Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Back to Meermin for a moment, I love the way they've done some of their half-rubber soles featured on the tumblr. I think I'll send them an email to see if they've got any captoe boots using that style or if not I'll look into a MTO option. I've been looking for a refine wet weather boot for some time.

I received my new Howard Yount pants this week, as mentioned previously they're his new cut and are made in america instead of the USA. I've got a pretty strong suspicion that they're made in the same workshop that Epaulet use. The new cut is great, if you find the italian pants a bit slim and too low rise then the new ones should work perfectly for you. They also have a massive unfinished inseam so I'm hopeful I might be able to get a cuff put on for the first time ever!

2. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Just watched it again: Casablanca

That cream DB that Paul Henreid (Laszlo) wore... wow!

And ALL of Bogart's suits.

In fact, every man was wearing clothing that fit exquisitely.

And then of course, there's Ingrid Bergman... sigh and double wow! :inlove:

And then I switched over to Revenge on Channel 7, where the so-called old-monied billionaires wore the most ill-fitting crap imaginable.

Go figure.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

3. sochumpy

sochumpy Well-Known Member

just a quick meermin/aus specific question. Do people just email them directly for purchases since they don't have an e-store yet?
    Seems very worth while considering the price and build quility (and how damn beautiful they look).

4. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

All the rain has inspired me to buy some beater boots for the rain, and future ski field excursions. Only $45 plus shipping :slayer:

[​IMG]

Sebago Franklins from DrJays

5. Jimbosaurus

Yeah email is the wayt to go for all orders, it seems.

6. sochumpy

sochumpy Well-Known Member

will give it a shot, cheers Jimbosaurus

7. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

8. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Let us know how it goes with Meermin - they look interesting.

In general, the fit of clothing seems to be way better in the black and white movies. It's funny, I always thought those guys dressed really well but didn't really pay attention. It's nice seeing the world with new eyes [​IMG]

9. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Which HY pants did you get?

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

11. Jimbosaurus

Baby Cord chestnuts. 34 is too small for me in the italian cut, but perfect in the new US cut.

Lunchtime adventures, went to Treviso for a pizza (thanks for the tip on that place, guys) and spotted a possible member. Khaki/sand/creme suit with lightbrown/tan double monks and a knit tie.

I also visited McClouds to buy a suede brush and had a bit of a browse. Quite a nice shop to be even if the range is a touch limited. Far too much space spent on chunky casual hybrid shoe things.

I also noticed a sign for 'Pinstripe Tailors' so I popped up to see what they were about. Met with Jason who was happy to talk through their products and was introduced to Dennis (an older gentleman who was working on a garment). They're a classic bespoke tailor as their website suggests with all garments being made in their shop on Queen Street. Jason also mentioned they're starting a MTO program in the next few weeks. You will try on an size (eg 42R) and the block will then be adjusted and the adjusted measurements will be sent to China (freely and happily admitted) for construction This will cost ~$700 for a limited range of fabrics. Jason seemed genuinely excited to offer this service and mentioned they'd been working on finding a manufacturer for 4 years.

I've left my details so I'll pop in again when they get their suits in for sizing and depending on how that goes I'll give them more of a go.

12. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

I have said this in this thread before but I would be extremely weary when dealing with Jason.

13. lennier

lennier Senior member

Guilty. PJohnson mako cotton, Herring Shakespeares and R&B navy/red stripe knit. :)

14. Jimbosaurus

I thought something rang a bell with the name but searching for pinstripe was predictably unhelpful in this thread. Caution well noted.

I was going to guess at them being shakespeares. That suit is fantastic, especially on a day like today.

15. lennier

lennier Senior member

Thanks Jimbo. Tom warned me that I might end up wearing it all the time and he could be right!

On Pinstripe, try searching for Raftopoulos. I also talked to Jason (correction, Nick) some time ago before I went the PJohnson route, and he comes across well enough. However at that time he told me they had a MTO service - certainly it was an offshore operation of some sort, not their inhouse bespoke - starting around the $1500 mark, so something doesn't quite add up. Probably worth discussing with Appolyon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.