Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

From memory, the VAT discount covered the shipping for the pair that I purchased.

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Does anyone here own Herring shoes in their 'mahogany calf', and if so, would you be willing to post a couple of pictures of what the colour actually looks like? I feel like their stock shots always differ because of the studio lighting or something..

3. meister

meister Senior member

pretty fast from memory.

4. joiji

joiji Senior member

I only picked up some polish, but it was about 2 weeks, maybe a little less.

5. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

My last order from them - some Saphir products - was 31/5, arrived middle of last week. Not sure if shoes would take longer.

6. Naka

Naka Senior member

We're all fairly MC-oriented in this thread, but there are a few Aussie streetwear guys kicking around. I might pop into the RO thread, I haven't looked at it in ages.

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

What I'm Wearing Today
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm going to a wedding in a weeks time. I wondered if the jacket colour is formal enough? The collar grips the neck nicely but I see a bit of creasing, divots and torque in the sleeves. Do you think this can be fixed cheaply by a tailor in a week?

Also are the black gloves a bit too formal for a wedding? The light coloured suede on gloves ads a light touch don't you think? BTW - Does anyone know how to get sweat off suede?I made an effort with the pocket square but would it look better folded neatly and ironed - I think it adds sprezz or something.

[​IMG][​IMG]

My G/F says the black pants give a nice contrast to the jacket but I think they may be a bit too stacked on my shoes. Should I get them shortened?
    I'll be wearing the brown shoes as I see on this forum that brown shoes are much preferred over black. Should I try to darken the edging and put some patina and a mirror shine on the toes? Would I be able to get a tin of Saphir patina shipped by urgent air mail by next Wednesday?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

8. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

IF Durban suits fit you well, buy it. IMO they use quality fabrics and are very classic in their tailoring.

I'm not a 100% on the construction though

9. hairyfish

hairyfish Member

Hello local SFers, for the first time in my life (I'm nearly 40) I'm looking to dipping my toes into buying some 'quality clothes' (maybe not the SF version of quality, but something that would at least wouldn't look like a pillow case from Lowes [​IMG]
    So I've read a couple of hundred pages of SF to get me started, but this thread alone is nearly 1000 pages so forgive me if I'm asking the same old questions.
    Can some one short-list some bang for buck suit, shirt & shoes I should start with? I went into DJs in the city (Syd) and got lost with the sheer volume of stuff. I won't be going for $1000 suits, $150 shirts and $400 shoes first off, but I think I should be able to get a passable suit for $300-400 during the EOFY sales (West End by Simon Carter at DJs for $299 etc), $50 shirts (lots online), $200 shoes (Loakes form Pediwear - good thing about Loakes is DJ stocks them so I can get fit then order online).
    Any tips/local advice you guys can share with a bogan looking to reform? The other advice I've learnt is any suit will probably need to be tailored to fit, so if you can point to a good tailor?
    Also I'm off to Singapore in a couple of weeks, I'm guessing I could probably get everything cheaper there? I've heard about Iris Tailor but am only in town for 6 days so prob not long enough to get MTM?

10. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

11. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

If you're going to get Saphir patina, get the Medaille D'Or version in neutral - nothing like neutral patina for a pair of shoes. Also, I hope you're not planning to wear socks.

Other than that, you look pretty full of steez.

12. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

off the rack in singapore will depend on your size. they don't stock the bigger sizes.

for Iris tailor they do bespoke rather than made to measure. In six days you'll have enough time if you make an appointment for the day you arrive and get 2-3 fittings in. If they can't get it done they'll mail you the finished product and adjust again if needed (unlikely) next time you're in town. Fact is you budget isn't in their league. Youd need to double it at least, plus a bit more even for their basic fabrics.

13. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Hey Jason, your stuff needed to be in that SF lookbook mate.

God there was some awful shit in there.

14. hairyfish

hairyfish Member

15. hairyfish

hairyfish Member

Oops hit the wrong button...

I'd be willing to pay more for MTM (not sure I'm ready for bespoke yet) because I'd at least be getting advice from an expert and would have some sort of guarantee of fit, I'm not sure I'd pay $600 for a RTW then have to pay another $100-$200 to have it tailored (or is this what I should be doing?) I'd like to think that for a first go, I can get away with something passable for under $500 (?). Remember I'm not looking to win any style contest just yet, only want to move off the Target range into something 'acceptable'.
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.