1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

MJ Bale has a good reputation. Good fabric and most of their suits are half canvassed IIRC. As for Arthur Galan I'm not too sure. I know their 'casual' suiting which DJ stocks is all fused.

2. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Very, very helpful. Thanks Fox.

3. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I visited MJ Bale over the weekend at Bondi Junction.

They have some fully canvassed suits. Okay to good fabric but nothing fantastic, good fit, nice work on the suits.

Problem: they want $1500 for two suits, or $890 for one. Plus they are made in China mostly (with some Japan lines, did not ask about pricing).

IMO, not value for money, unless you get them at sales.

4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

They also have a 2 for $1000 deal on some basics which is what we bought for the wedding. What most OTR places in Australia make the mistake of doing on their more expensive OTR suits (Herringbone are bad at this) is making them out of very thin, high super count materials which in turn feel very nice, but hold a crease like crap and generally wear out quicker. The dark grey I got is a mid weight around prob 11-12 oz and seems to sit decently in the middle. I think it's called the Mudgee.

Time will tell though I guess after a bit of wear. But I've been inspecting my brothers one that's been hanging in the closet for the last few weeks and it seems very well made.

5. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Like the vast majority of Australian retail goods I would never buy them at full price, but as Charlie said 2 for $1000 isn't bad considering brands like Studio Italia and Domingo by Dom Bagnato are $500, fused, made in China and use generally 'meh' fabrics.

6. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Totally agree. Anything over super120s are really fragile, and the creasing is ridiculous (especially the cat whisker creases on the crotch area). My ex-tailor did not bother to tell me this and happily looked away when I chose my fabric by touch and feel. Two orphaned jackets later (both pants had split crotch within 2 years) and I am looking for a new tailor.

7. modafroman

modafroman Member

Hrm, alright, thanks guys :)

I might head to DJs and suss out the loakes sizing.

But I still am interested in the meermins, ends up being ~$230 shipped? (150euro + 40euro shipping?)

Think i'll go for a brown or black pair to wear with my suits, like the loake aldwych...

but what about for more casually/going out clubbing/bars etc? I'd like something pretty cheap considering they're going to get trashed fairly quickly haha.... maybe just a cheapy pair of suedes? or something? Not sure.

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Good posts about fabric weight. Retailers really play on people's ignorance about the high numbers. There should be a caveat 'If you buy this suit it will feel lovely to the touch but you can only wear it six times a year.'

9. Romp

Romp Senior member

LOL!

i usually go for a mid 200gram fabric on my suits. getting to 300g gets a tad warm (unless the weave is quite open) and 200 and below gets on the cat-whisker territory lol

10. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Great feedback Gents!
    I saw the MJ Bale Bale 2 for $1000 and l thought I represented a decent buy!
    Mind iv only seen their collection online,nice lapels mind you.
    Brisbane folk, Richards and Richards have a decent sale. Saw a pair of Sutor Mantellassi reduced to 500. It appears most punters North of the border are getting their shoes online???

11. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

12. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

you're welcome. I have so far resisted the temptation. too many other things needed.

hope your CS experience with them is as good as mine has been, the best by which I measure all others.

13. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I'd like something pretty cheap considering they're going to get trashed fairly quickly haha.... maybe just a cheapy pair of suedes?

Sorry, can't help you there. The focus here is mainly on high quality goods that last irregardless of fashion cycle. Does not necessarily have to be expensive, but quality and longevity are usually required.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Thanks BM, was trying to remember where I had read that!

15. modafroman

modafroman Member

Fair call.

I wasn't really asking in terms of brands/where to get, more in terms of what styles/look would work for more casual outings? Where i'm just going to be wearing jeans and a shirt, as opposed to a suit.

16. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Supers number =!= weight =!= durability... RTW generally has terrible fabric selections as you've noticed.

Romp, that's very light and would drive me mad.

(There are few factually dubious statement's in ethan's blog post btw).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  17. Gonzo

Gonzo Well-Known Member

And very 'meh' fits IMO...

I don't have an issue with made in China as long as the quality is there.

18. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Clarks?

thesilentist.com/post/29057739413/investment-pieces-clarks-desert-chukka-boots

Clarks Originals suede desert boots ($128.49; www.asos.com/Clarks-Originals/Clarks-Originals-Suede-Desert-Boots/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=905874)

19. modafroman

modafroman Member

Yea maybe, i'm not sure if I like desert boots/if I can pull them off though? I was thinking more along the lines of a derby/oxford style tho, maybe? I dunno, I guess I should go and have a look at what DJs and co have and see what works.

20. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I am not answering because my clubbin days are way behind me.

But seriously, I think these look good with jeans:

1. Suede brogues, suede chukkas, suede monks, suede wholecuts;
    2. Loafers, with no socks;
    3. Lace up brogue derbies, calf or cordovan;
    4. Work boots in normal, oiled or distressed leather eg Red Wing, Wolverine, Chippewa (btw I hate RM Williams);
    5. Split toe leather shoes;
    6. Two tone spectators;
    7. Leather sneakers;
    8. Canvas sneakers.

Heck, do you want me to go on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.