Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

2. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

That's the unlined number yes? It looks even bettter on you than it did on the hanger... I'd probably go a touch more room through the skirt but I'm likely alone in that choice. I don't suppose you have non front pictures?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

3. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

GN, these are the Dark Brown version, they have come up a little lighter in the photographs (as I said poor quality) though they are a little lighter than I expected, they look like this http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Chukka-Darkbrown-D

rather than

http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Chukka-Snuff-D

Either way, I am very happy with them.

Hope the tie works out. Let us know.

4. Gerry Nelson

The definitely came out a lot lighter in the photo then. They're a good looking boot, Let me know how you go with the hunt for pink ones - I'm after some in purple.

5. cavdb

cavdb Member

Hey Guys!
    I'm Carlo
    I am Western Sydney based.

Kinda new to all this sartorial talk.
    go easy on the new guy :D

I've recently graduated from uni and my wardrobe (band shirts, skate shoes, baggy jeans) and currently looking for a job.
    I recently purchased second hand AE shoes from ebay and have been trying to start a blazer/sport jacket collection.(had them taken in on the sides as well)
    Why is it so expensive here to be stylish? I still dont know my size for Loake shoes since DJ doesnt have my size.

I'm in awe at how impeccable the style is of some of the members on here. I hope to learn a thing or two.

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Nice coat and pattern matching as well. You do have some front balance issues most evident in the top photo however,, which is causing the fronts (or quarters if you will) to close. Basically the front balance is too short and needs to come down a bit which would open up the fronts. Still nice though don't get me wrong, just thought you would like some technical feedback.

7. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

To all the new Aussie members:

Welcome to SF!

Anytime you get sick of the BS and snark elsewhere (esp. the WAWRN threads), feel free to pop in and hang out here.

Other useful tips:

1) FXH adores the sockless look.

2) Blahman is skirt-chaser numero uno.

3) Charlie's Wardrobe is the man to go to for sweet accessories.

4) Pink Socks has a kick-ar se blog.

5) We have quite a few shoe czars in this thread.

6) You're lucky if you're located in Melbourne because the Victorians meet up quite a bit.

7) I spend too freakin much and rue the day I ever found SF!!! (kidding... actually, no, not really)

CEP

8. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Cheers CEP,

I'm pretty familiar with many of you guys, as I said I'm a hell of a lurker.
    Just purchased some Loake 1880s and Herring Readings. I wanted to try and support some local guys in Joseph's shoes in the Strand, but they were selling Loake 202s in suede at basically twice the price on Herring shoes and Pediwear, which is just ridiculous. I should mention I'm hardly a baller, 20 years old working full time and part time uni. Some of my more extravagant purchases are two Polo suits which I think are pretty much unmatched for their price point ($650-800 on sale). I'll probably look to P Johnson next time round. I thrift a bit, as I find it exceedingly satisfying compared to normal purchases. I kind of regret finding SF though, as dressing like most people my age would be significantly cheaper. I find myself an extravagantly rich man in a poor man's body. Anyone else think like this?

9. cavdb

cavdb Member

I can totally relate to this.
    do you know any good places to thrift?

10. Naka

Naka Senior member

Are you me?

11. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Haha I knew I wasn't alone. I have found plenty of nice stuff at Vinnies and salvos, including a zegna unlined sportcoat (slightly too big), zegna navy blazer (slightly too small). Favourite find was a christian dior double breasted navy jacket, gold buttons. Had it taken in and wore it to a costume party, haven't had the balls to wear it normally. Haven't yet been brave enough to buy jackets on eBay, but there's a few nice second hand tie sellers that I've been successful with.

12. styledude123

styledude123 Member

Damn I heart this thread! Couldn't agree with the consensus more.

13. Gerry Nelson

I think if you go in with the expectation that you won't find something 9 out of 10 times you'll be fine. I managed to get a Chester Barrie sportscoat at the Salvos which was my biggest find to date. I've heard of someone finding Drakes ties as well.

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I get mine from Brooks Brothers due to the fact that I can't buy pleated trousers off the rack here. I find that I usually order a size larger than what I would buy here eg for a 38 go 40. But the same holds true for English corduroy as well.

15. Gerry Nelson

A very happy Indian New Year to all who celebrate. According to tradition, "Children burst crackers, people wear new clothes and prepare special dishes" so I wore a new (to me) secondhand chambray shirt that I just got off eBay [​IMG]

On another note, I had something very important happening today and felt a little anxious and excited when I woke up at 5 and couldn't get back to sleep. After ironing a few shirts and polishing a few shoes, I felt much more at peace.

There's something very calming about the process.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.