• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello local SFers, for the first time in my life (I'm nearly 40) I'm looking to dipping my toes into buying some 'quality clothes' (maybe not the SF version of quality, but something that would at least wouldn't look like a pillow case from Lowes :)
So I've read a couple of hundred pages of SF to get me started, but this thread alone is nearly 1000 pages so forgive me if I'm asking the same old questions.
Can some one short-list some bang for buck suit, shirt & shoes I should start with? I went into DJs in the city (Syd) and got lost with the sheer volume of stuff. I won't be going for $1000 suits, $150 shirts and $400 shoes first off, but I think I should be able to get a passable suit for $300-400 during the EOFY sales (West End by Simon Carter at DJs for $299 etc), $50 shirts (lots online), $200 shoes (Loakes form Pediwear - good thing about Loakes is DJ stocks them so I can get fit then order online).
Any tips/local advice you guys can share with a bogan looking to reform? The other advice I've learnt is any suit will probably need to be tailored to fit, so if you can point to a good tailor?
Also I'm off to Singapore in a couple of weeks, I'm guessing I could probably get everything cheaper there? I've heard about Iris Tailor but am only in town for 6 days so prob not long enough to get MTM?

Welcome to SF!

For good suits on sale at approx $400, try MJ Bale or Herringbone. If you're in VIC, check with the Melbournians on this thread; they know where to go for excellent deals (I see Azzaro mentioned a lot...)

CEP

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey Jason, your stuff needed to be in that SF lookbook mate.

God there was some awful **** in there.

Really? I haven't had a chance to have a look through yet, I did see the email about it though.

Spent my Sunday arvo photographing samples that came and a lot of the night getting these babies all ready for despatch tomorrow....

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We still haven't got a now for the wombat have we?

Asta

Reaction score
Hello again gents,
Just thought that I would post the alteration results of the sack suit that I came here asking for advice on some time ago (for those who remember).
I'm fairly happy with the overall results!

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello again gents,
Just thought that I would post the alteration results of the sack suit that I came here asking for advice on some time ago (for those who remember).
I'm fairly happy with the overall results!

It may just be the angle of the picture . But the jacket looks a bit too long imho.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
might need to see it buttoned up and head on to properly judge

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Welcome to SF!
For good suits on sale at approx $400, try MJ Bale or Herringbone. If you're in VIC, check with the Melbournians on this thread; they know where to go for excellent deals (I see Azzaro mentioned a lot...)
CEP

Azzaro have a sale on at the moment. get a nice Antichi Telai suit.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Popped by Harrolds melbs on the weekend. New Thom Browne stock (on top of their Black Fleece) in now. Also some YSL at 30% off

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
IF Durban suits fit you well, buy it. IMO they use quality fabrics and are very classic in their tailoring.
I'm not a 100% on the construction though
Agree that they do use some nice fabrics and that they have a classic cut in the Jacket, but, the trousers are the worst fitting suit trousers in my wardrobe. There is seriously something wrong with the cut specific to the belt band and front fly construction - basically its rubbish. I have talked with the people at DJs, they all just nodded and looked blankly at me like I was from another planet. If anyone in the market for Durban, make sure you are happy with the trouser fit.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
Really? I haven't had a chance to have a look through yet, I did see the email about it though.
Spent my Sunday arvo photographing samples that came and a lot of the night getting these babies all ready for despatch tomorrow....
Bring on the Grenadines in August....

Looking at this Photo, cant wait!!

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I ordered a pair of charcoal odd trousers over the weekend, but now I'm having buyer's remorse due to the colour--I'm wondering if charcoal is really too dark to work as an odd trouser and whether I should ask to change them for something else.

Any thoughts?

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I ordered a pair of charcoal odd trousers over the weekend, but now I'm having buyer's remorse due to the colour--I'm wondering if charcoal is really too dark to work as an odd trouser and whether I should ask to change them for something else.

Any thoughts?

I've got a couple of pairs in reasonably dark greys, and I think it works fine, so long as you can make it look far enough away from black to justify bothering with it. Are they just a solid colour, or do you have any sort of a pattern in the fabric?

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with the above. As long as they aren't easily mistaken for black it should be fine. Pair them with a crisp, arctic white shirt and you'll be fine I reckon.

Last edited:

g-banger

Reaction score
+2 for the charcoal trousers, aslong as they are not too dark they match very well. I love wearing my howard yount charcoal pants with my brown herring oxfords to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads