• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm keen to purchase a few of the Filson products (briefcase and travel bag), however their website doesn't sell directly to Australia.

Has anyone purchased any Filson products locally in Australia? If so, I would assume they are all at an inflated price?

Any feedback on the product itself of the process is appreciated.

I have a Filson Field Satchel which I bought from Solomon Brothers in Huston back at the end of 2007. The price for it then was only $600 US or it could have been cheaper. The bag its self is great, functional and serves me well for work.

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After reading all the jeans talk around here, this (and reading what fxh wrote) was pretty refreshing and what I'm going to do: http://craftworkwear.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/you-heard-it-here-first-skinny-jeans.html

I was also reading the Age and the photo used here caught my eye - it may as well be from someone's fashion blog. Two inch cuffs (in blogger blue?), split-toe derbies (of a sort) and no socks!

The context makes me wonder if this is the general perception.

The article itself caught my attention and I would love to just spear tackle Ms Grant off her moral high horse.

"When I asked Tom Ballard his thoughts on why gay male comics can get away with misogyny (for example, doing jokes about how revolting they find vaginas) he replied, “...I wouldn't say that someone saying that they're disgusted by vaginas is necessarily misogynist; it could just be them being brutally honest.”
I know Tom and I know he cares about women; his routines often point out the hypocrisy of discrimination against them. However, this may be an example of what Peter is talking about—it's not deliberate sexism, it's simply not always recognising it for what it is.
Honesty does not cancel out misogyny. Finding vaginas revolting is hating something that is exclusively female. We would be horrified by a straight man saying such a thing and yet we exempt gay males from the same scrutiny. That doesn't do either us or gay men any favours and it excludes them from the mainstream debate."

Finding vaginas disgusting is not sexism. Just because females exclusively have them does not mean hating them is sexism. Just step back a bit and objectively see what vaginas (well, vulva) look like and what they do. I would find them disgusting too if I don't want stick ******** in them. I find other peoples penises disgusting too. Geeeeeeeeez.

and that is also what I think, including how unfunny she actually is:

"Of course sexism in comedy is not exclusive to men. Please find me a female comic who does not based half of their jokes on how awful men are. And we have all heard women joke about how ugly penises and scrotums are. Corrine I think you have failed to understand what comedy is really about. I never saw you as a comedian anyway, so I don't expect you to understand."

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Of course sexism in comedy is not exclusive to men. Please find me a female comic who does not based half of their jokes on how awful men are. And we have all heard women joke about how ugly penises and scrotums are. Corrine I think you have failed to understand what comedy is really about. I never saw you as a comedian anyway, so I don't expect you to understand."

Quoted the quote you quoted because it's so true. As much as I hate to admit it, she's not really that funny.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
Quoted the quote you quoted because it's so true. As much as I hate to admit it, she's not really that funny.

Prior to this diatribe I found her humour similar to swallowing glass....somewhat unpleasant...so reached for the remote every time. She's grasping for relevance its that simple.

Lets find something else to discuss this week. Checked out Cranes over the break, looks ok. Am guessing that members here recommend them?

Also had a look over Cotton Works...seems many of you here endorse them and are happy with your experience. Am blown away each day by the 'reach' you all have to great products. My Bookmarks file has not seen so much activity in months and months. Priority this week is Grenadine from Henry Carter and Deer Style at some stage. So much to see, so little time.

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
Thought I would share these with you, they arrived in the email inbox today - some interesting developments that must be worrying the retailers here in Australia.

Hope the links work for you -

Zara: Changes Are in Store, but What Will They Mean for the Retail Chain

http://www.wharton.universia.net/index.cfm?fa=viewArticle&id=2190&language=english

Inditex Dazzles its Competitors Again

http://www.wharton.universia.net/index.cfm?fa=viewArticle&id=1050&language=english

Some very interesting developments here...themes such as "The Customer Rules", transparency, authenticity, shopping experiences!! .... themes I have banged on about here previously. The Zara business model is worth watching and if I were DJs, Myer, Sportsgirl, etc etc Id be @#$% bricks.

Last edited:

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prior to this diatribe I found her humour similar to swallowing glass....somewhat unpleasant...so reached for the remote every time. She's grasping for relevance its that simple.

Lets find something else to discuss this week. Checked out Cranes over the break, looks ok. Am guessing that members here recommend them?

Also had a look over Cotton Works...seems many of you here endorse them and are happy with your experience. Am blown away each day by the 'reach' you all have to great products. My Bookmarks file has not seen so much activity in months and months. Priority this week is Grenadine from Henry Carter and Deer Style at some stage. So much to see, so little time.

I always muted her consistently ****** monologues on ABC's Glasshouse.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting articles about Zara. I've been to the shop in Bourke St, Melbourne a few times and always thought that there was something there that I would be happy to buy. The closest I've gotten so far is a Massimo Dutti belt from Malaysia which sees a ton of use.

The place is laid out well and the assistants aren't in your face.

On another note, are we on for lunch tomorrow? Hope everyone's keeping warm on this 14 degree Melbourne day!

Last edited:

Windowpane1967

Reaction score
Very interesting articles about Zara. I've been to the shop in Bourke St, Melbourne a few times and always thought that there was something there that I would be happy to buy. The closest I've gotten so far is a Massimo Dutti belt from Malaysia which sees a ton of use.

The place is laid out well and the assistants aren't in your face.

Yeah very true. Other challenge for fathers with daughters is the change room situation - geesh. I sat on the bench outside the change rooms on a few occasions waiting for the princess to try several get ups, only to be asked by security to "not sit on the displays"...hahahah!!! Anyway, ended up chatting with several other fathers all doing the same. Major development could be the inclusion of a fathers den where we all wait on a line of Chesterfields, wallets at the ready, perhaps somewhere near to the checkouts.

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
I know that some stores in london have the "boyfriend and husbands" area. A long couch with sky sports football playing so that the WAGS can shop to their hearts content whilst the blokes sit around and watch the football.

Good business if you ask me....

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that some stores in london have the "boyfriend and husbands" area. A long couch with sky sports football playing so that the WAGS can shop to their hearts content whilst the blokes sit around and watch the football.

Good business if you ask me....

I wish there was a place for my girl to sit when I go shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads