Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

2. meister

meister Senior member

:lol:

3. meister

meister Senior member

Expensive . Go to Hayel and Son Alteration & Tailoring in Pitt Street. Lvl 3, Suite 301/ 250 Pitt St Sydney NSW 2000

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Hey does anyone here have any familiarity with Rembrandt suits?:

http://www.rembrandt.co.nz/

Also, does anyone have any MJ Bale suits? Any particular favourites among their offerings? Their website seems to offer a lot of very similar-looking suits...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

5. quar

quar Senior member

Your post reads poorly. The irony. :D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

6. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

+ 2. Who dresses like that. The lower the button the lower the IQ isnt it?

7. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

I just watched that too and the how to fit a suit video that showed up next. First thing I saw was the chest, which is odd because he's not female. He's gone just that one little bit too far, to the point where it looks a bit too obvious. Not to my taste. The black polo with that jacket on Patrick didn't work for me either but I'm a polo hater. The whole thing had a very Australian, very casual vibe.

I'm feeling all conservative now, even though I wear some oddball stuff in some people's opinion, "you're wearing that crumpled jacket again."

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

They used to do good stuff many years ago - a nice line in sportscoats.

They make for a different market now I think but I haven't had a look at any of their stuff for a few years.
    They do a lot of the MTM for smaller shops in Australia that is shop branded and they run a few brands of their own, Rembrandt is only one of them.

Probably reasonable value for money.

9. lychee

lychee Well-Known Member

from the rembrandts i've seen, nothing good.

10. lennier

lennier Senior member

Joe Black is one of those I believe.

11. blahman

blahman Senior member

So Rembrandt can make a business out of selling goods made in New Zealand at a fairly low price surely it is just as viable to have the same in Aust.

12. Simon at Elite

Simon at Elite Affiliate Vendor

I wouldn't call $695 for an altered factory made suit a low price. In fact I'd call it rather expensive. Where are their suits made? How are they constructed? All their websites are scant on details and I ask why? If their suits are so good and worth $695 then why not tell us why?

They say that their local production unit is based Lower Hutt, near Wellington which makes me think that they have a non-local production unit also which is probably based somewhere in Asia. $695 for an altered Asian made fused canvas suit made from a select range of performance fabrics (which makes me think they are poly blends) and an extra $100 for a fine wool fabric is rather expensive when you can pick up a full MTM in a number of places for around $300. Someone somewhere is making a lot of money.

Admittedly I don't know anything about the company and I could be completely mistaken in my first impressions. They could be making full canvas suits from high quality fabrics but if so then why not tell us?

There are many options available in Australia far better and cheaper

13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

14. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The problem here is there is no one skilled to make them anymore. People aren't learning tailoring as a craft in Australia now, they all want to be graphic designers!

Fletcher Jones (RIP), daggy as they became had a wonderful factory down in Warnambool which had a big emphasis on in-house staff training. But that was then and this is now. Unfortunately they had all the other issues such as not innovating, clients dying off etc that brought them down and it was sad to see the start of it first hand when I worked there.

I think it's a big call to say there are better options that are cheaper without ever having seeing the product first hand. FWIW, I owned a pair of Rembrant trousers around 15 years ago at the ripe old age of 17. They were fantastic, they actually had those horizontal fishmouth pockets that one of you guys were asking about a few pages ago. I liked them so much at the time I ended up getting I think another 4 pair made with the same pockets MTM when I worked at Fletcher Jones.

15. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

I am considering this jacket from MJBale, since they are out of the Westferry in size 36. Anyone had seen this one in person?

Wood Dobby Navy Jacket
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.