Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Hey, to the guys who have bought from Meermin – how exactly do you do it? Do you have to fill out that form and they contact you via email or something? Thinking of trying my luck with their double monks.

2. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

+1

On an other note, I am seeing Gerry Nelson's wonderful shoe photographs everywhere across #menswear websites at the moment, well done GN. Who let that man loose with a proper camera.... Oh well, taking photographs could be the addiction that keeps his fingers away from the "Complete Purchase" button on those shoe retail websites. Look forward to seeing some more, esp. that P Johnson suit that is on order (perhaps with a pair of pink socks?).

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

If Rembrandt does supply to Joe Black, then a half canvassed suit with Dormeuil fabric plus included alterations can be had for a little over $500. That is a decent price for a suit not coming out of China or Thailand. Rembrandt branded suits also go on sale fairly often in DJs as well.

Actually I'm interested to know where a full MTM suit can be had for $300. Looking to get a friend in for his first decent yet affordable suit.

And I'm still trying very hard not to jump on the dub monk bandwagon.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I don't know if you can really go wrong with MJ Bale. Also, they do free shipping and unconditional returns within 21 days with free return shipping, so you risk nothing by ordering...

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

6. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Thanks for the kind words - credit for starting this goes to thebrownman for gently 'encouraging' me to get a better camera! Yeah, the suede and shell collection shots have been popular [​IMG]

The suit should be ready in a couple of weeks although it must be said that half the reason I go to see Tom is to play with Frank the velvet dog! I do have a pair of unworn pink socks that I'm saving for a special occasion ...

7. blahman

blahman Senior member

Fletcher Jones is actually undead. They are now an online and shirts only operation. Someone must have eaten FJ's brains and turned it.

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Gotta say (and I'm going to get on my high horse a bit) that this is a bit offensive to me, given I started my menswear career here and spent 5 years learning all sorts of technical stuff do with fitting and MTM, fabric knowledge blah blah blah.

Regardless of how they finished, any company that survives for 88 years in a country as young as Australia can hardly be referred to as rubbish. For much of the 1900's they were Warnambools largest employer and were a huge supporter of the Australian Wool industry, owning many mills here to keep quality control top notch and weave their own fabrics. Some of the fabrics I saw even in my own time had to be seen to believed, the type of stuff most iGents would cream themselves over (or possibly never even heard of). Cavalry Twills, melange, Harris Tweed, Hopsack etc and Dormeuil and Holland and Sherry in the MTM books.

They had an in house Dry Cleaning and Alterations service that you could drop stuff in from any store in Australia, no matter how old and they would be sent back to Melbourne or Sydney on a daily basis to be done. Old blokes used to bring in old 14-15oz trousers that were 30 years old for dry cleaning in perfect condition, you can't call that rubbish now can you? Waist sizes from 78cm off the rack right up to 130cm in 3-5 cm increments and 6 different leg lengths in stock! No one does that. Lines around the block when sales were on.

Anyway enough of reminiscing of the old days, even when I left in 2002 as a store manager at 23, I was continually pushing head office to start innovating, getting rid of the old fogies clothes and they didn't listen, and now here they are....

9. Prince of Paisley

Jason - the sentiments expressed were not mine.

10. Henry Carter

Yes but those sentiments weren't expressed by Toby towards FJ's if I'm not mistaken? They were expressed towards Country Road. Not even in the same league as far as History, quality and all that stuff goes.

Anyway, here are a few photos of the glory days -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Prince of Paisley

The point I make is it's not nice to dance on graves, regardless of the history, but especially because of it. To say no one will miss Country Road if they go under is akin to saying no one misses FJ... those who don't remember them when they made good, local stuff maybe won't miss them.

And even if they both ended up selling o/s made stuff (which, as a matter of pure taste, is not favoured by the minority of stylish superstars on this forum), to say either company deserve to go broke is pretty insensitive. Even worse to imply that it's good for the country.

12. lychee

lychee Well-Known Member

Initial contact through that form on the website. They contact you back and you just go back and forth. Just be specific with what model and type (suede or black calf etc). Unfortunately there was a misunderstanding on both ends, and I got sent some suede cap toes instead of the black calf ones I ordered. TNT picked them up on Monday to return.

13. Henry Carter

Ah right, yes I agree on this totally. Sorry I thought you were using Toby's post to convey that same opinion, my apologies.

Being a business owner, I don't like the idea of anyone going out of business that's worked hard to build something up. I do remember when Country Road was all Australian Made too, though I must admit I think their styling is a lot better these days now they have gone off shore whereas FJ's was the opposite, better when it was Australian made.

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

The owner of failed bicycle chain BSC Bikes blames a ‘‘perfect storm’’ of retail industry woes, including unfair competition from internet outlets, for the surprise collapse of his company.

Peter Hess called for a special levy on internet retailers to level the playing field with local shops.

‘‘The solution for that in my eyes is not only add GST to online purchases, but add an extra internet levy to even up the prices and enable the local market compete with the net,’’ Mr Hess said.

Sad that this chain has closed, but no surprise after reading these comments.

15. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

what is everyone's opinion on khaki suits in Australia? These are very uncommon in Sydney, and i work in finance. As much as i want to wear one, i don't think it would be appropriate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.