1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

2. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

What sizes will they come in (I'm a 40 EU)?

3. sliq

sliq Senior member

keen!

4. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Just received my white chinos from ModernTailor. Nice soft cotton, good fit. However I can't help but thinking I should be umpiring a game of cricket while wearing them.

5. Romp

Romp Senior member

Yeah 40-45eur for the mens. Our collaboration pair is camo pattern suede which might be too funky but there are a bunch of "normal" colours too. I love these shoes so much I may ask to do a style-forum one off pair too
    thanks - i cant wait to show them!

6. Robert Meredith

Robert Meredith Well-Known Member

Yeah, can't wait to get a hold of it. Welcome home.

7. sydneystyle

sydneystyle Member

Can't wait to see (and then buy [​IMG])your loafers Romp!

I'm in the process of upgrading my business wardrobe - an area that needs particular, urgent, attention are my shoes. I previously had to pairs of Loakes which i abused and are in terrible shape. However, making the most of a bad situation I've decided to go for an upgrade. I've just ordered a pair of C&J Lowndes and a pair of C&J Hallam's (both in black).
    Any suggestions for a third shoe for work? Budget is something up to A$450. Did want the Carmina Simpson Loafers but they are out in my size and not sure it's the ideal 3rd shoe choice just yet.

Have also decided on upgrading my bag - have my eyes set on http://www.ettinger.co.uk/collectio...ase/pursuits-olive-havana-wimbledon-briefcase Thoughts or alternatives?

Cheers

8. Romp

Romp Senior member

Ettinger FTW! I want one of the green/brown totes

$450 - looked at Aldens or Alfred Sargent? Im currently considering a pair right now as well

or what about the derby on simp last ? http://www.thearmourystore.com/shoes/carmina-black-eyelet-derby-simpson-last

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  9. charliechan

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/alfred-sargent-exclusive-collection-price-asc

10% Alfred Sargent Exclusive until October 19, I got the Armfield for 281 pounds (approx A$450), free postage
    http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/c...sc/products/alfred-sargent-exclusive-armfield

The Hunt (full brogue) is also quite nice

10. benny

benny Well-Known Member

Sydney definitely needs better footwear. I needed to have my Aldens shipped from the US or have some of my friends who visit there purchase for me.

11. Romp

Romp Senior member

12. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

^Darn my tiny feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Romp

Romp Senior member

We also do ladies... [​IMG]

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I suppose that it depends at least partially on the particular last used, but I take a UK9 in C&J on the 348 and 337 lasts and my Alfred Sargent for Peal & Co/Brooks Brothers are a UK9/US10.

To get an idea of the shape, you can see pics of them in my post here.

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

That's a nice-looking bag, but certainly not cheap (despite the good exchange rate at present)!

If you like the idea of having a cloth/leather combination, Filson is the classic choice (although arguably a little more casual than the Ettinger). Filson's 256 and 257 briefcases come in tan, olive and brown colourways. I've got a tan 256 and love it. Despite having a few other bags, including a couple by Swaine Adeney Brigg, the Filson gets the most use.

Also, have you thought about Billykirk as an option? Have a look on the Billykirk website here, or for a "Billykirk for J.Crew" option, see here.

This leather bag from J.Crew looks quite nice, too.

Still on the all leather idea, what about RO Bags? They're carried by The Armoury in HK, amongst other places - you can see their differing sizes here, here and here.

I hope that gives you a few other ideas to mull over!

16. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

Dropped into Bonaparte's boutique on the way to the airport today. My first time there, a nice little store. I grabbed an unstructured cotton jacked for a fair price. They're doing some sleeve and shoulder alterations (free) which is nice.

Will have more time for a better look through the store when I pick it up.

(Loving the inflight wifi !)

17. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

As much as that should offend me...it will probably fit [​IMG]

18. charliechan

Thanks Rob.. looks like I'll hold off on these until I see your wares :)
    http://www.mrporter.com/product/311561

19. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Odd question but... Plain t shirts, especially white, anyone got a good source?

I've decided it's high time to retire my collection of Bonds tees and... wow have their prices gone up since I last purchased.

Just after something crew neck, reasonably trim fitting in the body and waist & good quality.

I kinda like the blue jeans white t shirt look for summer weekends :satisfied:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  20. jobro

jobro Senior member

What are the soles like? I could easily run through the soles on a pair of Tods in a month if I didn't have a big rotation. Lucky for me I found some great alternatives from Lacoste and other less costly brands but I'm really keen to find drivers with solid soles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.