• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chich

Reaction score
My local tailor is Zink & Sons in Sydney, but I also get MTM from Shanghai C&G Fashion. I can recommend both, depending on what price you're able to pay.

Thanks for your reply mate. I'm down in Melbourne so unfortunately your local tailor isn't of much use to me. Searching Shanghai C&G Fashion, several really random directory sites all come up advertising the business, however I'm unable to the businesses actual site. Would you have either a link or contact details available? Cheers

...does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of good tailors in Melbourne. You're spoiled for choice, really. Look around, visit them and speak with them, see what you think.

Shanghai C&G don't have a website per se, but you can use this one to contact Amy Yang and discuss what you want:

http://bespokesuit.en.ec21.com/

Chich

Reaction score
There are plenty of good tailors in Melbourne. You're spoiled for choice, really. Look around, visit them and speak with them, see what you think.

Shanghai C&G don't have a website per se, but you can use this one to contact Amy Yang and discuss what you want:

http://bespokesuit.en.ec21.com/

Thanks for Amy's contact details, I'll have to contact her. I currently already have a decent traveling tailor as I'm yet to find a tailor in Melbourne with the same price for quality...however, of course one is always in the pursuit of the ultimate tailor ;)

^^
Good place for all Forum newcomers to start:

http://styleforumau.wikidot.com/wiki:suits-in-australia

Wow, very good and informative read. Thank you for the link.

...also happy to take more recommendations for good quality / fair priced tailors either local or traveling.

Cheers

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Send Amy an email. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised by what they offer (great pricing on tailoring with English wool, real horn buttons, full floating canvas, Bemberg lining etc.).

Chich

Reaction score
Just sent Amy a rather lengthy email, definitely interested to see she/they can produce...any chance you may have a photo of some of their wares floating around on the internet?

ovlov

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply mate. I'm down in Melbourne so unfortunately your local tailor isn't of much use to me. Searching Shanghai C&G Fashion, several really random directory sites all come up advertising the business, however I'm unable to the businesses actual site. Would you have either a link or contact details available? Cheers

...does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks

MAybe I missed the post but amazing you asked for MTM advice and no-one has mentioned PJohnson or Suit Shop. Both available in Melbourne. PJ is a bit pricey but I can personally attest to the great quality and service of Suit Shop. Pm Romp on here and he can give you more info an tee up an appointment.

ryanohare

Reaction score

The only comment I got for my shoes is that how shiny they are.

Pretty similar to the type of comments I get from work colleagues. Usually in a sneering, accusing tone too.

Mostly from fuckwits who take pride in some scuffed, long-laced, used-to-come-in-black, feet abortions. Which ironically they paid $199 for in Aquila, cos they "don't buy cheap shoes you know".

/rant over

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A colleague just picked up his Suit Shop suit this morning. He loves it.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oli2012

BB have a slim fit chino and I think J Crew do as well, they also vanity size so be careful if and or when you ever order a pair. Traditionally chinos are based on military trousers, Bill's use a US Army patten from WW2 as the template for their Khaki trousers. So they are specifically designed as slim or is it skinny fit trousers.

Also if you want to see who the blue blazer white shirt rep tie chino look works just watch an episode of the West Wing, it shows up their quite often.

Anybody bought any of the Levis vintage line jeans? Wonder how they compare to APC and other brands.

I'm really not keen on buying online - my experience is getting things, finding they're not quite right and having to pay out to send them back overseas.

As for levis vintage, I've never had the $$$

Hi Oli, for my part, chinos and jeans should have a quite different fit.

What brand are the chinos, and do you wear them with a crease or not? Either way, iron them how you would wear them, and have them pinned up by the seamstress (or better, an actual tailor). Make sure you move around plenty, as there is a risk you will make them too tight by going for a for that works when you're standing rigid, not walking or sitting.

If you like the length and cuff width of your 501s, that could be taken into account as a vague guide, but the idea of copying sounds risky to me.

Pants are always difficult for me to buy. I spent years lifting weights and am essentially built like a prop (not a good thing).

'Slim fit' on me looks worse than a 30 year old in skinny jeans. On the other hand, I've found a lot of the 'regular fit' at target, country road etc to fit like a bag.

In the past I would wear 503s strictly. These days 501s and 505s really hit the spot as the middle ground. I'm yet to find that in a pair of chinos.

I've owned about 3 pairs of chinos now. Current brand is target. Rise is a good height, too baggy in the legs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads