• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenJKS

Reaction score
I have a question for fellow aussie SFers: When wearing a suit in summer, do you wear an undershirt under your dress shirt?

On one hand it would be nice to have something to absorb the sweat and prevent it staining the suit, on the other hand it would make you sweat more.... ???

If so, what style/brand? Bonds v-neck?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srendam
I spose you're right.

I want to cop these:
http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...Worsted/Detail

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...r-Shirt/Detail

Would the shirt be better than something I can cop from borrellei?

It really depends what you are looking for in a shirt.

Reasons to buy Borrelli include handstitched collar band and shoulder seams, supposedly hand-stitched buttonholes, very thick mother-of-pearl (MoP) buttons, tall collar band, and good cloth.

But if you want a particular pattern and you can't find a Borrelli shirt in that pattern, or if the Borrelli shirt styles don't fit you very well, then there's little to no point buying Borrelli. It's far better to buy a cheaply-made, well-fitted shirt than an expensive, handmade shirt that doesn't fit you well.

The Epaulet shirt is a different style to Borrelli. Whilst some Borrelli shirts are cut reasonably slim, there are other Italian brands out there that are slimmer, such as Barba and Finamore. The Epaulet shirt sounds as though it is cut quite slim, with darts in the lower back and a shorter tail so that you can wear it untucked if you wish. Borrelli shirts don't have those features - at least not their dress shirts (but you can have darts added by a tailor if you wish).

So, in essence, they are two different shirts. Borrelli have more handwork, but might not have the style that you are looking for.

I've bought Borrelli shirts and other products from forum sponsors Shop the Finest (Ian) and Virtual Clothes Horse (Lance) and they are both great to deal with.

mrbig

Reaction score
srendam: check out ehaberdasher and shop the finest, as well as virtual clothes horse and ebay shops. Journeyman makes good points which are very worth considering. Don't forget M.J. Bale, I saw a shirt at my local David Jones and the construction was half-decent, unfused collars and cuffs, decent fabrics. And i *think* theres a stockist in Brisbane. They go for about $150-$175 if I remember correctly and are pretty good value for money if you're in a rush. I'm also pretty sure theres a slim-fit, fashion forward line as well as a traditional, classic line.

BenJKS: I've never worn an undershirt with a suit in summer. It's simply too hot! Also, if you're staining a suit with sweat, that's something to get checked out by a doctor. I've only had stains on shirts but that is because of the aluminium compounds in the deodorant i was using at the time. Also helps if your suits are of a cotton, linen/silk or something quite lightweight, or alternatively an open weave cloth.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BenJKS
I have a question for fellow aussie SFers: When wearing a suit in summer, do you wear an undershirt under your dress shirt?

On one hand it would be nice to have something to absorb the sweat and prevent it staining the suit, on the other hand it would make you sweat more.... ???

If you're prone to sweating, you'll sweat anyway, but a singlet will only make you sweat more. I wear them in winter at times and yes Bonds is the brand.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was a heavy sweater and Canberra is very hot in summer but I started using this stuff called No Sweat a few months ago and it has made so much difference that now during the day, I literally do not sweat at all in the underarms.

Basically it creates pore plugs where you spray it on, and you only put it on once every 2-3 days at night after a shower once the area is completely dry and that's all you need. It's bloody brilliant, and available fairly easily online.

To answer your question, yeah I tend to try and not wear undershirts during summer to stay cool and the no sweat stuff will make it a lot easier this year because I've thrown out way too many nice shirts because of sweat stains.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
I was a heavy sweater and Canberra is very hot in summer but I started using this stuff called No Sweat a few months ago and it has made so much difference that now during the day, I literally do not sweat at all in the underarms.

Basically it creates pore plugs where you spray it on, and you only put it on once every 2-3 days at night after a shower once the area is completely dry and that's all you need. It's bloody brilliant, and available fairly easily online.

To answer your question, yeah I tend to try and not wear undershirts during summer to stay cool and the no sweat stuff will make it a lot easier this year because I've thrown out way too many nice shirts because of sweat stains.

No Sweat, eh? That sounds promising. It's hard for me, as I appear to be allergic to most underarm deodorants/antiperspirants (at least those with aluminium), and those without aluminium don't seem to help much. Not a problem in winter, but in the hot Aussie summer, can be something of an issue. But I will look into this No Sweat product, at least. Thanks Charlie.

jhdas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
I lived in Wellington for 7 years but unfortunately my sartorial interest was only sparked when I move to Australia.

Others may be able to help you better if you give an idea of budget. Good luck!

Cheers! I'm thinking maybe up to ~$400 for some shoes, $800 for a suit, NZD. Somewhat flexible, though, if the quality's good.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhdas
Hi guys, I was sent over from this thread I made to ask if any of you know where to get good clothes in New Zealand, specifically Wellington. I'm mostly looking to get a good suit or two that fits well and won't break my budget.

Thanks in advance!

Rembrandt - does a few brands and a fair ish percentage of small shop branded stuff sold here. A few of the MTM people here in OZ use the Rembrandt factory in NZ as I understand it.

A bit on the NZ industry

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers! I'm thinking maybe up to ~$400 for some shoes, $800 for a suit, NZD. Somewhat flexible, though, if the quality's good.

No idea on suits in NZ but shoes might be better going Pediwear or Herring online - I think everyone here has had good experiences with both Herring and Pediwear - order online Friday night here and it will likely be on your front verandah by Tuesday.

jhdas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
No idea on suits in NZ but shoes might be better going Pediwear or Herring online - I think everyone here has had good experiences with both Herring and Pediwear - order online Friday night here and it will likely be on your front verandah by Tuesday.

Awesome! I was just looking at Herring's website. Looks like they've got some very nice shoes at good prices. Might buy some today.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Awesome! I was just looking at Herring's website. Looks like they've got some very nice shoes at good prices. Might buy some today.

+1... if you know your size.

I've used Pediwear and they were great. $400 NZ (what's that, about $20 AU? Just kidding) can get you some Loakes (go Loakes go the 1880 line), but probably not much else.

BenJKS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbig
BenJKS: I've never worn an undershirt with a suit in summer. It's simply too hot! Also, if you're staining a suit with sweat, that's something to get checked out by a doctor. I've only had stains on shirts but that is because of the aluminium compounds in the deodorant i was using at the time. Also helps if your suits are of a cotton, linen/silk or something quite lightweight, or alternatively an open weave cloth.

Well I've never actually stained a suit with sweat before but I notice it if I've been walking around in the sun wearing a dress shirt on a hot day. I'm picking up a new suit next week so thought I'd be proactive... Brisbane summers are killer !

Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely try this.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BenJKS

"Horses sweat, gentlemen perspire and ladies glow"

I often hear that people wear singlets under shirts etc in summer and the theory is it soaks up the sweat - seems weird to me - would only make you hotter and the thought of walking around all day in a hot sweat filled piece of cotton makes me shudder. However I have noticed the odd person doing it.

Stick with pure cotton shirt - a mix of poly ( usually referred to as [shudder] "Easy Care") in the shirt will trap in heat and mnake you sweat more.

I don't sweat much, except say on the bike and there I usually wear a technical or wool top that wicks the moisture away to the outside and lets the wind dry it off. Cotton in this situation just gets wet and cold - if its a cold day - hence wicking.

The technical tops can stink a bit even when washed after a while but wool never stinks and can be worn a few times without washing. Cotton just gets wet. So if you are going the undershirt route I'd suggest something wool - with v neck - its around - expensive in hipster bike shops, cheap in ladies shops and 10 X cheaper in Target (they occasionally have very thin merino woollen tops in ladies wear - keenly sought by bike riders).

Talking about NZ - http://www.nzoactive.com/au/index.ph...ucts/wool.html
http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products-MER.htm

Alas - most of the thin merino tops are NOT white in my experience.

I am sensitive to most underarm balm around (I like to think I'm generally a sensitive person all round) and used to get a rash from, I suspect, the aluminium, but since switching to the "natural" Thursday Plantation Ti-Tree deodorant and/or anti-perspirant I've had no problems. Plus its very Australian, Ti-Tree no less and natural, hell I feel like a bushie and a Greenie, I feel like a cross between Bob Brown and Macca from Australia All Over. Makes me so proud I want everyone to smell my armpit and chat.

I don't think we have worked out how to deal with formality and the heat here yet. Essentially we have just abandoned the formality and put it all in the too hard basket. I did notice the other day that Simon Crompton has also picked up on my idea (not that I thought of it first but I arrived at it independently before reading him) of the 3 piece suit and vest combination in the modern house and office with heating and air con.

Southern USA has the seersucker suit - I've never found sensible summer suiting or jackets around here.

edit: I forgot to add, in regard to hot weather, that shoes without socks is an abomination in the eyes of the lord and I do believe was one of the triggers of Sodam and Gomorrah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads