Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

A bit of History

See attach. below for the actual article and pictures of shoes and drawings of clothes.
    [ATTACHMENT=2664]ivy argus.pdf (520k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

2. jobro

jobro Senior member

I've never had an order go astray from DealExtreme. I have had the order stuffed up but it was quickly rectified, albeit with slow shipping. Some things they have on that site you can't even find anywhere else.

I have never seen anyone go diving wearing a dress watch. That is what diving watches are for.

I'm not really a watch person, most of the time you will find my wrist naked. Here are my watches...
    [​IMG]
    (Longines needs a new battery)

Definitely prefer the wombat, gives it some real character. I think the wattle is very uninvented and plain.

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

A lot of people who buy diving watches don't actually go diving with them. Like me, they're mostly desk divers [​IMG] I use my bezel to time my cooking. I also agree with you about the wombat.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

jobro - that middle watch to me is probably a "diving watch"???

Its also what most men (90+%??) wear as a dress watch. Thats what I meant.

If i was diving, and I'm not, I'd get some big tough practical thing that had huge figures and an alarm every 5 mins or something - not the watch in the middle.

5. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

There is watch repairer operating out of a tiny bolt hole in Little Collins St, near Swanston St. Very experienced guy - try him. Otherwise, you could try Chris at The Watch Gallery, again in Little Collins St, near Elizabeth St.

6. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Yep, those are all good suggestions. Seiko mechanical watches, made for the Japanese market, are also excellent value - you can purchase those from Seiya's website.

7. jobro

jobro Senior member

I know, I've never dived with my diving watch. It's been to the beach though and in the pool! :slayer:

Yep, the middle one is a diving watch, an appropriately named submariner.

If I were into diving, I agree, I wouldn't take the watch in the middle down. Divers these days have watches that can measure how many breaths left in the tank, depth, pressure etc etc.

8. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

You either have a passion for watches or you don't, I suppose, To me, mechanical watches are wonderous things- combining engineering and design, resulting in a product which, at best, is both practical and beautiful.

As an avid diver I own a couple of dive watches. However, I would strongly argue that a dive watch is actually surplus kit these days - that has been the case since the advent of dive computers in the 1990s. Instead I own dive watches because I am responding to the aesthetic and heritage.

As to a dive watch being used as a dress watch, I sometimes wear my Sub to work with a suit (today in fact), but generally I agree that a dress watch is more appropriate.

PS: I am also interested Hi-Fi - I'm saving for a pair of foor standing PMC speakers later in the year.

9. blahman

blahman Senior member

Japanese Seikos F'Yeah! :slayer:

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

The Seiko Spirit is the watch I'd love to get. Also, looks like the strap is cordovan :)

11. fox81

fox81 Senior member

the jeweller on swanston st between bourke and little collins (used to be saleras, it may still be) is selling the japanese seikos.

12. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Guys slightly re-jigged version of both options with the emblem higher up on the blade. Blahman this is as much as I can do with the wombat design wise without going back to the designer and spending more $$$, so between now and Monday, I really just want to get feedback on the design most preferred and if the wombat comes out on top, then we can play around with the design.

As I also mentioned while everyone is free to give feedback, i'll only be using the votes of the guys that are paying for it i.e anyone who has either PM'd me or stated in the thread they are in. Currently, the Wattle is in front by a few. P.S I'm assuming by gold you mean yellow like the wattle not gold as in metallic gold. I made the wombat gold and he looked like a simpsons character, so changed him back to brown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm having an early mark as it's time for beer so can't do anymore changes until next week, but again any feedback is appreciated.

Jason

13. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Well done Jason! I prefer option 1 but both are great.

14. hotmustardsauce

hotmustardsauce Active Member

Seiko's are beautiful and underrated time pieces

This is one I bought recently:

[​IMG]

15. Inc Interest

Inc Interest Member

You are right when it comes to Ivy League. Some of the casual wear is good - they have some good basic crewneck sweatshirts (from the brand 3 over 1). However the majority of pickings either cater to the football playing stringlet wearing crowd or are way to fashion forward to be worn in Adelaide. Generally the service there is poor and not helpful unless you speak to Luke (one of the owners).

They have a store called Suit Co. as well. which sells approx $300 that fall apart in under a year. They are only designed to be an entry point which is fine. Some of their styling could be worked on :
    http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...64543_116768978358746_892043_2002015181_n.jpg
    (that collar)

And I have seen 3 button suits styled in their window with all their buttons done up etc.

Really they are not preppy at all - more catering for modern day private school boys who want to fit in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.