Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I have a couple of automatic watches that I wear intermittently. Can anyone suggest where I can get a watch winder at a reasonable price?

2. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Nooooooo. Temptation get thee behind me.

3. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Bright socks for bright people.

OK tomorrow. 12.30pm at Treviso (the people's choice). Anyone still welcome. I will try to get there a little earlier to grab a table. Maybe you could do the same Gerry. Think there will be about 6 ofus - Pink Socks (me), Gerry Nelson, appolyon, Lennier, thebrownman, Calfornia Dreamer and anyone is else is more than welcome to join for a drink/meal/whatever.

We should be easy enough to spot but I will be the 6 foot blond chap in the navy P Johnson suit. That the Style Forum challenge for me...

Please PM me if you want anymore details.

PS not sure what Treviso's policy is on bill splitting, paying by card etc so may be good to bring some smaller notes if possible.

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

Did that suit cost you $100?

5. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

Hahahaha i rolled mine on Friday morning at 11!!!!! Three hours into the weekend and its ruined!!!

Ended up tearing a ligament so I've been doing some serious ebay trawling for the last 4 days in bed

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

6. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Thanks to all who contributed Cottonwork tips.

7. quar

quar Senior member

Do they have Calendar Complications?

Seems a bit overkill.

I don't wear my watch everyday, and just wind it up, and set the time whenever I put it on.

8. Binary Revolver

Binary Revolver Active Member

Hey so I'm new here, I think this is my first post, anyway I just wanted to say hi and get in this thread. I haven't had time to go through the 790 or so pages here so I don't really know what this thread is about, but I assume its for Australian members just to have a place to talk-at least judging by the title, unless this is all some sort of elaborate ruse.
    Anyway, I should probably give a short introduction. I'm 19 and live in Sydney, am about 180cm and 57kg-so tall and skinny. I don't know if I dress well but I don't think I dress badly, I keep my shirts buttoned and my clothes fit well, which is more than what most guys I see can say.

While I'm here I guess I'll get some advice. I was looking to buy a new jacket, something not too heavy, good quality, maybe in a navy colour. I was thinking about getting a bomber jacket or just getting the slim g9 Harrington, but that seems like an older guys jacket or something I might wear on a golf course. Any suggestions? The weather here is getting scarily unpredictable, so I wanted something that I could layer and keep me warm and protect against the wind when its cold on Tuesday, but would still be suitable for wearing over a t shirt when its sunny and warmer on Wednesday.

Also I don't know how to tie a tie, I've learnt, but I can never remember. I wore a proper tie to school everyday from year 4 in 2002 to the day I graduated in 2010 and somehow I never remembered how to actually tie the thing.

Also I don't like wearing clothes made in China, does that make me pretentious or do most people follow this rule?

I appreciate any answers and plan to stop lurking so much and post here more in the future.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

9. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Welcome BR. Enjoy the combined knowledge of some of the more knowledgeable people around.

10. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of guides on the net about tying a tie, mainly look for how to tie a four in hand, which is the easiest to tie anyway and the most favoured around here.

Not wearing chinese made stuff isn't pretentious at all. Though its very hard not to these days at a retail level but on the other hand don't forget there is some good stuff coming out of China as well. On a personal level where I have control over it (i.e my own label) I don't make anything in China or any 3rd world countries at present not because of snobbery but because I don't want to make compromises in production and of course there are the concerns over wages, working conditions etc on top of that as well.

Cheers
    Jason

11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

OK for those turning up at Treviso at 12.30pm today, look for a man in black oxfords, a navy suit, light blue shirt with a maroon shantung tie and green pocket square. The socks are maroon too.

If there is someone else there in the same getup, stick with him as he will probably be better company.

Hope getting a table etc will be easy enough. Looking forward to it.

12. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

^ Have fun guys

Cross posted from WAYWRN today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coat: Caruso Navy Hopsack
    Shirt: Cottonwork
    Tie: Henry Carter Neckwear wool
    Trousers: Benjamin Sartorial
    Shoes: Carmina Burgundy Derbies

13. aKula

aKula Senior member

I will be at the lunch today as well if you have space for one more. I've been away for a week so only saw the thread this morning.

14. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

Dumbest "rule" Ive heard of

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Absolutely, all welcome, just turn up and enjoy. No booking so hoping it is easy enough to grab a table.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.