Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

As an aside, since there's been a few queries on sourcing lately - has anyone seen somewhere Dockers can be had and delivered to Australia? I've looking into quite a few places in the US, but none ship here... I only ask for them as I bought a few pairs on a recent trip state-side and know my size (less risk than trying something unworn so to speak.

On the shoe front, I really like to look of some of the Carminas recommended by Charlie's Wardrobe. I've just taken delivery of some C&J Westbourne's in chestnut and think they're the ducks nuts (I'm only starting to appreciate the finer details of great shoes with Loake Pimlico's being my only other aquisition in the sartorial shoe department). But, damn those Carmina's are sexy!

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

[​IMG]

Yes, Carmina's are sexy! Charlie's Wardrobe has a lot to answer for!

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Sorry guys.... I only take responsibility for ties, socks and scarves you might buy. The carminas are on your own consciences!

4. Gerry Nelson

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Fixed that for you - I've seen a number of Hermes ties at St Vinnies etc but they have all been absolutely appalling, so I'm impressed that CD found one that looks good!

6. Gerry Nelson

Yeah, they're a bit 'out there'. huh?

7. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Fixed your fixed...

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

Hermes tie designs have always been too cluttered and overly noisy for me.

On another topic, just wondering why Myer or DJs don't put their entire catalogue for sale online? The only items I see online are always just the cheap stuff. Especially with DJs where they are suppose to be higher end, it is just not reflecting good on the image. I also remember when the new Myer flagship store reopened and they were talking it up about how its more classy and what not... year or so down the track, still selling mostly the same stuff as before. Actually I think it got worse.

9. cavdb

cavdb Member

i found a zegna tie the other day. it was so wide though.lol

10. Gerry Nelson

Yes, before I ever looked too closely at them, it was always in the back of my mind that they were The One to get. Now, looking at them with fresh eyes, I can see your point.

Similarly, a question for you all:

I've found that these days, I look at clothes on screen as much as the storyline but never really paid much attention beforehand.

What one or two movies/television programs made you sit up and take notice of the clothes the characters wore?

For me, the earliest two I can remember are The Unbearable Lightness Of Being and Hudson Hawk - I loved the colours and the way the clothes were cut. I wanted to dress like those guys. Unfortunately, not knowing what I was looking for held me back - being a student at the time didn't help either. I should really revisit them to see if they still appeal to me in the same way.

Over to you :)

11. Gerry Nelson

12. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

This is almost an impossible question for me - there are so many.

But one a bit out of left that was an influence for me is "An American in Paris" - I spent a long time, when I was younger, trying to emulate Gene Kelly's casual looks - high waisted full trousers (small or no break) , more fitted above the waist, great casual pullovers and polo type shirts (but, when I could find them, with soft, longer point collars).

In fact, I still think its a great look - not quite on trend - but still pretty wearable.

It did slowly dawn on me that Gene Kelly and I do not, ahem, share the same silhouette - so maybe not the look for me - but I still love it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

....and then, of course, there was Leslie Caron ...sigh...
    [​IMG]

13. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Cross post from WAYWRN

Raining and miserable today in the nations capital...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suit: Herringbone Flannel POW
    Shirt: Cottonwork
    Tie: Henry Carter Neckwear purple dot
    Socks: Pantherella Charcoal
    Shoes: Loake 1880

Re films, I can't remember anything in particular from when I was young but I did start reading American GQ very young (like 14 or 15) for some reason when it was still really good, and was heavily influenced by that. If I had to think of a film now though, i'd have to say North by Northwest with Cary Grant.

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Depends on the suburb the op shop is in a mate of mine in Mosman was getting virtually new H&K, RPL Herringbone shirts, Zegna ties and other quality brand items on a regular basis.

For those interested Harvie & Hudson are offering 10% off all online purchases till May Day.

15. lennier

lennier Senior member

Karl Stefanovic was apparently in PJohnson but I didn't see any pictures of him. Rove is often pretty well put together (and often not..).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.