Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

What about it?

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Seems to look ok here though:

[​IMG]

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

It's see through? Is that what you mean.

Not usually one to comment on my peers products, but its because the fabric should be self tipped if that makes sense to give it some thickness and opaqueness. I'm actually wearing my navy grenadine today, i'll take a photo later of the back to show you what I mean.

4. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

there's a (somewhat coy) reason that photo is often cropped at the bottom where it has been in that copy....

[​IMG]

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

An interesting talk on the tie and the truth behind why US and English striped ties run on a different axis can be found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/pov scroll down to

David Cannadine: Why Wear a Tie? 02 Mar 2012
    Fri, 2 Mar 12
    Duration:
    10 mins
    Historian David Cannadine compares the traditions of tie wearing on both sides of the Atlantic. He reflects on the social significance of this element of male dress and observes a recent phenomenon - that politicians seem to campaign in open neck shirts but govern wearing ties.

Or Sunday why is it on that day that politicians holding press conferences hardly ever wear a tie.

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Exactly...I don't mind the lightly lined thing, but I'd vastly prefer self tipping.

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm not a fan of cargoes, although I have seen the odd person wear them successfully. ( I'll admit to once having a few pairs but for working in the shed or backyard - I cant stand stuff flopping around in pockets on my legs)

The problem as I see it with a pair of light grey wool flannel tailored narrow trousers with a cargo pocket etc is one of confusion in style.

Cargo pants are basically a military item of clothing built for practical purposes. As you all know, a lot of clothing originates in the military and is adapted for civilian wear.

Cargoes weren't invented by some sockless bearded "designer" in Thornbury - they were carefully designed, just before WW2, in around 1937, and each pocket was designed and designated what it was to store. They were originally made of denim but, as some of you denim nuts will have observed, denim was too cold. So they were made from heavy weave twill khaki. They were practical battle dress not ceremonial or off duty dress. They were loose and baggy.

So we have colour, practicality, cut defined. In the translation to street or civilian wear they went from the small slide from military to outdoors hunting, walking, cleaning the backyard, to eventually street casual wear. Along the way trying out some bizarre colours and combinations and altering the cut and number of pockets.

Flannel, originally wool, but flannel can be made from almost anything, most commonly cotton as is flannel workwear and pyjamas, sheets and bogan/Cobain shirts. Flannel is used to keep warm. Or hot as you may have noticed. There are many types of flannel but wool flannel used for grey trouser can often be light and soft with a nap on both sides. The lighter and softer it is the less it holds a crease. It also tends to wear down or lose the nap. Lighter and softer also tend to indicate lack of need for manual work or the ability to afford light and soft replacements.

The grey flannel trouser, despite its possibly plebeian origins, is generally now seen as a refined business trouser. Most commonly with a blue jacket. A step down from a suit, but still considered relatively dressed up in most work and socail places. (Not, I hasten to add on clothing forums). Not only that but for most people business wear, the lounge suit, is the most formal they will ever be required to dress.

Without making too much of it, what you have with a grey wool flannel tailored narrow cargo pant is a clash of purpose. Not necessarily a problem. Many a great style comes from this clash and /or from accidents, or experiments with the "rules".

However, like most of us normal people, we all have stuff we want to make work.
    So.
    Lets think

Is the grey tailored narrow flannel wool cargo a smart business look dressed down or a casual street look dressed up?

I'd suggest it works best as a casual street winter look dressed up a bit. That suggests to me chunkier boots of some sort, even a nod toward workwear, a navy peacoat or blouson / Harrington rather than a tailored sport jacket and no tie.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

I don't see much wrong with that tie, though like you fellas I'd prefer if it's self tipped probably for consistency in appearance or little bit more weight.

I actually quite like unlined, loose woven/knit ties with at bit of see-through-ness to it.

9. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Here's one I prepared earlier. Basically, this uses twice as much fabric but is what should be done with un-lined ties IMO otherwise you get a very thin knot and very light tie

[​IMG].

10. sliq

sliq Senior member

G'day forumites,

Can anyone suggest a place in Sydney that sells club collared shirts?

I'm particularly after ones with contrast collars (either blue with white collars or blue bank stripes and white collars).

Cheers

sliq

11. blahman

blahman Senior member

You mean good old Bruno Grollo did NOT invent cargo pants?! :eek:

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

I think its a nice relaxed summery look.
    Tan linen or cotton suit.

13. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Pea coat, watch cap, scarf, moleskins, cashmere cable knit, Caterpillar GP boots and gloves, also hip flask.

14. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Yes, but as you said Jason, makes a marked difference on how the tie knot looks. I have an unlined Henry Bucks-branded tie I picked up at the Salvo's back in 2007 and they skimped on material so I only ever wear it under a knit because to tie an adequate knot I need to use up a lot of the length. It's a burgundy with woven white dots on it. I like the design a lot, but I'll look to replace it soon for something less troublesome.

15. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Mr. Nelson, I haven't worn the Alden for BB tassel loafers because Alden screwed this pair up.

I'm very fond of their shoes, but their quality control stinks sometimes. This pair (both marked a 10D) are different in size. One is about 0.75cm longer than the other, so while one fits, the other is far too big.

The pair of shoes I'm selling are both the correct size, 8.5E UK C&J Westfield in snuff suede. Brand new in box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.