• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I vote a grey, as it looks better with the black tophat. News on the darker green is awesome, I have been hankering for a rich forest green tie.

Yes, grey for me too, as Naka said goes with black tophat, like formal morningwear. Will reply to your PM shortly Jason.

(Well done on wombat victory, Blahman)

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No worries GN, my Tumblr tag is Ok a reference, not a rule and anyway winter in Australia is summer for me.
How are you like the Chilterns (they look good). Am really glad I searched around for the Chukka model, they are my favourite shoes at the moment. The unlined uppers and suede makes them great for lazy casual (shirt and jeans) and smarter casual (blazer, shirt, dark jeans/odd trousers) plus the leather sole and slightly less rounded shape means I can still wear them with a suit (felt great yesterday trying to be Pink Socks Agnelli). Glad I went the half size up, a little looser than my Sydney but because of the width not sure the 9.5 UK would work so well.

I'm enjoying the Chilterns very much but a lot of the time, whatever shoe I happen to be wearing becomes my favourite at that time. I find it hard to say I prefer one of them over the other. This is probably swimming weather for you!

The Chukkas are definitely a very versatile pair of boots. Glad you're enjoying them - that's how it should be.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great news Jason!

Thank you for all your hard work on this. Very much appreciated - looking forward to the tie :)

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think anyone who shops for 36 sizes tend to get a bit desperate :satisfied:

Try looking for something 48 to 50 then you know what desperate is.

lennier

Reaction score

It has matching shorts!

Reminds me of a sighting the other day in (wintry) Melbourne conservative business dress. Orange driving shoes, no socks, tailored shorts, with formal shirt, tie and jacket. I'm hoping not someone here...

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No socks? Must have been fxh seeing how the other half lives..

Haha, seriously though, how odd is it when you see pictures of a peacoat/all rugged up up top, and sockless at the bottom? Makes no sense.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
So upon bringing home my latest P Johnson commission yesterday (navy pinstripe), I have realised that I will need to make room in my closet.

I am thinking of letting go of my Hugo Boss signature line 3 piece suit – it’s grey birds eye with stripes. I picked it up a couple of years back as an impulse purchase (RRP was $2,300 – I got it for less than 35% of that price). Funnily enough, after making the purchase I thought I would go online to see if I got ripped off, which is how I stumbled onto this forum. I understand that it is half canvassed - but have no proof to back it up.

Any thoughts on what I should be asking for it? Should I just list it on eBay and put its fate into the hands of market forces?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try looking for something 48 to 50 then you know what desperate is.

At least 48, 50 tend to stay around longer when things go on sale.

36 can be very hard to find in Australia when a lot of brands for some reason only start at 38, and can never see many 36 on sale.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reminds me of a sighting the other day in (wintry) Melbourne conservative business dress. Orange driving shoes, no socks, tailored shorts, with formal shirt, tie and jacket. I'm hoping not someone here...

Hell, I even wear socks and long PJs to bed these days.

I'm fascinated with cats who wear thick parkas and such up top and shorts and thongs downstairs on these rainy winter days. Or vice versa . A wife beater up top and thick pants and boots downstairs.

Or in summer the goths in black with 10 up docs or work boots and a leather jacket or full length coat.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts on what I should be asking for it? Should I just list it on eBay and put its fate into the hands of market forces?

It being a very recognisable brand I think you'd be fine listing it at $1 if you employed the usual 'tricks' (listing on a Sunday night, great photos, good copy etc.).

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously hope this doesn't become a habit of mine.

Suit: Solid Farmer brown, The Suit Co. Japan.
Shirt: White poplin, Modern Tailer.
Tie: Navy/Grey repp, Unlined (actually I removed the nasty lining last night and sewed it back up), Wool/Silk , slim tie. Oxford.
Wool vest: Maroon, merino. Sportscraft (early 2000's, still in amazing condition soft and no sign of pilling. Wonder how rubbish SC stuff are now).
Scarf: Lighter shade of maroon?, lovingly made by the most special woman in my life (mum) :D.
Belt (not shown): Jeff Banks.
Socks(not shown): Kmart.
Underpants(not shown): boxerbrief, Marks & Spencer.
Shoes: Black calf monks, Cheaney O'Toole.
Tassles(not shown): Stolen from dancer at La Di Da on Burlesque night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads