• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galactic Soap

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Relative lurker, making my first post in the Aussie Thread. I think I've gone through my 3rd (and hopefully) last closet clean-out leaving me with a wardrobe that fits well, looks good, and has fantastic workmanship behind it. Much love to SF for this.

While no doubt that the argument of diminishing returns will always ring true I couldn't agree more around the concept of purchasing the best (thing you can afford). Ultimately, I've come to realise that while in the past a $AU200 pair of Florsheim's would do the job for me for 2 years, the value in spending $400 in getting a pair of Allen Edmonds meant that ultimately I'd look better, and save money in the long term.

To that point, having climbed the ladder from your generic Myer Branded OTR shirts to Herringbone OTR's, then onto TM Lewin, through to my current rotation of Italian Shirting: Canali, Pal Zileri etc I decided to get 3 bespoke shirts made by Charles Nakhle. I went for the first measure earlier this week and picked out 3 fabrics. Initial impressions were of a passionate, highly knowledgeable and high skilled artisan who immediately wanted to win my business for life through the quality of his workmanship and customer service. Traits which are getting rarer by the day. At $250 each, the price isn't cheap, but ultimately I'm happy to pay that price for quality.

Question for everyone who purchases great casual shirts, is there anywhere in Sydney/Australia that stocks shirts to the quality of Gitman Vintage, Band of Outsiders, Epaulette and Wolf vs Goat? Or do you guys buy most of these items online?

Cheers,
Soapy

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense to me, as they spend considerably more time in their work clothes than they do in their weekend/going out clothes.

Personally, for EVERYTHING in my life, I don't see the point in not having the best. I needed some sneakers, that I'll barely wear, still, bought common projects. Needed some casual outerwear, bought TOJ. Needed a bag for uni, bought a Filson.

Read this http://dcurt.is/the-best

We live in an age of entitlement where everything is about ME and ME being HAPPY, and everything else can go to hell. This shows clearly in all aspects of life including spending patterns and preferences.

When I do mentoring for young entrepreneurs, I use to ask a stupid question: "What would you like to do? What stirs your passion?" And invariably, I get answers such as follows:

"Having coffee and catching up with friends."
"Playing the latest games with friends online."
"Fashion and shopping."

Now, I modify the question to: "What you like to do in service of others that you are passionate about?" Not many quick answers to that. And once they get pass this, the next two questions usually ends the conversation 9 times out of 10. The one time exception and you get a workable business model.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I think the point is that "the best" is invariably much more expensive than "ok" or even "very good". You're going to run out of money very quickly if you stick to that rule.

Amending that policy to "the best I can afford in the areas of my life that are most important to me" makes a lot of sense and is more servicable. I am on barely more than minimum wage at the moment yet own a pair of Edward Greens and my Suit Shop Suit gets comments and compliments were ever I go and looks/feels better than the $2000+ Armani or Burberry OTRs that my superiors wear. On the other hand I drive a beat up old POS car, almost all my household goods come from Ikea, I travel on the slimmest of shoestrings etc etc.

Obviously, you should only buy the best if you can afford to. Common sense comes into play here.
While these are both true, I like to quote what a wise man once told me;
"Much can be said for going without while you wait for what you want or which is truly best".

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
While these are both true, I like to quote what a wise man once told me;
"Much can be said for going without while you wait for what you want or which is truly best".

I hope you apply this rule to home ownership, higher education, healthcare and fine dining.

You'll starve to death before you can afford the 'best' food; you'll be homeless for a life time until you can afford the 'best' house.

Logic, Adam, 'cmon bro.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charlie Munger once told a story of a man who wanted to find the best woman in the world to be his wife. The search went on for quite some time, but he finally found her, hooray! Unfortunately, the woman was looking for the same thing.

lukejackson

Reaction score
Depends hiw you defibe the best. Last time I traveled, i went from staying in an opulent mansion with a staff of seven to sleeping on the floor in a village with no running water and very basic everything. The village life was more interesting and made me happier in many ways.

Do you really need the best of everything e.g. cutlery? Adversity and hardship, even if self-imposed, makes you a better, more interesting person im my opinion.

Buy cutlery from coles next time and give the difference to someone who needs it. I'm sure youll survive without marginally different utensils to shovel caviar or whatever into your mouth haha ;)

Chich

Reaction score
hey guys,

I've just retrieved my suit from the dry cleaners, it needed a good press after traveling from overseas. unfortunately however the cleaner seems to have made me a nice big crease over one of the lapels, the sort that looks like when you accidentally (or not?) fold a shirt over itself and iron over the top.

is there any home remedy to get that out or should i take it for another pressing?

cheers

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope you apply this rule to home ownership, higher education, healthcare and fine dining.

You'll starve to death before you can afford the 'best' food; you'll be homeless for a life time until you can afford the 'best' house.

Logic, Adam, 'cmon bro.
Things like this, are subjective. The best "food" or meal in my humble opinion is Hungry Jack's TenderCrispTM CheesyBacon Burger. I'd eat it for Breakfast, Lunch and Tea if I could, and it wasn't so unhealthy. Two of these Sunday morning is more than enough.

On a side note, really considering the Barbour Dept B Commander Jacket.

CHECKstar

Reaction score

Personally, for EVERYTHING in my life, I don't see the point in not having the best. I needed some sneakers, that I'll barely wear, still, bought common projects. Needed some casual outerwear, bought TOJ. Needed a bag for uni, bought a Filson.

Its **** like this which gives us Gen Y's such a bad reputation

Marbles

Reaction score

Logic, Adam, 'cmon bro.
The logical extension to this takes something of a middle road between the two philosophies, although it can be seen as a soft approach - the car I own is the best because it is the one that gets me to work each day, the house I'm buying is the best because it will be the one earning me an income etc. where other examples which may be more aesthetically pleasing, better constructed or have more prestige attached do none of those things.

As with most things, it comes down to your priorities.

mezentius

Reaction score
ITT: People saying something vague, and others responding to a caricatured extremum of the vagueness.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its **** like this which gives us Gen Y's such a bad reputation
You're right. I believe I worded it wrong. Basically, I just like to spend my money wisely and not waste it on throw away cheap stuff. I don't like buying things and having to replace them, Technology is the only exception.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Controversial statement #41235767

If you're under the age of 45, not gay, and are regularly wearing a bowtie to a corporate work environment on a ******* average Monday to Friday... Then you're a bit of a twat.

Debate that SF.

Marbles

Reaction score
Controversial statement #41235767

If you're under the age of 45, not gay, and are regularly wearing a bowtie to a corporate work environment on a ******* average Monday to Friday... Then you're a bit of a twat.

Debate that SF.
Plenty of twats who don't wear bow ties M-F (judgemental much?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads