• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 12 month old Esquire today at the dentist. Had a lift out in it for Clad Men, an online shop, similar to Mr Porter Im guessing. When you go to the site it says, "The site is permanently offline". Any heads up about what happened to this site?

www.cladmen.com/

Esquire launched the website with some other ecommerce company last year some time. According to sources, it just wasn't ready to take off and the project was recently abandoned.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charlie's Wardrobe (and anyone else with experience): what are your preferred Cottonwork options... ? Or to ask the question another way, what's been your experience with the collar/cuffs/yoke etc. options that they offer.

Any other tips apart from those you posted earlier (request soft interlining/high collar with single button)? Do the shirts shrink at all? Any weird measurement quirks?

Also, have you ordered darts or any of the pleat options? Not sure what they will do if I select darts: i.e. how much will be darted.

I'm going to order a test shirt based on an R&B shirt I own - it fits nicely but is darted like all my shirts. I'd like to stop using darts in my shirts if possible, but I'm not sure if I can get the fit around the back that I want without them. The guys at Katrina's certainly don't think it's possible. I actually think darts look quite good on patterned shirts when the pattern is matched correctly (which Katrina's always do), but are much more noticeable on solids.

So I'm not sure whether to measure this shirt and just ignore the fact that it has darts, or ask for the darts option to be added.

A lot of my OTR shirts end up having a box pleat & darts, which I feel makes for a few too many things going on on the back of the shirt at once (particularly on an OCBD). Given my body shape (big neck/shoulders, slim waist), it's hard to imagine going with any other combo that would be slim but still have some movement. I guess that's why I am trying MTM...!

Thanks

Last edited:

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
I've ordered 6 CottonWork shirts. I don't ask for the double collar like Charlie does but I think that is more personal preference than a must have. I always got the cutaway collar and emailed them right after ordering that I would like the softer interlining.

You don't need to get pleats if the shirt you are measuring has pleats. I measured using an existing shirt (which has pleats) and it came out the same. My first shirt was the superior 1 ply range and I haven't noticed any major changes after washing and tumble drying it multiple times.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Charlie's Wardrobe (and anyone else with experience): what are your preferred Cottonwork options... ? Or to ask the question another way, what's been your experience with the collar/cuffs/yoke etc. options that they offer.

Any other tips apart from those you posted earlier (request soft interlining/high collar with single button)? Do the shirts shrink at all? Any weird measurement quirks?

Also, have you ordered darts or any of the pleat options? Not sure what they will do if I select darts: i.e. how much will be darted.

I'm going to order a test shirt based on an R&B shirt I own - it fits nicely but is darted like all my shirts. I'd like to stop using darts in my shirts if possible, but I'm not sure if I can get the fit around the back that I want without them. The guys at Katrina's certainly don't think it's possible. I actually think darts look quite good on patterned shirts when the pattern is matched correctly (which Katrina's always do), but are much more noticeable on solids.

So I'm not sure whether to measure this shirt and just ignore the fact that it has darts, or ask for the darts option to be added.

A lot of my OTR shirts end up having a box pleat & darts, which I feel makes for a few too many things going on on the back of the shirt at once (particularly on an OCBD). Given my body shape (big neck/shoulders, slim waist), it's hard to imagine going with any other combo that would be slim but still have some movement. I guess that's why I am trying MTM...!

Thanks

Apart from the above not too much to add. I've had a few different cuff options but always button cuff as I don't wear french cuffs at all. I've never had darts in any of them and I have a reasonable drop of 8 inches. I've had darts added on some otr shirts I've had altered but prefer not too really if given the choice.

I will say as I mentioned to one of the other guys that pm'd me about cottonwork it took me a good 6 shirts to get the tweaking and details down pat to where I am now. Now I have I'm very happy with them apart from a few little nit pics like the thinness of the MOP buttons and I get about 2 or 3 pm's a week about them so must be doing something right.

Plestor

Reaction score

Charlie's Wardrobe (and anyone else with experience): what are your preferred Cottonwork options... ?

Firstly I have not used cottonwork itself. A few comments however.

Firstly darts will change the front/back balance lower down the shirt without taking the seam offf your side. This allows the shirt to cut trimmer into the nape of the back without being tight across your gut. Furthermore given you have a large drop having a very tight waist measurement can look odd. I don't know how well they do their pattern matching but you may be better off getting them post darted and leaving some extra room.

Similar reasons are why non "sack" jackets are darted. I'd also point out that they don't do split yokes with all the problems that it implies.

On pleats only the waterfall style (forget the correct term) actually adds noticable room which they don't offer (based upon their website). Carl (CEGO) had a nice explination of why this is so but I can't seem to find it.

Box pleats (and then darts on rtw / if require for posture) are very traditional with OCBDs

A few general tips on mtm:

Cuffs that fit with extra length in the sleeve works out *much* better and is also safer... the problem is if you wear overly thick watches for obvious reasons. Really look over the example shirt carefully before putting the measurements in, ideally get someone to check for issues that aren't easily fixable in rtw (mainly around posture and shoulders).Slim is over-rated you (or atleast I did) will find yourself moving to something more moderate now that you can choose each area's fit individually.

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents what do you guys think of Country Road SC ? I have never purchased any thing form them before (everything seems a little too big). However yesterday came across this SC in DJ . It looked really nice. And after I tried it on I was surprised to see it had quite slim fit. My mrs imposed a 8 months ban on my shopping so didn't end up buying this. What are your thoughts on this ? I was at $299 which is not bad becos CR goes on sale quite often.

http://shop.countryroad.com.au/#pag...wear/Apparel/60146657/Velvet-Item-Jacket.html

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone into mens bracelets?  Have narrowed down to this one.  Any other recommendations based on experience?

PB_Bands.jpg

I occasionally wear the above bands when others annoy me at work with various New AGE and PR Feel Good causes.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ha! Went in an op shop on the peninsula and found a Chester Barrie houndstooth sportscoat in my size :) Just need to get the waist taken in a little bit but the shoulders are good. Did NOT expect to see in this Australia!

By the way, thought you all might like to have a laugh - someone found this photo of me from the early 90s :)

Think I should post this in Streetwear and Denim or Men's Clothing? :D

Gerry - I think that looks fine - even these days. Most pants are too tight and narrow.

RemyMichel

Reaction score

Gents what do you guys think of Country Road SC ? I have never purchased any thing form them before (everything seems a little too big). However yesterday came across this SC in DJ . It looked really nice. And after I tried it on I was surprised to see it had quite slim fit. My mrs imposed a 8 months ban on my shopping so didn't end up buying this. What are your thoughts on this ? I was at $299 which is not bad becos CR goes on sale quite often.
http://shop.countryroad.com.au/#pag...wear/Apparel/60146657/Velvet-Item-Jacket.html

Not a fan of the lapels curviness, i prefer a straiter peak lapel.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gerry - I think that looks fine - even these days. Most pants are too tight and narrow.

fxh, you're too kind. Those would be ok if they were pants but they were black jeans, if I recall :) I was so proud to get that biker's jacket - the buttons had little skulls and crossbones.

Plestor

Reaction score
Ha! Went in an op shop on the peninsula and found a Chester Barrie houndstooth sportscoat in my size :) Just need to get the waist taken in a little bit but the shoulders are good. Did NOT expect to see in this Australia!

By the way, thought you all might like to have a laugh - someone found this photo of me from the early 90s :)

Think I should post this in Streetwear and Denim or Men's Clothing? :D

Ha I wear ~9' hems on a 29ish' waist.

Also no to the jacket but I make fxh look progressive at times...

Last edited:

Nathan5653

Reaction score
Hi everyone, apologies for my first post being a question but this has been bugging me for a while and I just found out about styleforum. I'm a first year university student and I'm looking to find a nice fitting suit for formal events. However, I can only spend something around ~$500 so I have no idea where I should be looking.

Thanks

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fxh, you're too kind. Those would be ok if they were pants but they were black jeans, if I recall :) I was so proud to get that biker's jacket - the buttons had little skulls and crossbones.

Oh I could improve it but the basics are ok. Hope you kept the jacket.

I'd shorten the jeans. Black denim is fine. Its a bit rock an roll dog look. Shorten jeans, black belt with silver studs or something, black docs or clompy style boots, white T shirt a bit higher collar on T, white western /cowboy shirt with embroidered seams, pearl studs, etc, or blue denim shirt with metal or pearl white buttons. Keep the 'fro.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi everyone, apologies for my first post being a question but this has been bugging me for a while and I just found out about styleforum. I'm a first year university student and I'm looking to find a nice fitting suit for formal events. However, I can only spend something around ~$500 so I have no idea where I should be looking.

Thanks
Hi mate welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit more about where you are based and one of us will be able to give you some more advice.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I could improve it but the basics are ok. Hope you kept the jacket.
I'd shorten the jeans. Black denim is fine. Its a bit rock an roll dog look. Shorten jeans, black belt with silver studs or something, black docs or clompy style boots, white T shirt a bit higher collar on T, white western /cowboy shirt with embroidered seams, pearl studs, etc, or blue denim shirt with metal or pearl white buttons. Keep the 'fro.

I wish - that was back from 1993 when I was still in university. Those clothes are long gone but funnily enough I did keep a blue denim shirt with pearl white buttons. The 'fro was on the way to growing a ponytail.

I hear what you're saying about the rest, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads