Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

ooh - I wouldn't be quite so direct.

[Unfortunately this is a male version of the feel good Oprah populist "pinkification" of sexy groovy illness. Like breast cancer. Theres more danger from Bowel Cancer and there is very successful early treatment for Bowel Cancer. But then Bowel Cancer isn't sexy.]

But then again theres a lot wrong with their site and info.

More accurately:: Prostate cancer is the most common cause of death from cancer in men over age 75. Prostate cancer is rarely found in men younger than 40.

Not really. Misunderstanding of statistics.

Not really.

The question of prostate specific antigen (PSA) testing for prostate cancer is not whether any individual has ever benefited from a PSA test, to which the answer is yes.

The question is whether a PSA test should be recommended for all men in a population screening program, to which the answer is clearly no.

Why is this?

Simply, the PSA is not accurate enough. In particular, if a patient has cancer, the PSA can’t distinguish between a prostate cancer that will never cause a problem in a man’s lifetime from one that could cause his death.

Not really.
    The chances of developing prostate cancer increase as you get older. Most cases develop in men aged 70 or older.

unlike many other cancers, prostate cancer usually progresses very slowly. A man can live for decades without having any symptoms or needing any treatment. Many men die with prostate cancer, rather than as a result of it.

Prostate cancer is a disease from which you are more likely to die very late in life. For elderly men - those over 84 - the death rate is 767 per 100,000 men, while for those aged 40 to 44 it is 0.3. This means there will be one death per year from prostate cancer in every 330,000 men aged 40-44, an age group the Urological Society now believes should be tested. The odds of any one man this age dying from the disease are nearly twice as poor as winning first prize in a lottery with 200,000 tickets.

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie? What men should know before getting tested for prostate cancer FREE BOOK - by an Australian - http://purl.library.usyd.edu.au/sup/9781920899684

Theres better ways to spend your money than clicking on these fashion guys websites.

More later

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

2. VGia

VGia New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm from 100 Days and one of you guys directed me here so I just thought I'd come in here and say hello and reply to a couple of things.

In all honesty, I can really say this isn't the case. The blog is only running for 100 Days in an effort to raise funds and neither of us run a blog outside of this one (I used to help with a fashion photography one but no longer do). After the 100 Days the blog is done and the fundraising is finished. On top of that, I know a lot of people personally affected by prostate cancer so this is a cause pretty close to me personally.

Don't worry - not discouraged! In defense of Patrick - this jacket was made about 3 years ago for me. My body has changed considerably since then and I haven't had it altered when I should have. In general my cotton suits to fit a lot tighter than my other suits, my pants are shorter etc. I accept that it probably isn't for most people but I'm sure you've seen a lot of what Patrick has done so I don't think you should get put off by one photo. On top of that my suits go through hell and back and are still holding up.

If you're interest, it would really be great if you would write something for us about suit fits. We haven't really got anyone discussing it in full yet, and we'd love for you to contribute if you're interested? Let me know!

Ven

3. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

So a couple of quick (lighthearted) notes from yesterday's lunch.

Lennier for some reason reminded me a lot of this chap but with a burgundy (sorry - brown) knit tie (did the others see this?) -
    [​IMG]

This is how California Dreamer spends his holidays -
    [​IMG]

This would be Gerry Nelson at home with his shoe collection -
    [​IMG]

This is how appolyon wants the world to see him -
    [​IMG]

aKula joins a long list of well dressed gentlemen with an interest in physics (sorry aKula, could not resist, he actually looks a lot more like his avatar) -
    [​IMG]

And his beautiful cherry shoes reminded me of these -
    http://linenforsummertweedforwinter.../mostexerent-saint-crispins-cherry-taken-with

And this is how thebrownman spends his days -
    [​IMG]

(actually a better idea of his outfit can be gathered from his excellent Tumblr - http://thediscoursecircus.tumblr.com/post/20896148956/wiwt-taken-with-instagram)

And me, Pink Socks, this how I am guessing I came off -
    [​IMG]

4. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Blast. Button came off my jacket. Not sure if it was shoddy workmanship or a not so subtle hint that I need to lose weight.

5. VGia

VGia New Member

Sorry I hit reply before I saw FXH's reply.

I'm finding it hard how to work out exactly how to reply in multiple quotes and I'm at work so I spend too much time replying. What I can say is that we got our info from the charity we are supporting, the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia and we are now fleshing it out with information that was undertaken by surveys completed by post-grad students at UTS. I wasn't actually aware of that book, but I'm definitely going to read it now.

Just on a couple of points though, Prostate Cancer is maintained by the PFCA as being the most common cancer in Australian men AND being the second most deadly. The fact that men are older isn't really an issue to me - the fact that they're dying is and that most men don't feel well informed is. The other stats we quoted come from the same source (32 diagnosed a day, 1 dying every 3 hours).

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]We also understand that the PSA isn't as accurate as a digital rectal examination (DRE) - however the aim of telling men about the PSA is that a lot don't realise that it even exists and we're trying to use it as a way of encouraging to make men go and speak to their doctors about it without having to worry about a compulsory DRE (even though we understand most doctors recommend a DRE).[/FONT]

Also, just to completely clarify - we see no money. Clicking the donation link takes you to an outside website - Everyday Hero - which processes all donations and they were recommended to us by the PCFA. You're not spending money on some fashion guy's websites.

If there are other concerns I'll try and answer later. Thanks guys.

Edit: I had a chance to read a small portion of the book and obviously this is something people have to speak to their Doctor about if they're concerned.

6. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Hey Ven Thanks for taking the time to post in a pleasant and reasonable manner. And welcome to SF!

7. IndigoB

IndigoB New Member

I was asked by someone a while back to post a few photos of my Loake 1880 Buckinghams when they arrived in Tassie from Herring Shoes.

Not having owned a pair of shoes like this before I was impressed by the sleek look and the shoe trees I ordered were quite nice too. Trying on them on around the house they felt like they fit pretty well. I got a 10.5F and the width is perfect I would say (I take a 10.5 H in RM Williams although a 10.5 G would probably be fine as well). There are a few cm of room in the toe and no heel slippage that I can detect. I was pretty nervous about the fit having ordered from the UK but I think it worked out ok.

I wore them to work this morning and got a big blister straight away on the right heel. The left foot feels good except for a bit of pressure where the shoe bends across the instep. I think they are going to take a few wears to break in.

The rubber on the heel and the leather soles are are already more pitted from small stones after one wear than my 2 year old RM Williams are.

Here are a few photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Due to the flash, the tan colour is actually a bit darker than some of the first few photos show. The last one is a bit more true to the colour.

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

While I appreciate the need to raise mens health awareness and get men to go to the doctor more often etc, can we please ban any future references in this thread to 'digital rectal examination' and its apparent acronym 'DRE'.

Ta.

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I agree - Analogue is always better!

10. The Ernesto

Holy hell. I hate to think what the 'analogue' is!!

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

12. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

13. The Ernesto

Roff!!

14. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

A tongue won't be long or hard enough, I'm afraid...

15. lennier

lennier Senior member

Am I committing heresy if I ask who my supposed doppleganger is? More importantly, is he considered stylish? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.