Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

Thought I would share my new purchase with everyone- these arrived today. They are my first "adult" pair of shoes (by adult i mean not aquila standard!). Second hand but in great condition

Gaziano and Girling Rothschild

[​IMG]

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

You went from Aquila to G&G as first shoe!

I don't usually drool - but the waist on those is wonderful.

4. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

They fit really well allthough there is a lot of room in the toe box. I am probably more of a 7.5 than an 8 but there is no hell slippage and seem great.

I hadnt planned on jumping straight up to G&G- i love them of course but first hand they are prob a bit out of my price range. They popped up on the classifieds threads and here they are. Makes my day better as i was outbid on a pair of carminas today on ebay. Damn computers. What a day that would have been.

5. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Great advice here. I too lost a fair bit of weight (20kg) last year and got a lot fitter. The result was that I had to get rid of most of my wardrobe as I was just too big (tried to get a few things altered but it turned out to be a fruitless endeavour, even stuff that used to be tight was too large). So I decided to slowly and surely build a versatile and classic wardrobe (with the odd impulse/random purchase to keep it interesting).

Once I got to a decent weight I got a suit made by P Johnson Tailors. I love it and the benefits of getting a MTM suit are multiple but here are 3 lesser discussed.
    1. Getting a great MTM suit gives you another incentive to stay in shape.
    2. If the suit starts to be too tight watch you diet and exercise regime.
    3. If it starts to get too loose go for takeaway!

Good luck with the sartorial journey (I can recommend P Johnson Tailors - very much looking forward to getting another suit and some shirts made up) and the weight loss (James Duigan's book Clean and Lean helped me, as well as lots of training, but everyone needs to follow what works for them).

6. Gerry Nelson

You make some interesting points - I lost about 25kg last year but was waiting to get to a consistent point before going down the MTM path. I read somewhere that Tom (at P Johnson in Melbourne) upon hearing that a prospective customer was beginning a new exercise program, actually advised him to hold off getting his suit made until his body measurements had 'stabilised'.

7. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Hi gecko.

Azzaro stocks Canali, which have a cut that's well-suited to those of us a bit thicker in the middle. You might be able to find a Canali there for about 1/3 what the menswear shops will charge RRP. Some of their other stuff, like Versace, might be too slim-cut for you.

I have a few nice 2nd-hand suits in 46 and 44 that don't fit me any more. However you're a few inches taller than me, and are probably an L rather than a R, so that might not help much.

8. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

That was me - but my issue was weight gain rather then weight loss. In fact, although I did not intentionally set out to 'bulk up', we still had to increase my chest and arm measurements on my latest commission marginally compared to my first two (not significantly, but more in the pursuit of perfection).

9. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

lovely shoes. This is going to sound really anal, but try 'swapping' one of the directions you do your knots when tying your laces (i.e. instead of R over L, R over L, try going L over R, R over L). It'll make the bow site nicer. Someone suggest it to me last year, and it took a while to get used to, but it makes a MASSIVE difference, and my laces NEVER come undone during the day now.

10. Gerry Nelson

This?

11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

This works.

Good point about stabilising GN.

12. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

I really want some Longwings by Alden :drool: but I can't seem to find out where to get them...

What would be the next best thing to them?

13. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

14. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Do leffot or the shoe mart? Leather Soul do - give Tom a call

15. md2010

md2010 Senior member

amazon.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.