his own suit label (and I'm only half-joking when I say that)!
smile.gif

choowy

Reaction score
I went to Herringbone in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago to buy a shirt and tie for an upcoming interview. I have to say the shop assistants were the best I've come across in a very long time. The guy in particular was incredibly patient, and actually knew the product he was selling, which seems to be a fairly rare thing.

The shirts I ended up buying are great, and I'll probably pick up some more the next time they have a sale. If I actually had a job, and wasn't a uni student, I would've also picked up an Osaka-cut suit. The fit was fantastic.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZengaGent
Phat Guido from Armani (see his posts on WAYWRN; they're excellent!).

Or to be more precise Vince Maloney on Elizabeth St does a miraculous job of tailoring a mediocre garment into an excellently fitting one. Only tailors trained in making bespoke garments are really capable of so thoroughly tailoring a coat.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZengaGent
+1. Great fabric. Great cut. Reasonably priced. And the new suiting styles (Osaka and Milano) capture the spirit of Neapolitan tailoring, with the emphasis on soft shoulders and slim lines. Good enough to convert me from Zegna Su Misura, and Phat Guido from Armani (see his posts on WAYWRN; they're excellent!).

Much of the credit goes to Ethan Newton, their head tailor; a member of this forum (EthanDesu) and a friend of mine.

Top guy to see if you need a good suit or shirt.

Regards,
Z

+1

+1

Or to be more precise Vince Maloney on Elizabeth St does a miraculous job of tailoring a mediocre garment into an excellently fitting one. Only tailors trained in making bespoke garments are really capable of so thoroughly tailoring a coat.
- not sure why I was linked to the above as I have never shopped in VM but have used them for tailoring when Cutler was in limbo.
- can't stand the sharks in VM
FYI - Michael has left VM & started his on tailoring service. I recently had him tailor a BC sports jacket for me.

- As for Herringbone, the move to produce suits in Japan is a masterful move - even the prices are good (for now.. I can't see how they will keep them this low)
- Ethan is also a credit to Herringbone as I don't care for the other sales assistants there. If it wasn't for Ethan I would not have changed my whole professional wardrobe over. To date I have picked up 6 MIJ suits, 12 shirts (I don't care for their cut, but I trust Ethan to make the appropriate adjustments & they have all turned out great), assorted ties & PS.
- I know have a great travelling professional 'capsule' collection which is ideal for me as I will be on an international flight every 2 weeks for the next 8 months!
- Also I must thank Ethan for the learning's on C&J HG (5 pairs to date!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads