Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Well, far be it from me to defend the ATO, but I think what they would say is that if you believe with good reason that you are overpaying tax and will be due a refund, you can apply to alter you withholding rate during the remainder of the tax year (but very few people do it).

2. meister

meister Senior member

All true. Because my accountant told me after years of paying these onerous PAYG instalments for a profit back before the Flood. But then I had a soft landing when it came time to file the return.

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

I think just by being prepared for tax at the end of the year is good enough. What happens when you pay these instalments is that 1) you overpay 2) you forgo the interest payments you would have earned if you just put it in the bank. When you overpaid tax you dont only lose interest on the amount if tax you really need to pay but also the amount that should remain in your account or for immediate consumption as well. So effectively you are paying even more tax tHan what the numbers suggest.

4. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Does anyone here own the Herring Attlee? Or the Shakespeare?

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Crappy day Gerry?

I had a good yarn to tell about Henry the Wombat I meant to yesterday.

On Sunday I went for a cast out at one of our local dams and on the way home stopped off at the river that flows out of it to go for a walk and see how it's looking. It's spawning season for trout so the rivers are out of bounds till October but anyway, as anglers do I thought I'd go for a walk, see how the river looks and prospect for a few future spots. So I'm walking along in the scrub with no one around and I hear a bunch of rustling on the other side of the river. Thinking it was another person went over to say g'day and realised that there was a big real life Henry the Wombat looking back at me! I tried to get a pic but he went back in to his hole before I could get the camera out.

So I thought it was a good omen and now I like to think the Henry lives in a little hole on the Queanbeyan River, not far downstream from Googong Dam.

And the river looked great by the way. But then again, there's always a river.....somewhere.....

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I have the Shakespeare II...

7. sliq

sliq Senior member

i'm juggling two jobs. keen to quickly build the assets!

re work related expense; for my second job, i might be able to get away with them IF meermins made "steel cap" shoes haha!

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

Can't you just request your company logo to be pasted on the heel of your shoes (where visible) and ask for a detailed invoice stating that your company's logo is on the shoe. When the shoes arrive just take the logo off :p.

I am actually thinking of having company monogram on a shirt pocket which is sewn on to shirt with basting stitch and just remove pocket when arrives...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Be sure to only order pants with a really tight arse as well.

10. blahman

blahman Senior member

I have no qualms with paying as little tax as possible, as it is going to the most inefficient user of funds in the entire country. Everyone should be encouraged to pay the minimum amount and not 1 cent more to the ATO.

Here's where your tax money goes to: admin fees and red tape, overpaid contractors, politicians holidays. And sure as hell the politicians all write as much off in tax as they can, why should we do otherwise.

11. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

12. Prince of Paisley

Agree with you completely, but at some point you have to do a CBA; how much is your time worth? Why would you go to that trouble for a few bucks back on some cottonwork shirts? We're not talking offshoring your multibillions to the Caymans are we?

Just give more to charity.

Like Gina does(n't).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  13. blahman

blahman Senior member

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

14. Prince of Paisley

15. budgiesmuggler

budgiesmuggler Well-Known Member

Anyone know the difference (if any) between the Australian Brooks Bros shirts (as sold by Myer), and the US Brooks Bros shirts?

I've got an Au one, but wondering whether I should buy from the BB US website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.