Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Thanks, Plestor. Soon, I will be getting a pair of trousers with side adjusters and I have also asked for brace buttons to be included. The clip on style don't appeal to me. Thanks for the suggestion about Thurston braces.

There also seem to be a number of them on ebay at a reasonable price.

I like the idea of banishing belts from the wardrobe.

Are you having the belt loops taken off all your trousers that you will use for braces? My preference is leaning towards side adjusters and brace buttons instead of belt loops for my flannels and suit trousers.

2. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Gerry, I went away on holiday a couple of years ago and handed in all my pants to have belt loops removed and brace buttons put in. Never looked back.

The best thing about it is you never have to worry about matching belts to shoes again (which can get really hard once you branch out into more exotic coloured shoes) and also the overall look is much nicer without the visual break at your midsection.

Re: where to get braces from Albert Thurston is the way to go. They make braces for many various companies and they don't always feature them on their own website. A site where I've purchased a few from is http://www.classicwardrobe.co.uk

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

I'm quite unfamiliar with those situations myself. Haven't seen anyone at work dressed inappropriately.

Weddings on the other hand... you get the odd jeans wearing dad guests but what really stands out are the young white (usually spray tanned) females in some short little dress that you would expect to see in a night club with the doof doof doof. And they appear to be convinced that what they are wearing is elegant formal or evening attire.

Oh and Meermins: how are they compared to Loakes and even Cheaneys.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

4. joiji

joiji Senior member

It's a bit below SF approved, but Country Road is having a decent sale over the next couple of days. Cardholders start tomorrow, I assume general public is Friday/Weekend. I quite enjoy their cuts, and if you avoid the blended materials, the fabrics are great, too.

5. beersandwich

beersandwich Member

do you mean suits? would a country road suit be better than the zara ones?

6. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

I'm still up in the air about converting some of my summer odd trousers (Crispaire/ Fresco). Be careful with just taking off belt loops tho -- oft the rise may be to low to comfortable (or even usable with your normal length braces). Some of my stuff is also on its last legs // had too low of a rise as well... This reminds me I still have a 2nd pair (of pants) on one of suits with belt loops that I need to get changed.

My Current plan for future purchases is fishtail (possibly a back tab) on most suits; very casual suits, suits that I'd split or odd trousers would probably be normal waist // side tabs (non Daks).

As for matching leathers on belts, when I wear them, I just have brown ideally with some colour variation covering everything but black and black. Although to be fair I don't have shoes* that aren't some kind of brown (including redish browns) or black.

* Bar stuff like boat shoes or drivers which I don't wear a leather belt with.

Appolyn's comments on Thurston's work is very true -- if you want something a bit diffrent it may not be on their site even if it is Thurston branded...

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Bit chilly today in our nations capital

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coat: Paul Smith
    Scarf: Henry Carter Neckwear camel cashmere
    Jacket: Herringbone
    Shirt: CW
    Tie: Henry Carter Neckwear 7 fold
    Trousers: HY Flannel
    Shoes: Carmina

8. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Gant Sale 50% off June 7th-9th, in case this interest any of you chaps. Just print off and use.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

9. blahman

blahman Senior member

Saw a pair of Peter Werth tan suede loafers at Myer on the weekend in the clearance section. Extra 75% off the sale price down to under $25. In my size. Ask the guy for the other shoe to try on. Went down the back for 10 minutes. Came out empty handed. Devastated. Would have been a serviceable pair of casuals for weekends or slippers to go to the toilet in middle of the night or even go gardening. :(

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

You can also get a full suit of medieval armour in there, if that's your thing.

11. Prince of Paisley

Belt AND braces... insecure much?

12. Prince of Paisley

Did you ask him if you could buy the remaining shoe for $12.50?

13. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

I bought the same shirt. nice shirt, but I had a screaming headache the first day I wore it - it's one of those patterns that 'strobes' out of the corner of your eye. REALLY irrittating.

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Never have my size.

15. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Tchoh can't believe you are still buying your armour OTR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.