Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I could tell you who it is but I'd have to kill you....

Nah I do a lot of work with ASIO, AG's D Branch and the ONA, which are the main 3 of the spooks.

And yes he had a grey suit on..

2. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Shipito looks like the cheapest option. There is another one VIAddress. These guys look even cheaper than shipito. But shipito one has to send them the id form which has to be notarized . That is a real pain. Also looked at myus. They look expensive. But no id to be forwarded to them to use their service.

3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Love the sound of 'D Branch'.

'Have you heard from D Branch yet?'
    'Yes. They're sending a man over.'

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2012

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I sent them a few of the following and now im at 70% verified which gives me $1500 spending limit and access to all their warehouses (never had to send the notarized form). Not too difficult if you have a scanner.

Acceptable documents and for account verification:
    ID #1 (driver license, passport, etc.) +15%
    ID #2 (has to be different from ID #1) +15%
    Utility Bills (with your billing address) +30%

5. Durazing

Durazing Member

I have found MYUS to be faultless. Reasonable shipping costs, prompt consolidation of multiple orders and from their Florida HQ items arrive in about 3 days to Sydney.

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

I seem to recall I investigated the 28 Degrees card when I last went overseas and they will stop /withdraw the card if you load it up with cash - they want the credit use and presumably the interest when you cant make full payment.

The 28 degrees didn't offer any advantages despite all the hype and in fact it had many disadvantages over my own cards.

I don't understand the fx fees and exchange rate problems.

I don't get charged FX fees and the exchange rate seems to be exactly, within daily/weekly variations, what I see on XE converter. Both using online for o/s purchase and when traveling. I'm with Bendigo VISA credit and also with Debit cards. I do pay $5 per cash withdrawal from oversea ATMs but thats no big deal - hell some here nearly charge that much.

The added bonus for me is the local the Bendigo manager knows me and when I'm overseas and I can just ring through or email if there is any problems, talk to someone who knows me, and no need to deal with call centres etc.

Is it different with other banks? Am I missing something?

7. hotmustardsauce

hotmustardsauce Active Member

Try http://www.cainefashion.co.uk/

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^ I think with credit cards the fx rate should be the same across the same card brand. Then the banks can decide on the extra fees they charge. Commbank charges me like $1.50 or 3% of purchase price for foreign transactions or something on top of the credit card fx rate.

9. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

There is a big thread on whirlpool regarding why this card is so good (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1677676&p=80&#r1583), but in essence:

-No annual fee
    -If you put it into a positive balance before going overseas, you can withdraw from O/S ATMs and pay only the ~$2 fee for using another ATM (no foreign transaction fees, currency conversion fees etc)
    -If you make a credit purchase from an overseas store, you will pay no foreign transaction fees, currency conversion fees etc
    -55 days interest free
    -On all foreign withdrawals/purchases you get the exact Mastercard exchange rate, which is generally better than VISA and much better than Paypal's, and no added fees as above

I don't think there are any cards that offer all of the above that I know of. NAB Gold Visa debit used to come close, but now it's terrible.

So when in Aus, you buy whatever you like from overseas and get great exchange rates and no fees (especially good when ordering from stores that don't take paypal and only take CC), then pay it off during the interest free period. When overseas you put it in credit and use it for purchases and withdrawals.

This post sums up pretty well what to look for in terms of cards if you're planning a trip: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1725541&p=12#r236

*edit* FXH the official policy is that they don't allow you to add a positive balance to your card, but a lot of people have been using it this way for quite a few years now

10. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

double post

11. Jean-Baptiste

Jean-Baptiste Member

I'm heading to Melbourne for a few days at the end of this month. Can anybody recommend some stores that stock dress shirts and/or suits for the smaller man. I'm around 5'3" with proportionately small shoulders. I'm also interested in getting some MTM shoes. Any recommendations?

12. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Canberra the town of acronyms. Most of the spooks I have worked for are military DSD, DIO and then there is law enforcement AFP, ACC met up with ASIO once two bimbos who wouldn't give me a job. Mind you I wore a grey pin stripe suit, that's probably what cost me the job.

Damn now I will have to go and shoot myself.

13. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

I got one of these before our London/Paris trip last year and it was brilliant. Now that they've got the (from memory) $5 fee + 2.9% for EVERY foreign transaction, it's about 2 seconds from being chopped up. They really pissed me off when they changed it.

14. Banana Cognac

Banana Cognac Senior member

Try Captains of Industry just off Little Bourke st

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Speak to MickyD before you do that (either search posts by him or this thread for "Captains of Indusctry").

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.