• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When was the last melb meet? It doesnt feel like that long ago.

Sometime last year, I believe, which would make it more than three months ago.

Sigh.
You Melbournians have all the fun...
Regular SF camaraderie...
Great Shopping...
Top-notch food...
And Carly Cheung from MKR is HOT!!!

We're lucky but so are you guys, man. Sydney's pretty damned nice! Anyway, if you happen to be down here at any point, we can always round up whoever's available and do an impromptu meet up.

Selvaggio

Reaction score

Yeah... I lost interest once he moved away from classic style and went full-blown SW&D Orchard.
Nothing wrong there; one has to make a living after all. Just not my cup of sartorial tea.
Best of all was his series of posts on P Johnson Tailors.
Interestingly enough, because I used to bother hang out with Ethan at H'bone's QVB and Circular Quay stores, I got most of my style advice from the big guy, and not SF in general. And to Guido's credit, I also picked up a lot from his Brog. Good times...

I've been wondering about this. If you didn't need to wear a suit and tie for work - would you?

I remember he posted that the "Orchard" had a strict no tie/jacket dress code - yet it is a business based in the Sydney conservative business dress - and I gather he is in some kind of client relations type role. What are they trying to say by FORBIDDING the wearing of normal business dress? What are they trying to project?

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been wondering about this. If you didn't need to wear a suit and tie for work - would you?
I remember he posted that the "Orchard" had a strict no tie/jacket dress code - yet it is a business based in the Sydney conservative business dress - and I gather he is in some kind of client relations type role. What are they trying to say by FORBIDDING the wearing of normal business dress? What are they trying to project?

I know what you mean.

I work for a medium-sized firm that provides Consulting Advisory Services to the Public and Private Sector; and while the dress code is not strictly coat and tie, suiting up is not in any way, discouraged. In fact, the Group General Manager prefers that more people would wear a suit and tie, and often says so.

It's likely that with Apple, it's the complete reverse. There is a particular image they're trying to project, and SW&D / Orchard dress is not emphatically enforced by Senior Management.

Maybe they're going for the streetwise upstart look that Microsoft used to push...

Last edited:

"6"

Reaction score

Ok, guys, looks like there's a lot of interest in a Melbourne gathering of sorts.

What say we meet up at 6:30pm this Thursday, 29 March at Jwow Wine Bar, QV 243 Little Lonsdale Street next to the entrance to Strike on the corner of Lt Lonsdale and Swanston Streets?

If you can make it then great(!) otherwise, we'll have another catch up in a couple of weeks.

Gerry

I'll probably try to drop by for a cheeky drink after work.

lennier

Reaction score

Well I could wear whatever I want when not dealing with clients' management, it's my company. But I decided to start wearing suit and tie again most of the time when in town for several reasons. The main one was probably that it helps me get my head in to business mode and provide some futile semblance of work/leisure separation :) Plus I've found some pleasure in trying to dress with some style.

lennier

Reaction score

Ok, guys, looks like there's a lot of interest in a Melbourne gathering of sorts.

What say we meet up at 6:30pm this Thursday, 29 March at Jwow Wine Bar, QV 243 Little Lonsdale Street next to the entrance to Strike on the corner of Lt Lonsdale and Swanston Streets?

If you can make it then great(!) otherwise, we'll have another catch up in a couple of weeks.

Gerry

I'm likely not in town this Thursday, so if I'm able to rock along I'll probably be in SW&D mode, or just plain badly dressed :)

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm likely not in town this Thursday, so if I'm able to rock along I'll probably be in SW&D mode, or just plain badly dressed :)

Just bring yourself - it'll be nice to put faces to names. No pressure to dress up although everyone is welcome to bring/wear their latest 'acquisitions' if they so desire :)

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked for a down and dirty agency once where nobody wore a suit and tie but I turned up every day in one. I think people in the office, and certainly the clients, liked the diversity. It mixed things up.

bhall41

Reaction score

Probably not. While I very much enjoy wearing a suit and tie to work each day, I would not do so if it was completely at odds with the prevailing dress code in the work place. I am certainly not critical of PG for changing his work wardrobe - if Apple says no suit and tie, that's that.

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work for the state government. We have Casual Friday AND Casual Monday (yes, wtf?). I could turn up to work in a hessian sack five days a week and no-one would bat an eyelid, so wearing a coat and tie is something I do for my own pleasure only. Getting dressed up for work adds a nice touch of creativity to a day that otherwise requires none.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

I work for the state government. We have Casual Friday AND Casual Monday (yes, wtf?). I could turn up to work in a hessian sack five days a week and no-one would bat an eyelid, so wearing a coat and tie is something I do for my own pleasure only. Getting dressed up for work adds a nice touch of creativity to a day that otherwise requires none.

I'm a contractor for state government at the moment, what building are you in? Personally I'm moving towards trousers + coat with a pocketsquare but no ite as my go-to work clothes. Allows me to have some fun without the constraints of a tie or looking too 'dressed up'.

Also spotted MickeyD at lunch time walking up Swanston Street wearing some black double monks and a navy suit.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
I might be pushing it for Thursday... have French class until 7:30pm, and am flying out to LA 8am Friday morning.... put me down as tentative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads