• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of History

The ARGUS – Melbourne Thursday 30 August 1956

The well-dressed AUSTRALIAN men will be hearing quite a good deal about the "Ivy League" clothing style from now on so, as the mode carries through from the head to the foot, from the hat to the shoe, here is a' pre view of its dominant characteristics:

SUITS will have, over all, what can best be described as the "lean look"-shoulders will have a more natural Uno, coats will be three button with centre vents, and sleeves will be tapered to reveal shirt cuffs and sleeve-links.

TROUSERS will be slimmer from the waist to the cuffs, with belt-loops to accommodate an exciting new range of designs in belts.

HATS for the Ivy Leaguer will take on a different look. The growth of the brim and the heightening of the crown, notable over the past few years, has been halted - the new styles have neat, narrow brims, smaller crowns, and wide bands, with the bow toward the back.

Among the varieties of " headgear that will catch the eye will be the "flat tops," a flattering style with the top sloping toward the back (they make getting in and out of motor-cars easier, too). .
Many smart straw hats will be seen - these, also, have the narrower brim, some with a matching or contrasting puggaree. Their comfort-factor is high - they are cool, lightweight, and, made in a flexible Italian straw, they are durable. .
Smooth - textured felts will remain with us, but in new designs without radical or blaring styling; and hats of the Tyrolean variety will undoubtedly score with the younger generation.

TIES, that important 'section of accessories that has for too long been almost the only expression of a man's desire for colour in his garb, follow the narrow vogue. Club-type stripes and Italian geometric pat terns are among the striking, yet restrained, designs. Width of the ties is often only 2iin. - and the Windsor knot, popular for years, is now "out." Bows will still stay with us.

BELTS have really come into their own in this present vogue - art, craftsmanship, and ingenuity have combined to provide a range as wide as it is striking. Most are in soft, pliable leather, and are in colours never before seen in this field.
Their buckles strike new highs in originality - one, for instance, is a real and actual trout-fly set in plastic, the whole forming the intriguing "decor" for the utilitarian work of the buckle itself; another belt, in kangaroo-skin, is richly embossed with authentic aboriginal motifs. Of the making of belts there is, apparently, no end-worn with lightweight woollen Coolstream suits, sports coats, and slacks for summer, they will add both grace and interest to the male ensemble.

CUFF - LINKS become' very important accessories -far more important than they have ever been-be cause of the tapered coat sleeve, which is cut to reveal them.- Often, the links match the belt-buckle or the belt design. The trout fly imprisoned in the plastic buckle is duplicated in the cuffs, and the aboriginal design is echoed, too. Modern patterns are also reflected in the cuff and buckle partnership, with a pleasingly graceful effect

See attach. below for the actual article and pictures of shoes and drawings of clothes.
[ATTACHMENT=2664]ivy argus.pdf (520k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited:

jobro

Reaction score

I ordered something once from DealExtreme. Never received the goods.

I've never had an order go astray from DealExtreme. I have had the order stuffed up but it was quickly rectified, albeit with slow shipping. Some things they have on that site you can't even find anywhere else.

I'm curious.
I've always been a watch cheapskate and wouldn't have more than two watches worth more than $200. I don't care that others spend more but I don't really understand it. But then others cant understand why I spend good money on loudspeakers and amp or turntable.
But one thing I just don't get - is why do you need a waterproof watch?
I never wear any of my watches near anything likely to get wet.
I guess I can see that if you are a deep sea diver you would want to know how long you'd been down - but why would it be a dress watch?

I have never seen anyone go diving wearing a dress watch. That is what diving watches are for.

I'm not really a watch person, most of the time you will find my wrist naked. Here are my watches...
7117720399_cfa3b8f88f_z.jpg

(Longines needs a new battery)

G'day guys, for your viewing pleasure and further discussion are 2 mock ups based on the emblems everyone seems to like. I'm hoping these mock ups might persuade a few more of you to jump on board, though we are at the 10 min already.
Colours can be mucked around with fairly easily.
Click to enlarge. Let me know some thoughts.
Ta
Jason

Definitely prefer the wombat, gives it some real character. I think the wattle is very uninvented and plain.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never seen anyone go diving wearing a dress watch. That is what diving watches are for.

A lot of people who buy diving watches don't actually go diving with them. Like me, they're mostly desk divers
smile.gif
I use my bezel to time my cooking. I also agree with you about the wombat.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jobro - that middle watch to me is probably a "diving watch"???

Its also what most men (90+%??) wear as a dress watch. Thats what I meant.

If i was diving, and I'm not, I'd get some big tough practical thing that had huge figures and an alarm every 5 mins or something - not the watch in the middle.

bhall41

Reaction score

Anyone recommend a decent jeweler in the Melbourne conservative business dress to change a watch battery? It's a Mont Blanc watch. Local jeweler said he couldn't do (was worried about damaging it) and at the Mont Blanc shop in town they want $90! Arseh#les.

There is watch repairer operating out of a tiny bolt hole in Little Collins St, near Swanston St. Very experienced guy - try him. Otherwise, you could try Chris at The Watch Gallery, again in Little Collins St, near Elizabeth St.

bhall41

Reaction score

INHO - Hamilton and Tissot are the best automatics under $1000. Manual wind would probably have to be Stowa, one of which (Marine Original) i am just in the process of selling. Only because I have the Limited Edition and I dont really need two

Yep, those are all good suggestions. Seiko mechanical watches, made for the Japanese market, are also excellent value - you can purchase those from Seiya's website.

jobro

Reaction score

A lot of people who buy diving watches don't actually go diving with them. Like me, they're mostly desk divers :)  I use my bezel to time my cooking. I also agree with you about the wombat.

I know, I've never dived with my diving watch. It's been to the beach though and in the pool! :slayer:

jobro - that middle watch to me is probably a "diving watch"???
Its also what most men (90+%??) wear as a dress watch. Thats what I meant.
If i was diving, and I'm not, I'd get some big tough practical thing that had huge figures and an alarm every 5 mins or something - not the watch in the middle.

Yep, the middle one is a diving watch, an appropriately named submariner.

If I were into diving, I agree, I wouldn't take the watch in the middle down. Divers these days have watches that can measure how many breaths left in the tank, depth, pressure etc etc.

bhall41

Reaction score

I'm curious.
I've always been a watch cheapskate and wouldn't have more than two watches worth more than $200. I don't care that others spend more but I don't really understand it. But then others cant understand why I spend good money on loudspeakers and amp or turntable.
But one thing I just don't get - is why do you need a waterproof watch?
I never wear any of my watches near anything likely to get wet.
I guess I can see that if you are a deep sea diver you would want to know how long you'd been down - but why would it be a dress watch?

You either have a passion for watches or you don't, I suppose, To me, mechanical watches are wonderous things- combining engineering and design, resulting in a product which, at best, is both practical and beautiful.

As an avid diver I own a couple of dive watches. However, I would strongly argue that a dive watch is actually surplus kit these days - that has been the case since the advent of dive computers in the 1990s. Instead I own dive watches because I am responding to the aesthetic and heritage.

As to a dive watch being used as a dress watch, I sometimes wear my Sub to work with a suit (today in fact), but generally I agree that a dress watch is more appropriate.

PS: I am also interested Hi-Fi - I'm saving for a pair of foor standing PMC speakers later in the year.

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japanese Seikos F'Yeah! :slayer:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys slightly re-jigged version of both options with the emblem higher up on the blade. Blahman this is as much as I can do with the wombat design wise without going back to the designer and spending more $$$, so between now and Monday, I really just want to get feedback on the design most preferred and if the wombat comes out on top, then we can play around with the design.

As I also mentioned while everyone is free to give feedback, i'll only be using the votes of the guys that are paying for it i.e anyone who has either PM'd me or stated in the thread they are in. Currently, the Wattle is in front by a few. P.S I'm assuming by gold you mean yellow like the wattle not gold as in metallic gold. I made the wombat gold and he looked like a simpsons character, so changed him back to brown.

I'm having an early mark as it's time for beer so can't do anymore changes until next week, but again any feedback is appreciated.

Jason

bhall41

Reaction score
Well done Jason! I prefer option 1 but both are great.

Inc Interest

Reaction score

joiji

I came across this from Adelaide and don't know anything about it:

http://thethousands.com.au/adelaide/shop/ivy-league/ , http://thethousands.com.au/adelaide/sho … gue-store/
http://www.ivy-league.com.au/ , http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ivy-Leagu … 8978358746

I hadn't heard of this shop when last in Adelaide. Not much to see on their web page, makes me wonder. The Facebook page is a bit of a mess and suggests more hipster with neo preppy tinge rather than Ivy.

You are right when it comes to Ivy League. Some of the casual wear is good - they have some good basic crewneck sweatshirts (from the brand 3 over 1). However the majority of pickings either cater to the football playing stringlet wearing crowd or are way to fashion forward to be worn in Adelaide. Generally the service there is poor and not helpful unless you speak to Luke (one of the owners).

They have a store called Suit Co. as well. which sells approx $300 that fall apart in under a year. They are only designed to be an entry point which is fine. Some of their styling could be worked on :
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...64543_116768978358746_892043_2002015181_n.jpg
(that collar)

And I have seen 3 button suits styled in their window with all their buttons done up etc.

Really they are not preppy at all - more catering for modern day private school boys who want to fit in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics