1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quar

quar Senior member

Well pony up a baller budget so that you can stop complaining about the country of origin.

A bit like a guy with a budget for a new car of 25,000 complaining about the lack of locally made or German cars at his price-point.

1 person likes this.
  2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Unnamedplayer,

Points for trying but they aren't very good, which I'm sure you can see, no offence. Your $11 cost turns in to about $30 fairly quickly when you add your time, let's say conservatively 1 hour per tie at a minimum workers wage. Plus your other on costs such as packaging, labels, advertising, business costs, income tax on your profit etc etc and you have an $80 tie very easily.

It would be easy to say I'm being critical because I sell ties and you questioned my prices and its probably true, but I think it applies to almost everything. Where do you stop? Shirts are too expensive, so make them yourself too? Trousers? Suits? I'm just not sure why ties are singled out when a lot more handwork and time goes in to a $100 7 fold tie than a machine stitched $200 OTR shirt.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Hey I'm back guys! (haven't had the urge to post)

Got my Meermin's yesterday: http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2345
    Loving them (although that might be the 'start-up' phase) they feel stiff but should be better in a couple weeks; thinking I might try a review of these guys when their broken in :)

P.S. guys post some summer outfits (just round the corner); don't need photos maybe just a couple a pieces.
    P.P.S
    first suede shoe so any shoe care tips other than the spray?

Thanks

4. Romp

Romp Senior member

PS - I think its all about sockless loafers, summer weight chinos and a nice shirt and roll the sleeves when its hotter...
    [​IMG]

PPS - get a suede brush .. not too stiff

5. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Booze and Babes. Chinos and other accoutrements are all secondary in summertime. :slayer:

6. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Quote:
    Went this look on my recent trip. Had to say my enjoyment was seriously hampered because I couldn't get FXH out of my mind.

7. Romp

Romp Senior member

this is true. I can make you a pair of seer-sucker stubbies to go with your VB singlet

8. ZirconiumZephyr

ZirconiumZephyr Well-Known Member

This might be a long shot but I do remember seeing some Newcastle folks in this thread before.

I'm looking for a tailor to do some basic alterations. I've tried Mark&Basil in Hamilton but I don't have the most confidence in their work....

They insisted on taking in the waist of a jacket from the centre seam, which, reading on this forum is not something that should be done if it can be avoided. This was an unvented jacket as well.

Am I being picky, should I have specified side seams (though telling ones tailor how to do something seems a bit wrong), or should I find someone else (not easy in this small city)?

On an unrelated note, got my HC tie yesterday, green with spots, beautiful :D

9. Romp

Romp Senior member

i bought the same one! wore it yesterday

10. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Anyone get anything good at the HB sale today?

11. md2010

md2010 Senior member

HB = Hugo Boss ? lol

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

How were they pieced together? Bits of thieves? Bits of murderers? Evil stitched to evil stitched to evil. God help your loved ones.

1 person likes this.
  13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Either Henry Bucks or Herringbone.

I know that Herringbone has a mid-season sale starting today, with up to 50% off. Well, the "VIP preview" starts today, in any case - click here for details.

14. Prince of Paisley

[​IMG]

Of the jacket shoulders, not your delts....

15. sydneystyle

sydneystyle Member

Hi guys

Off topic question - want to have a dinner for a group of roughly ten people. Any suggestions on good places around the Sydney CBD that won't have set menus (i realise that 90% of places will). Was thinking of places in line with district dining, berta, foveaux etc.

Any help much appreciated [​IMG]

Cheers

16. Prince of Paisley

Are you looking at just the Central end of town near DD & Foveaux or anywhere CBD?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  17. sydneystyle

sydneystyle Member

Anywhere in the CBD

Thanks

18. Romp

Romp Senior member

Bodega, Mr Wong, Felix, Porteno?

19. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I'm going to be in Sydney tomorrow. Can anyone recommend an awesome cafe in perhaps Woollahra or Paddington?

20. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

The HB site doesn't appear to have anything different in the sale section than it did last week. Anyone gone into a store yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.