Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

If true, good riddance to baaaad rubbish. Free up that capital to be put to more productive use.

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

Country Road WAS broke when it was selling good quality items. It was a strategic decision to bring it down market to keep it alive this past decade.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Naturally a true (excellent quality) bespoke tailor will give you more (across the board) than a a made to measure service, particular an offshore made to measure service, irrespective of how good their customer service is. Being measured by your cutter is a great benefit for a start.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

4. quar

quar Senior member

I don't know if I'd agree with this.

I remember Vox saying that he still has fittings for all of his Steed orders, even though he has ordered a million and one coats from them. Every fabric and every style of coat differs (even if by a small amount). Using the same piece of paper to cut each coat doesn't guarantee an optimal outcome in every instance. The fitting process is still important in my opinion.

Let me just add, this is all minute bullshit anyway, and all theoretical. I'm involved in this discussion because I find it interesting though.

Look at this coat that WWC made for Parker. Excellent Bespoke stuff like this costs money and time. I can't recommend WWC enough if anyone here can get to HK to be fitted.

[​IMG]

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Everyone says that, until it's THEIR job...

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Feel free to go to Country Road and buy some of their tat in order to let them keep their jobs a week longer if you like :p

7. joiji

joiji Senior member

Anyone here in the market for raw denim? I've got a couple of pairs that I'm looking to get rid of due to them being too large.

Unbranded 301 (Straight leg, indigo) Size 32.

Waist: 16
    Thigh:11
    Knee:8.75
    Hem:8.5

APC New Standard (indigo) Size 32

Waist:16
    Thigh:11
    Knee:9
    Hem:8.5

APC have had about an inch taken out of the waist. Neither pair has more than a dozen wears, so nothings faded or set yet.

I'm not sure how much to ask for them, but does $75/pair sound fair?

8. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Sorry to clarify I fully agree that one will get better fits especial for unusual cloths if one does fittings for every jacket. In my case and I'd assume many others this is difficult (tm) for any form of traveling and/or nonlocal option. What I would argue however if one is only getting a final fitting on subsequent orders -- which I would assume is the norm for much of WWC's non local clients, it is much of a muchness.

Certainly in Deer's case I'd suprised if we couldn't ship it back and forth for a basted fitting (at the customer's expense)... However the expense would be non trival and you'd also have to confirm this with Neyus.

In my case I suppose the ideal outcome would be to be shipped the swatches, fly in get a basted fitting, go off to do my other stuff (read surfing) and come back for a final fitting and either take it back to me or get it mailed depending on the final outcome.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

9. couleur

couleur Well-Known Member

I went to M&E Alterations on Collins a few days ago, had the sleeves on two blazers extended approximately 4cm, and one blazer needs a length shortening. She charged me $210, $70 for each job. I think I got ripped?

10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Went to the Rivoli in Camberwell today. There's a vintage clothes shop nearby called Deja Vous. The have a new PS Paul Smith navy pinstripe suit in a size 52/36. Condition looked good, although it needs a good clean. They're asking for $245, but they can probably be negotiated with.

11. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Shortening a jacket might run to that much, but I think I've only spent about $25 to have the sleeves extended. That might be more if the jackets had functioning buttons.

12. sliq

sliq Senior member

sounds like you did.
    mine charges about $35-$40 for taking down/bringing up sleeves. does an excellent job. i'm in sydney/parramatta.

13. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Even with the shortening it shouldn't be that much I've had well done shortening for 50-100ish (including recutting the fronts from the bottom button down.) The only explination I can see is working button holes and hence having to alter it from the shoulder -- Check the shoulder pitch is still (or has been) correct(ed) then.

14. bbboy05

bbboy05 Member

I use M&E quite regularly for my suit alterations. i can confirm they are slightly more expensive ($50 to shorten sleeves from the cuff, $110 from the shoulders; ie for suits with functional sleeve buttons), but I have been very happy with the craftsmanship hence have stuck with them since.

I think most places charge $40 for shortening sleeves from the cuff.

15. blahman

blahman Senior member

Diablo is down, nothing to do. Time to shine some shooz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.