Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

I am actually giving serious thought on pulling the trigger on these babies. Burgundy can be dressed up and down as easily as brown and damn they look nice. The only thing holding me back is does Herring Shoes offer a reconditioning service for their house brand shoes?
    ?

2. lennier

lennier Senior member

If they'd had the burgundy option when I bought mine I would have been seriously tempted I think.

3. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

I think these are great, but too sleek for a tall guy. Im 6 foot 3 so i def need a rounder toe

4. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

Can't go past Lino for style tips!

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

They look great! A double monk in burgundy calf is pretty special.

6. Gerry Nelson

Hey CD, those look beautiful! I was in the same boat as you with regard to the shine. What really helped me was sitting down with Christian one evening. First he showed me what to do and then he polished one shoe while I polished the other. After some time, we would swap. That gave me a really good feel for it. I'm planning to go and have a refresher session sometime.
    I like those longwings - both the brown and the black! I'm with you regarding the black bluchers - not sure how much casual use you would get out of them. Does it have to be a black pair?

7. kickstart

kickstart Senior member

We all do stupid things at some point.

One of my stupid things just happened to involve one of my Herringbone suits...(mid blue PoW check.)

Yep...threw up all over the sleeve.

Has anyone had any experience (hopefully successful), removing alcohol induced vomit stains from a suit.

I cleaned it up as best I could on the night and did a pretty decent job yesterday - took it to the dry cleaners this morning who said he would 'treat it' before putting it through.

He seemed totally relaxed about the whole situation - but I'm pretty concerned the stains won't come out.

That being said, I did have a little drop of oil come out of one of my other suits with a dry clean - could the vomit really be that much worse? (However the suit is not as dark and about 30% of the left sleeve was covered...).

Fire away - I do also recognise that getting drunk the point of throwing up all over myself is disgraceful, not to mention in such a nice suit. It's the perfect reason why I haven't had a big night since NYE...and at least it's a little reminder as to why I haven't been drinking much.

8. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

I really want to get those long wing bluchers from Meermin but I don't know how to order them...are people just emailing Pepe? What sizing are they using on the shoes? UK? Euro?

9. joiji

joiji Senior member

Pity about the black longwings is they come with a danite sole, which is the same as my other pair of black wingtips. I think I'll steer clear this time of the black, but the brown are definitely on the list. Only reason I didn't pick the light brown pair of blutchers is I already have a pair of boots in a similar style, plus I'm trying to pick up a few more leather soles. I have enough danite/rubber to get me through the bad wet weather for now. My other thoughts were a pair of penny loafers, and have an email into Pepe about the availability of other colours (they had 5 or so in the same picture a while back in their tumbr) as I don't think their dark brown, which is more of a burgundy in most lights, would suit them well. Blah. I can't see myself loving any other pair out of those original 4 other than the brown longwings at the moment, so I will let you know what happens.

We are. He stopped taking new customers a while back, however, so I'm not sure if he will go ahead with you now. Email him, and if he doesn't I'm happy to tack another pair on for you and then ship them to you once they get here?

As far as sizing goes, UK is the way to go. You'll have to talk to Pepe about sizing, but I went up slightly from my UK size due to the last and the fact I have a slightly wider foot. If you have a pretty average width pair yourself, you can probably stay your normal UK size, or go down 1/2 a size even. Have a look in the Meermin thread for more thoughts regarding the different lasts.

10. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

thanks joiji!

11. Gerry Nelson

You can even polish scotch grain [​IMG] This took six layers - 2 layers of dark brown, 2 layers of black and 2 layers of neutral wax.

C&J Coniston:

Pic from the C&J site:

[​IMG]

After a polish:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2012

12. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Those look unreal Gerry!

13. Gerry Nelson

Thanks, jaypee. I think my polishing 'teacher' is going to be pleased to see how these turned out.

14. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

fxh - agree with your points about op shopping. I also like the unexpected surprises. Can just see you riding around sockless on your fixie between op shops. Never be embarrassed by a pink shirt, esp. a good pink oxford, they are beautiful.

GN - will need to get you and Christian to take me through some shoe shine techniques, these results look fantastic.

15. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

I went to a work function at Oaks day about five or six years back. Somebody had recently introduced me to scotch and dry, which was my drink of choice all day. Somehow we managed to get a boat loaded with free grog back from the races (!) that dropped us off at some random bar at Docklands. Ended up having a few more and felt that it was time for me to head home. After stumbling around the wasteland that was and is the Docklands, I found a taxi to take me home.

At the time I was living with my parents and the taxi ride would have been 45mins to an hour, so naturally I fell into a drunken slumber. I woke up I about 2 mins from home with the urge to chuck that could not be contained. In the interest of saving time instead of getting the taxi man to pull over, I wound down the window, popped my head out and proceeded to expel 16 hours of mixed drinks, canapés and lunch. Once done, I sat back in the seat feeling quite pleased with myself for about three seconds until I realised that I did not in fact have my head out the window, but instead sprayed the inside window, rear window and the entire left hand side of my suit jacket. As expected, the taxi man was not happy, but I managed to calm him down with my trusty old cab charge card.

About 1min later he dropped me off at home covered in the excesses of the day. I took the jacket off in the front yard and in a drunken stooper took out the front garden hose and sprayed off the jacket - seemed like a good idea at the time. I then went inside and dropped the jacked in the bathtub and filled it with water.

The next morning, realising the extent of what happened, I took it to the dry cleaners, who could not get rid of the aweful smell. I tried a second, and he too couldn't do anything about it. It was at that point the jacket was officially retired.

This, of course was a pre SF Dom Bagnato suit, so probably was not a total shame. It was also the last time I had scotch and dry.

Last edited: May 20, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.