Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Haven't heard good things about that place.

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

3. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Blah...I am not even invited to the party. Still quite like the jacket and the fact they are linked together (ie not just the look I like and in some ways already wear, with Barbour quilted jacket, but the creation and selling of the two pieces as one).

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

Thanks lachy

Thats about right. Good old Whirlpool is a great resource. You cant beat a bunch of geeks to hunt down the true story on most things. Reminds me of the good old days of the internet on use-net and slashdot.

I think thats where I heard stories of the 28 card suddenly being stopped when OS because of a cash balance.

I now remember that for me it wasn't worth it as I wanted to use both credit and debit and I already had the cards.

edit:: I also remember I wasn't keen at all because it was GE who I think are a real mob of pricks.

Last edited: May 8, 2012

6. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I have been happy with my credit cards when travelling and have used the CommBank Travel Money Card as a debit card in Japan and Hong Kong and I thought it was really pretty good rate and fee wise.

7. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Out of interest (no pun intended), what's the advantage of using a debit card when traveling over a credit card? When I travel I just try to put everything on my NAB Qantas Amex/Visa card. If I need cash, I just get a cash advance fro. An ATM and then flick over some cash to my credit card account online the next chance I get. Plus you get the advantage of insurance coverage (purchase and extended warranty, not really all that keen on credit card travel insurance) plus frequent flyer points.

8. jobro

jobro Senior member

I just purchased a jumper from Ralph Lauren in David Jones ($300). I had a look at the Ralph Lauren (USA) store online and it seems the jumper has been re-branded from RLX ($500) at a ~40% discount. Anyone noticed anything similar before? I'm really surprised by this as it's usually the other way around!

9. blahman

blahman Senior member

I thought the way it usually works is that the top end label gets the latest in design then it slowly filters down to the lower end labels in subsequent seasons with cheaper material and construction.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

I use the debit card to get cash out - no interest - CC charge from the minute you get cash out - and they charge at CC rates.

CC for credit purchases.

Having two cards means you don't have to do online banking while away unless you want to.

The use of cards and credit isn't as ubiquitous in most places as it is in Oz. In Oz I do almost everything on CC, groceries, petrol, bills, BPay, parking, meals, ......

I mostly use cash unless its a big store or institution - just to be safe. And a lot of the stuff I do isn't at big places - I eat at night markets, small country towns, roadside stalls, shop at small shops etc. They don't have CC facilities anyway.

And as for Loyalty or FF points - pffft - you could spend for years and only get a tea towel.

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

The issue with foreign transaction is that the card company sets the exchange rate and not the banks. And with Master Card on a number of occasions the rate that they offer for the Oz against the Greenback has been considerably lower. How they are able to do this I don't know.

12. budgiesmuggler

budgiesmuggler Well-Known Member

Citibank - no account fee, no forex fees, no fee for withdrawing from foreign ATM. Applies to both credit card and their basic bank account. Exchange rate on the debit card is aT the inter bank rate.

Free bottle of wine in loads of restaurants if you pay on the citi bank/credit card. Good restaurants too, free wine at boathouse last week.

13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Week of shell - Day 3:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Suit: Rhodes and Beckett
    Shirt: Lorenzini
    Tie: Holland and Holland
    Pocket Square: Kent Wang
    Shoes: Florsheim Imperial V-Cleat Long Wing Derbies

Thread Status: