1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennier

lennier Senior member

Nice post fxh. My only addition would be to note that in Italy - where summer climate can be very similar to ours much of the time - you will see many (if not most) men still in suits or other sorts of jackets, certainly if the outfit includes a tie. As someone else mentioned, appropriate fabrics are an alternative to simply ditching the jacket when hot. I certainly agree that if you are jacketless with a tie you need to avoid looking like you just left your suit jacket on the train.

2. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

I'm in Tokyo this week for work. My first visit.

due to the earthquake/nuclear crisis, office aircon is only cooling to 28deg c (its 33 outside) to conserve power.

all my jacket and tie packing is wasted. Most men are in short sleeved shirts and no ties. Certainly not what I was expecting. Interesting that some of my planned combos are going to look quite wierd without the jacket/tie for reference.

Visited the Isetan dept store yesterday on Blahman's advice. Crazy stuff. Was the last day of their summer sale. Some Brioni jackets for ~$700. No Brioni sizes above 52 (Euro) though.

they had a big man section on the top floor with some of the mid range names (incotex, corneliani, BB, etc) for sizes above 42/52. tried a couple of things on but figured I was better off sticking with my current tailor.

shoe selection was just crazy. they stocked meermins, incl the linea maestra range. Finishing was not up to the same standard as the C&J handgrades.

The also stocked Vass, in the same section as the J.Lobb

sale prices were pretty good but I only ended up spending money at uniqlo on basics.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  3. blahman

blahman Senior member

I reckon when you go shirt without jacket, it is better to be wearing a shirt that is coloured, has a placket, has a pattern, or even some contrasting stitching/details as a show of intent that the shirt you're wearing is suppose to be outerwear. Plain white poplin with medium cutaway collar will still scream for a jacket over it.

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

That was me - I think the issue for many of us is that we would not feel comfortable wearing these fabrics (linen/cotton) to meetings etc despite the fact that they would be "appropriate". Casual friday, a day with no meetings - sure. But to something important... I probably wouldn't dare. I'm sure some members with a bit more gumption/more senior position or in different industries would have no problem with this though. Then again, I probably also wouldn't wear chinos as FXH mentioned to one of these type of things.... so it's a bit of a quandry.

Generally on a day where (a) I have something important on and (b) it is stinking hot I will wear a lightweight suit and shirt if possible (oxford cloth is right out). I might also - shock horror - avoid putting on the jacket or even tie until I get to work to avoid sweltering in the public transport crush. This breaks all our "rules" but I think it's a lot better than rocking up in a sweat and worrying about how you smell the rest of the day.

Something I'd like to get into this summer is to get a pair of pants with buttons for some bracers - I think it's another way of making the no-jacket look a bit better. I think you have to be careful with this look though... it can very easily border on trying too hard territory.

I would also just like to second what henrycarter said a few pages back - No Sweat and similar products are a godsend in summer (and any other time of the year). I went from having constant sweat patches and ruining all my clothes to basically not sweating at all on my underarms/back. Been using it for about 2 years now with no issues.

You only need to put it on before going to bed once every 3-4 nights in my experience, so a $20 bottle lasts for months and months. It also means that you can choose to wear "deodorants" (smell better & no aluminium content) over "anti-perspirants" (smell worse and contain alum which is what creates white marks on your clothes when it mixes with sweat AFAIK) since you don't really worry about sweating anymore.

*edit*

I purchased a hopsack suit in navy from epaulet recently which I think will be a great summer suit. It doesn't wrinkle like linen/cotton and is very, very breathable - I hardly feel the jacket at all.Almost too cold to wear in winter! The subtle texture of it makes it 10x more interesting than your average navy suit too, and means you can use the jacket as a blazer too. Something that some of you may like to consider for the summer.

5. Robert Meredith

Robert Meredith Well-Known Member

Quick question - does everyone wear undershirts? (both for warmth and to protect shirt)

Second - Florsheim have a clearance on Gilmore 5 hole wingtip brogue in Black, Tan and Wine for $99.80 (w/free shipping) down from $169.95. Worth it?

http://www.florsheim.com.au/shop/style/12023507.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advice on getting wine vs tan, or should I just hold off for a new pair from herring (I have a pair of black Loake 201b that I love)?

6. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Great post, fxh!!! This is why I like this forum.

7. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

And I thought you were just here for the shoes GN. Or is it the shoe horns these days...

(PS I know I owe you and CK an email...it is coming).

8. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Timely post - thanks to the forecasted 13 degree high in Melbourne today, I am rocking a navy pinstripe three piece today.

9. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Can someone else tackle this one? I'm afraid by advice is a little blunt and not very constructive

In short - they're horrible. Save your $ and put them towards something more sound and versatile.

10. Robert Meredith

Robert Meredith Well-Known Member

Be blunt, I won't take offense. I'm pretty new to style in general (and very new to SF), but I've got thick skin.

I'm newly self-employed as a professional (<12 months post-uni), and saving for a trip to Mexico, so I'm trying to balance being budget conscious while still buying quality.

^^ thanks.

11. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

They're flimsy and look terrible.

Go with your alternative idea - grab something from herrings for dollar the money . Much better bang for buck, lay down a few extra $ up front and see the benefits in the long term .

12. Romp

Romp Senior member

I like Muji for basics too - check it out if you get a chance.

13. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

^^ Absolutely agreed.

I'm in a similar position to you, Mr. Meredith, (22, Honours student that needs to wear business attire) and I own two pairs of business shoes. A black Herring captoe and a dark brown leather semi-brogue from some unknown brand. I get a lot of use out of both of these, and I try to look after them (shoe trees, polish, clean, etc) and haven't noticed any decrease in quality in the past year. Now that it's tax return time, I'm seriously considering some lighter brown shoes from Herring. $250 AUD gets you a (for the money, in my opinion, etc) very decent pair of shoes with some shoe trees.

14. pasey25

will keep my eye out for it.

biggest challenge is on the size front to be honest.

I also checked out TSC the suit company as previously suggested but I didn't find anything in my size of a quality I was happy with.

15. Romp

Romp Senior member

yeah i find sizing in japan hard ... shoes are the best find with transferrable sizing (as long as u dont have size bigger than 9UK !)

OTR Suits are problematic. Sizing is too skinny and the drop is too much for me. All sizing is by drops and i believe standard was a drop8 over there? vs drop 6 standard in western countries. I could be totally wrong on this but I recall an issue with the waist drop when I tried a few on.

16. pasey25

UK10 or 10.5 :crazy:

when i found some of the larger jacket sizes the drops were OK. I tried a BB unstructured cotton jacket that looked good but the armholes were too low.

17. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Guilty as charged! I have been playing the bagpipes for nigh on 25 years and have these shoes as a part of my playing uniform. I've never really given them a good polish before and I thought I'd test out the spit polishing method with them prior to seeing what I can do with my C&J's.

As noted previously I'm happy with the result (the photo may not do it full justice) and intend to put a few more layers of polish on. Oh, and when worn with the right style socks and a kilt, they cut quite a great look!

Cheers

18. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I've taken to wearing an undershirt for the first time this winter, because I am feeling the cold a lot more. I picked up an Icebreaker wool undershirt at the DJs sale, and find it really good. I'm warm when I need to be but, because it's wool, I don't get hot when in the building. They fit nice and snug too, so not visible.

19. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

This is pretty much my view as well. Given that, I'm quite ok to wander around the office without my suit jacket on. Come to think of it I don't think anyone wears their jacket indoors.

The good news?
    It's my birthday in late August and I arrived home to find a package containing a pair of Carmina brown punched captoe oxfords (simpson last) that my wife has bought me as a present (what a champion!).

The bad news?
    The box remains unopened as is now stashed at the back of the wardrobe where it shall remain for four more weeks. The horror!!!

20. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Is this a last you're familiar with?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.