• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Back to Meermin for a moment, I love the way they've done some of their half-rubber soles featured on the tumblr. I think I'll send them an email to see if they've got any captoe boots using that style or if not I'll look into a MTO option. I've been looking for a refine wet weather boot for some time.

I received my new Howard Yount pants this week, as mentioned previously they're his new cut and are made in america instead of the USA. I've got a pretty strong suspicion that they're made in the same workshop that Epaulet use. The new cut is great, if you find the italian pants a bit slim and too low rise then the new ones should work perfectly for you. They also have a massive unfinished inseam so I'm hopeful I might be able to get a cuff put on for the first time ever!

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, before I ever looked too closely at them, it was always in the back of my mind that they were The One to get. Now, looking at them with fresh eyes, I can see your point.

Similarly, a question for you all:

I've found that these days, I look at clothes on screen as much as the storyline but never really paid much attention beforehand.

What one or two movies/television programs made you sit up and take notice of the clothes the characters wore?

For me, the earliest two I can remember are The Unbearable Lightness Of Being and Hudson Hawk - I loved the colours and the way the clothes were cut. I wanted to dress like those guys. Unfortunately, not knowing what I was looking for held me back - being a student at the time didn't help either. I should really revisit them to see if they still appeal to me in the same way.
Over to you :)

Just watched it again: Casablanca

That cream DB that Paul Henreid (Laszlo) wore... wow!

And ALL of Bogart's suits.

In fact, every man was wearing clothing that fit exquisitely.

And then of course, there's Ingrid Bergman... sigh and double wow! :inlove:

And then I switched over to Revenge on Channel 7, where the so-called old-monied billionaires wore the most ill-fitting crap imaginable.

Go figure.

Last edited:

sochumpy

Reaction score
just a quick meermin/aus specific question. Do people just email them directly for purchases since they don't have an e-store yet?
Seems very worth while considering the price and build quility (and how damn beautiful they look).

xiaoli

Reaction score
All the rain has inspired me to buy some beater boots for the rain, and future ski field excursions. Only $45 plus shipping :slayer:

Sebago Franklins from DrJays

Last edited:

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

just a quick meermin/aus specific question. Do people just email them directly for purchases since they don't have an e-store yet?
Seems very worth while considering the price and build quility (and how damn beautiful they look).

Yeah email is the wayt to go for all orders, it seems.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes with Meermin - they look interesting.

In general, the fit of clothing seems to be way better in the black and white movies. It's funny, I always thought those guys dressed really well but didn't really pay attention. It's nice seeing the world with new eyes
smile.gif

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back to Meermin for a moment, I love the way they've done some of their half-rubber soles featured on the tumblr. I think I'll send them an email to see if they've got any captoe boots using that style or if not I'll look into a MTO option. I've been looking for a refine wet weather boot for some time.
I received my new Howard Yount pants this week, as mentioned previously they're his new cut and are made in america instead of the USA. I've got a pretty strong suspicion that they're made in the same workshop that Epaulet use. The new cut is great, if you find the italian pants a bit slim and too low rise then the new ones should work perfectly for you. They also have a massive unfinished inseam so I'm hopeful I might be able to get a cuff put on for the first time ever!

Which HY pants did you get?

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

Which HY pants did you get?

Baby Cord chestnuts. 34 is too small for me in the italian cut, but perfect in the new US cut.

Lunchtime adventures, went to Treviso for a pizza (thanks for the tip on that place, guys) and spotted a possible member. Khaki/sand/creme suit with lightbrown/tan double monks and a knit tie.

I also visited McClouds to buy a suede brush and had a bit of a browse. Quite a nice shop to be even if the range is a touch limited. Far too much space spent on chunky casual hybrid shoe things.

I also noticed a sign for 'Pinstripe Tailors' so I popped up to see what they were about. Met with Jason who was happy to talk through their products and was introduced to Dennis (an older gentleman who was working on a garment). They're a classic bespoke tailor as their website suggests with all garments being made in their shop on Queen Street. Jason also mentioned they're starting a MTO program in the next few weeks. You will try on an size (eg 42R) and the block will then be adjusted and the adjusted measurements will be sent to China (freely and happily admitted) for construction This will cost ~$700 for a limited range of fabrics. Jason seemed genuinely excited to offer this service and mentioned they'd been working on finding a manufacturer for 4 years.

I've left my details so I'll pop in again when they get their suits in for sizing and depending on how that goes I'll give them more of a go.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have said this in this thread before but I would be extremely weary when dealing with Jason.

lennier

Reaction score

Lunchtime adventures, went to Treviso for a pizza (thanks for the tip on that place, guys) and spotted a possible member. Khaki/sand/creme suit with lightbrown/tan double monks and a knit tie.

Guilty. PJohnson mako cotton, Herring Shakespeares and R&B navy/red stripe knit. :)

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

I have said this in this thread before but I would be extremely weary when dealing with Jason.

I thought something rang a bell with the name but searching for pinstripe was predictably unhelpful in this thread. Caution well noted.

Guilty. PJohnson mako cotton, Herring Shakespeares and R&B navy/red stripe knit. :)

I was going to guess at them being shakespeares. That suit is fantastic, especially on a day like today.

lennier

Reaction score

I was going to guess at them being shakespeares. That suit is fantastic, especially on a day like today.

Thanks Jimbo. Tom warned me that I might end up wearing it all the time and he could be right!

On Pinstripe, try searching for Raftopoulos. I also talked to Jason (correction, Nick) some time ago before I went the PJohnson route, and he comes across well enough. However at that time he told me they had a MTO service - certainly it was an offshore operation of some sort, not their inhouse bespoke - starting around the $1500 mark, so something doesn't quite add up. Probably worth discussing with Appolyon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads