Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

I go for 5cm cuffs, but quite often and thanks to my dangly legs, there is not nearly enough fabric to allow for such luxuries...*

*filed away under first world problems.

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Huh??

3. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Well played.

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

Only just realised impolyt_one does some japan proxy service. Now I know where to go when I go get some stuff from TSC over in japan!

They are sort of mid market like R&B and Herringbone but about a million times more variety - they have like 15 different cuts with drops 2 to 8 each block - and at fraction of the price. Plus they do lots of funny things with the construction from standard fully lined all the way down to unstructured and unlined. You just have to do a lot of research on their charts to figure out which cut is for you.

They're basically Shinjuku Isetan men's department for the poor.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  5. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

do they have a website to check out?

I'm in Tokyo at the end of the month and am looking out for a store or two to visit.

happy to take any other suggestions too.

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Guys I'm happy to announce that Toby (Tobias) is the winner of the Australian Members tie competition that's been running over on my affiliate thread. There were some great entries and some really great ones right at the last minute, but Toby won it due to a number of things like obviously the way the outfit was put together, he showed off Henry very well, good pose, great photography (no surprise since it's a hobby of his) and the location. I loved there was graffiti in the background too, giving good contrast between a that and the formality of everything else.

So well done and thanks for everyone that participated. Toby pick a tie, scarf or 3 pairs of socks and PM me with your choice.

We've also kicked off our winter sale today and there is heaps on sale to make way for what's in store next season. Still 2 months of winter left and there is plenty of Wintery goodness on there with a few scarves, all ties except for 2 basics and some socks on sale as well. the Sf 10% off code will still work if you buy 3 items or more on top of the sale prices.

Cheers
    Jason

7. joiji

joiji Senior member

Quote: Wish I wore ties now :p

8. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Ties are great !! I love my tie collection, its that 3.5 minutes every morning that reminds me that choice is a luxury and that my daily choice of tie is a reflection of the day ahead and of where my ties have come from - in August my first Grenadines will be here complements of Henry Carter!!. I hope ties never go the way of safari suits.

9. blahman

blahman Senior member

http://www.uktsc.com/

They are just about everywhere, but I say the first place to go to is their Ueno Outlet store, which can be accessed there:
    [​IMG]

Another must has to be Shinjuku's Isetan Men flagship store. Basement has the biggest range of men's shoes I've ever seen including C&J, Edward Greens, John Lobbs. Suits - you get stuff like Huntsman, Isaia, Brioni, Kiton.

I got much too intimidated by the prices at Isetan to get past the first floor to be honest and especially so since I was in my touristy jeans and polos with camera around my neck, while everyone else seem to look all so seriously rich. I really got a sticker shock wen I saw a pair of Lobbs City II for like 200,000yen.

Marui is another department store catering to the little less up market crowd - still damn sight more classy than David Jones. You'll spot those stores from afar as their buildings all have '0101' on them. Might be worth a look at the Burberry Black label things there or if I remember right the Blue label for your missus. They are special brands for the Japanese market.

For Japanese made shoes, might check out Regal which has stores everywhere and are sold at most shoe shops. Prices, quality, and aesthetics can vary and can go up to prices in line with Alfred Sargents for something like these:
    [​IMG]
    Which isn't too bad when considering its Japanese made with italian calf and quite slim and elegant for goodyear welted shoes for this price.

As expected, Muji and Uniqlo are everywhere as are H&M and Topman. One special Uniqlo is in Harajuku, which just sells their UT collab limited edition range of stuff - mostly T Shirts sold in plastic canisters.

If you're into underaged girls type, AKB48 does their daily shows from their theatre in Akihabara. If you don't know what AKB48 is, you'll know as soon as you touch down on Tokyo.
    And for a nice time, try Kabukicho at night or if you don't want to pay that much try your luck at the famous nightclub Ageha.
    Shibuya 109 is a sight to behold for those who are interested in fashion (as oppose to style) or just curious. I went in the ladies store with a lady friend as she went shopping :)facepalm:). You can see the different sort of themes on each floor. The aesthetics are quite alternative, so to speak.

Be sure to duck into some smaller malls with privately owned stores. I visited a small leathergoods shop my first day there where they offer some sting ray and horse arse card cases. Was going to go back there to get the ray one for $80 but didnt get around to it in the end.

Oh I love the convenience stores and the 100yen shops. Especially 100yen shops. I bought 3 100yen umbrellas on 3 separate days when it started to rain :laugh:

Edit: Oh, I know I've said this before, but the service you get from just convenience stores in Japan can put any store in Australia to shame and I'm not exaggerating.

10. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

^^ Awesome!! :slayer:

Just wanted to say I'm super stoked to win the 'Oz members tie challenge' and in particular I'm drooling at the chance to get my hands on some more Henry Carter product (I've picked a grey cashmere scarf).

As I said in my PM to Jason, it was really a pleasure to get out and take a bunch of photos and do my best to try to show off such a great product--winning a prize is just icing on the cake.

Toby.

11. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Blahman - did you get to A Bathing Ape when you in Harajuku? That was something worth the effort to track down. Wasnt easy to find the store but picked up some pretty cool tshirts that I dont see here at all. Challenge was that as an XL, they only had limited choices for Xls....still, was worth the effort. Japan is a great place to shop.

12. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

cheers Blahman, very helpful. I am a bit wary as a large lad (46/56 suit, 10UK shoes) that I'll find it hard to find clothes that fit.

i'll make myself an itinerary in the next couple of weeks. Off to Singapore this week with a few bolts of fabric in tow for a visit to Iris.

13. blahman

blahman Senior member

Nah, didn't try to find Bathing Ape. Never heard of it until now :laugh:. I'm not particularly familiar with the street wear side of fashion so I really only know the very mainstream ones.

Congrats to Tobs for the win. You're quite lucky I injured my back or else I would have found a half naked young lady to showcase the tie, in which case I would have won quite easily.

14. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

blahman should run japan shopping tours on the side

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Nice work! It was a very nice shot. Hopefully we get to see shots of the scarf as well soon [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.