• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhof5421

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
Whats the go on Superga's. Any shops sell them in Perth? How much is Herringbone selling them for, the 2750's.

I bought a pair from the Queen St store in Sydney for $90 a few weeks back. So far, no complaints.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhof5421
I bought a pair from the Queen St store in Sydney for $90 a few weeks back. So far, no complaints.

Thanks for the response. Do they fit true to size? I might have to order online.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Received a package in the mail yesterday from the states. Benjamin Sartorial suit from ehaberdasher. Took it in for alterations today at Final Touch, so will review their work when I get it back next week.

ecclespeccles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by East of Eden
Oh how I wish that the US Ralph Lauren online store would ship to Australia , some of the deals going around is unbelievable.

confused.gif

why don't you just get an american styleforumite to proxy for you? i'm sure it would be easy to find someone if you start a thread asking for help.

EP

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spring racing season is here.
Anyone a fan of the races?

Some consulting guy

Reaction score
Anyone from Melbourne happen to have a view on the Strickland & Sons suits that seem to be popping up around the city? I noticed a new store in Queen St, just near Lt Collins (opposite the ANZ HQ building). Suits there are selling for around $1,200 to $1,300, though they had end of lines in random sizes for around $695. The SA told me they were floating canvas chest, but I didn't discuss any of the other details with him.

I took a look at the Strickland & Sons web site today and they are trumpeting the recent arrival in Melbourne of their first showroom outside of the UK, although they are referring to a different store in Bourke St. Their website notes "Designed specifically for the Australian climate, these suits are made to the highest standards of quality and fit. Lighter weight fabrics from English and Italian cloth houses have been used to enhance comfort and wearability". I wondered if that was some kind of code for suits being made to cheap-ass Aussie budgets?

Anyhow, I thought the end of lines might offer some good buying. Anyone here have any views on the quality or style?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Some consulting guy
Anyone from Melbourne happen to have a view on the Strickland & Sons suits that seem to be popping up around the city? I noticed a new store in Queen St, just near Lt Collins (opposite the ANZ HQ building). Suits there are selling for around $1,200 to $1,300, though they had end of lines in random sizes for around $695. The SA told me they were floating canvas chest, but I didn't discuss any of the other details with him.

I took a look at the Strickland & Sons web site today and they are trumpeting the recent arrival in Melbourne of their first showroom outside of the UK, although they are referring to a different store in Bourke St. Their website notes "Designed specifically for the Australian climate, these suits are made to the highest standards of quality and fit. Lighter weight fabrics from English and Italian cloth houses have been used to enhance comfort and wearability". I wondered if that was some kind of code for suits being made to cheap-ass Aussie budgets?

Anyhow, I thought the end of lines might offer some good buying. Anyone here have any views on the quality or style?

SomeConsultingGuy, Strickland and Sons have been discussed a bit further back in this thread - as you say, they sound like a reasonable deal.

I've quoted a few of the previous posts below. According to the previous posts, it seems that the jackets are half-canvassed.

Originally Posted by Tarlee
A heads up on a new range of English suits in Melbourne. The shop is Baxter Trout, on the south side of Bourke Street between Russell and Exhibition. It has previously been a one-man show selling mostly shirts and a handful of ordinary Italian suits at around $450.

They have branched into suits by Strickland & Sons. This is an old Savile Row outfit bought a couple of years ago by Richard Anderson. He is said to have designed the range now at Baxter Trout.

They're worth a look. All are Holland & Sherry fabrics, a few plains but more than a few with a lot of personality -- including worsted flannel chalkstripes (the idea of worsted flannel does my head in; it looks like flannel). The SBs are two button, characteristic English cut with flat front trousers. The DBs come with double pleated trousers. Jackets are half canvassed with a nice lapel. Side vents. There is also a small range of very tempting sports coats with flash overchecks.

At $695 (suits and sports coats) they are tempting. I tried a 42reg and it was not bad (I'm really a 40L), needing only a bit of a turn forward in the shoulder. I would have bought but I've promised myself my next suit with be a three piece SB with pleated trousers. So close but not for me.

Be interested if anyone has seen these and has an opinion. If you drop in for a look please post a note here.

Originally Posted by __PG__
I also went to Baxter and Trout and had a good-ol chin-wag with the guy who imported all the Strickland and Sons suits.

These suits are made in China from Holland and Sherry fabrics. They are half-canvassed with hand-padded lapels, padded collars and hand-finished button-holes. Interior pockets are cut into the cloth (in true bespoke fashion), not cut into the lining.

Suits and sports coats available in pin stripes, chalk-stripe flannel and glen-plaid check.

Stunning value at $695.

What can you say...for those good boys who've been saving their pennies, now is a great time to go shopping in Melbourne. Unfortunately I'm all spent for the winter and am now in financial hibernation.... ****.

Originally Posted by __PG__
Here is their webpage : http://www.stricklandandsons.co.uk/

I'll definitely check it out. Based on those prices I'm presuming the suits are fused, made in China?

Originally Posted by neyus
They are partially fused but half canvassed.

Some consulting guy

Reaction score
Thanks Journeyman.

I remember reading those posts, but for some reason I didn’t recall it as a discussion on Strickland & Sons. I actually had in the back of my mind that I should go back and review the earlier posts you have quoted, as I had a vague recollection of some other worthwhile suits in Melbourne being discussed not too long ago.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a squiz twice and a try-on of jacket only once. I liked what they had. I also thought the Burke street guys combined a nice sales smooth line and banter with a decent knowledge. I'm slightly regretting I didn't buy at $695.

They have swatches/ books of the H&S cloth they use. Jacket fitted me better than any OTR /RTW I've tried and the guys picked up my body idiosyncrasies without prompting. No one else except the tailor I use have ever commented - I suspect not out of politeness but out of ignorance.

bhall41

Reaction score
I recently tried on a few Strickland & Sons suits at their Bourke St store. TBO I didn't particularly like the cut of the suits, at least on me - they were too structured in the shoulders and generally boxy. Having said that, the suits are great value at $695, particularly as they are half canvassed and use decent cloth. I ended up buying another Herringbone suit!

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41
I recently tried on a few Strickland & Sons suits at their Bourke St store. TBO I didn't particularly like the cut of the suits, at least on me - they were too structured in the shoulders and generally boxy. Having said that, the suits are great value at $695, particularly as they are half canvassed and use decent cloth. I ended up buying another Herringbone suit!

I'm usually a 41R /42R (+ alterations) and a 40R was perfect (except for a bit of mucking around) on me - so either they are cut true and everyone else is a bit small or they are a bit big. I seem to remember they had pretty nice waist suppression but I could be wrong.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a while for a couple of basic Oxford Cloth Blue Button Down - a good old fashioned roll to collar would be nice - all I can see that seems ok on price and quality is Landsend.

My gut tells me that the USA cut will be extremely generous and to order half a size down or else end up with a huge sails around the middle and sleeves.

This bit, about the dreaded athletic fit, (which I suspect is usa talk for big and beefy) increases my concern about "American fit"

"Even fits an athletic build, thanks to slightly wider shoulders"

Has anyone got any experience ?

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally i'd give cottonwork a go, the roll on there button down looks quite nice and though while I haven't bought any with BD yet, my boss is now on to them and he has, it looks very good in real life. Then there is no need to worry about the fit, just measure your favourite shirt.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Personally i'd give cottonwork a go, the roll on there button down looks quite nice and though while I haven't bought any with BD yet, my boss is now on to them and he has, it looks very good in real life. Then there is no need to worry about the fit, just measure your favourite shirt.

I've put an order in for one of their shirts and am looking forward to delivery. Speaking of which, how long was the lag between order and delivery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads