1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhubarb jam

rhubarb jam Active Member

I feel your pain. 8% ciders certainly don't taste that strong at the time. [​IMG]

My better half is currently in NYC and I'm hoping you may have some pointers on where she should look for male clothing and more specifically accessories. I'm in need of a leather overnight bag amongst the usual ties, PS, shoe trees etc. The poor girl will be using every bit of her 40kg baggage allowance. I know there's a multitude of threads on the main forum but I trust your opinions more! :) Thanks.

2. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Totally agree, case in point is some $300 boots my gf bought. They're PLEATHER ffs.

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Well I survived my bucks weekend, just. I've not been so crook for a fair while and had to get one of my mates to drive my car home but it was a great weekend all the same. No grog for a few days now.

I am on holidays now though so that's a bonus.

4. Romp

Romp Senior member

maybe better suited for the other forum but does anyone know how the various 3sixteen jeans fit and if anywhere in sydney stocks them?

Cheers
    Rob

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Clothing-wise, what about Epaulet?

6. tailoredstuff

tailoredstuff Well-Known Member

Epaulet already pointed out by Gerry.

Chipp2 for ties - I've red they sell quality grenadine for $47.50

Blue in Green Soho for Denim

Nordstrom and search Google for "mens department stores new york" you will get a few there

Will be in NY next February and am planning to go to those places for sure!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  7. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Is Century 21 still a wortwhile spot? A long time since I was there.

8. rhubarb jam

rhubarb jam Active Member

Hmm would be interested to know. A colleague said they often have Hugo Boss underwear for $9 which isn't bad for basics. Other than that I have a feeling it might be a bit Ed Hardy, Roberto Cavalli like...

Top work TS. I'll investigate those options, thank you.

9. tailoredstuff

tailoredstuff Well-Known Member

That was on my list as well... last time I was in NY was 12 years old.

Just doing some pre research on shops to go to. Will report when I return!

10. jobro

jobro Senior member

The best advice I can give you is for you not to give any advice to your partner what so ever regarding clothing (I learned the hard way). Perhaps when her expensive items start to break suggest to buy quality products next time (eg genuine leather instead of pleather [fake leather]).

Respect your partners clothing choices and it will make life a lot more pleasant. Or buy her the quality items.

I'm speaking from experience here, I too could not stand forking out $xxxx for polyster items.

11. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I agree wholeheartedly with this advice. If she does ask me, I'm honest in terms of the fit - whether it's flattering to her figure or not.

12. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

13. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

I think I will try harder to follow this. It's not just quality, there are certain things that are worn by young women that do not flatter the female body. My number one issue is with dresses/tops that are banded around the bust and then flow loose. These have come to be known, as crude as it is, as "tit curtains". TCs seem to ruin any body shape in an instant. I also have issues with:

-doc martens or any unheeled boot, which appear to be destroying hundreds of pairs of legs each time I venture near vintage markets
    -heavily detailed flower patterns on dresses which ruin shape and wear the user
    -more than one necklace
    -pant suits

But given my experiences and this advice I shall try to shut up about these around women. It appears healthier and less risky to discuss women's clothes with straight men online...

14. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Speaking of denim, I'm after something reasonably specific. I don't own a single pair of jeans at the moment... :embar: Something I think it is probably about time I fixed.

So what I am after is something in quite a light wash, sort of similar to this I guess (http://www.tresbienshop.com/brand/apc/petit-new-standard-indigo-clair) but perhaps not looking as "dyed" and a bit more natural. Not too much pre-distressing would be good too.

From what I understand, this rules out "raw" denim, which seems to be all the rage. I probably couldn't be bothered making the effort required with that anyway since these will get worn maybe once or twice a fortnight - in which case "breaking them in" would require several years of my life.

In terms of fit, I need something that is fairly generous around the thigh area. My Epaulet Rudy trousers are 13.25" thigh 12" rise approx. Then ideally fairly slim around the calf and ankle, but not hugging my leg. I imagine If I found something that fit up top but was a bit too loose for my tastes down bottom I could just taper it though?

Anyway I essentially know nothing about jeans and all the random jap brands that everyone talks about so I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

15. sliq

sliq Senior member

here's a good place to start: http://hypebeast.com/forums/denim/44141/?topic_page=1

also a very VERY lengthy APC thread on here.

i have the APC petit standards in black. they are a snug fit. i sized down 2 sizes and they've stretched out to my waist size, 32. bought them from a swedish online store, sukauto. service was excellent and they were on sale + free shipping. totalled $130ish iirc.

check out Nudie jeans - i have 3 pairs and they're my favorite go-to jeans. for a cheaper alternative (with quality), dr. denim or cheap mondays are swedish jeans, and are hard to beat at about the $90 + price point.

ASOS is worthwhile checking out

16. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That last sentence sums it up pretty well. That whole subject tends to go under he heading of "things we don't talk about".

17. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

As a change of topic, what do you guys think of Polyvore? Can you see it being used by menswear fans?

Romp, some of the clothing/accessory collage type things you post remind me of Polyvore, I'm sure you could use it, as it has the added benefit that all items could link directly to the Owen and James website for purchasing.

18. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Thanks, that is good general denim advice but, no offence, not too specific to the things I really want (fit and wash wise). I appreciate it though.

It looks like in APCs the New Cure would be the way to go. Unfortunately they don't seem to come in the wash I'd like. Any other recommendations for jeans in a similar fit?

I know I am being lazy, sorry, - there are just so many denim threads on this board and others that its a bit overwhelming.

19. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I used to like that look circa late 80's early 90's of women read 30 something wearing docs with a nice dress. Sexy if you ask me and I find nothing wrong with 'tit curtains' ( that is if the cleavage is present) as it harks back to the baby doll look of Bardot in the 60's.

As for women and fashion I will occasionally be taken to a "SALE" by the wife for the use of my plastic, then she might try on 3 or 4 items and then pick one. But as a designer for stage and screen she has a very good eye.

Also if anyone is after cheap reasonable t's for summer the CR sale has them down from $60 to about $14 at present. Got a long sleved striped t for me and one for the son the weekend.

20. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I suggest you just go to the shops, and buy the one that fits you best and you like best. You only need one, and it will be such a low risk purchase. I can only recommend Sydney places with higher quality denim:

Incu at Town Hall Galleries for APC
    General Pants for Nudie Jeans
    Corlection on Pitt Street for assortment of Japanese selvage
    Harrolds for Naked and Famous (you probably would not like these)
    Ksubi, Diesel and Levis at David Jones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.