Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

G'day Romp,

Nice blog, where have you been hiding?

That watch sounds really nice.

Cheers
    Jason

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Wonderful first the jumper I want from Ireland an XXL is only a 46 chest? WTF are the Irish a race of midgets?

and now this, the future is not looking good.

Importers close door on overseas online stores
    RACHEL WELLS
    May 11, 2012
    Read laterComments 605

The deals being negotiated between local importers and international brands could bring an end to the heavy discounts shoppers now enjoy online. Graphic: Liam Phillips
    AUSTRALIAN consumers will be forced to pay substantially more for their favourite fashion brands as a growing number of local importers reach agreements with international brands to stop selling their clothes to Australians on overseas websites or to lift their web prices.

While this will be welcome news to the country's struggling retailers, it means shoppers will no longer be able to save up to 50 per cent by buying labels from overseas.

The distributors, who typically have exclusive wholesale rights to some international brands in Australia, say they have no choice while the government refuses to lower the $1000 GST-free threshold for imported goods.

Advertisement: Story continues below

The International Fashion Group's Jacki Bresic at a Toorak boutique yesterday: "It is the only way we can compete." Photo: Eddie Jim
    Jacki Bresic, of the International Fashion Group, last month reached an agreement with popular US denim brands Paige Denim and AG Adriano Goldschmied to prevent major international online stores, including the Amazon-owned Shopbop and Revolve, selling their jeans to customers here.

Meanwhile, celebrity denim favourite True Religion agreed it would continue to sell to Australians - but at a higher price.

Ms Bresic said she was working with her other import brands on the issue.

''It is the only way we can compete on price with these overseas websites and try to prevent more and more retailers from closing their doors,'' she said. ''When you've got overseas websites selling the same pair of jeans for $100 or $150 cheaper because they don't have to pay the outdated taxes and duties that we do, then what hope do we have?''

Mattias Friberg, director of Some Agency, which imports Swedish brand Dr Denim, said preventing international websites from selling to Australian consumers was the best ''Band-Aid'' approach to stop the flow of sales going offshore.

He has negotiated with Dr Denim to prevent UK online fashion giant Asos selling the brand to Australian shoppers.

He said brands such as Dr Denim were agreeing to limit sales to Australia or to sell at higher prices because it helped to ''protect the integrity of the brand and the retailers who have supported the brand in this market for many years''.

The Age is aware of at least half a dozen fashion distributors, some who import up to a dozen brands, who have reached agreements or are negotiating to set prices or limit supply to Australia.

The increasing trend of retailers blocking access to US websites has also led to a rise in companies that forward items on to Australia for a fee.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission did not want to comment on individual cases, but a spokesman said ''impediments to emerging competition involving online traders is an area of priority''.

''Certain behaviour employed to underwrite regional pricing strategies can in some circumstances raise concerns under the competition provisions.''

3. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

Whats your experience with GIXEN?

I use Auction sniper and it seems to do the trick though fees can add up...

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Has always worked perfectly (and free-ly) for me, thought that is probably only a half-dozen or so times.

5. lennier

lennier Senior member

Anyone know of an alterationist in Melbourne who does a decent job with knitwear? I only recently discovered that they existed at all.

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

Looks like we'll just have to use package forwarding services then. Which will increase our prices paid by like what 15%? Still cheaper than buying in Australia.

7. Deapht

Deapht Well-Known Member

nice jacket [​IMG]

8. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Thanks jason.

I guess long time viewer, blog started mainly as a scrapbook so i could refer to it when commissioning bespoke/mtm pieces and grown from there!

Nice tie btw - 7 fold, is it tipped or untipped?

9. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks, this one is self tipped but is a sample only. The first 4 x 7 folds I did for this season were all self tipped as well, but I am going to do some un-tipped ones for next season (release late August i'd say). This one in particular is quite thick and will work well un-tipped, but I need to be careful too as there are some beautiful thinner fabrics in all the swatches I just got that will need a bit of extra thickness from the tipping. I thinks it's important not to do just un-tipped for the wank factor or because it'll look good on someones blog, how it affects the knot is always my main concern first and I don't want to start lining the 7 folds. Moving forward to next season though i'll be doing all 7 folds (bar some new knitted ties) and lower qty runs to be more exclusive, only 10 per fabric as opposed to 20 now.

10. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

Leprechauns.. to be sure to be sure.

11. fox81

fox81 Senior member

youre too nice. boycott any brand that wants to do this to force consumers to pay more for the same product.

12. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

This country is getting crappier by the hour

13. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

That wouldnt be too hard. I never buy those crappy hipster brands much anyway.

14. blahman

blahman Senior member

Except some of them aren't really hipster brands... Like Asics. But too right, I steer clear of hipster brands with their ridiculous names that charge ridiculous prices because they label their stuff fair trade or organic or that they have a punny name.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  15. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Such and attitude in one so young. Just think Friday afternoon,the end of the working week. Beer, (or pinot noir for that matter) pizza, football beckons what more do you want?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.