Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

2. Gerry Nelson

If he's not counting casual wear that it should be fine provided you do the washing once a week.

3. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Ah.

4. quar

quar Senior member

I'd recommend that you decide how much money you wish to save each fortnight, and have that deducted automatically from your account, into a high-interest savings account. The UBank USaver is the best product at the moment in Australia.

Whatever is left behind, use that to pay the bills, buy food, and buy whatever luxury items you can afford. If there's not enough money in your account, don't buy it.

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

If only Greece and Portugal had a friend like you.

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

@ quar: Riiight but say I get paid weekly (I do) on a Thursday. What's to stop me from going fucking nuts on Thursday because I have the money in my account, only to find on Friday--whoops! I'm broke and can't afford food. The problem is even worse if you get paid less regularly. You need some method of earmarking money ahead of time, imho.

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

8. quar

quar Senior member

I'm just suggesting that you nominate what is a reasonable amount of money to save each year, calculate what that is weekly, and have automated deductions arranged on each pay day. I've been doing that for the last 4 years (I get paid fortnightly).

When I buy things with what's left over, I don't lose any sleep over it, because I know that more than 50% of my income is being tucked away in another account. And when I work extra busy fortnights or work extra shifts outside my main job in the public sector, I'm rewarded by having more money to play with, with no guilt over spending it.

Have a poke around http://www.barefootinvestor.com - buy and read his book, it's all very simple stuff, but it changed the way I treated money. I spent 6 years in Medical School, and learnt nothing about money. My father was in the medical profession as well, and knew very little about how to manage money either. I have friends who have worked for 4 years, earning well over 6 figures each year, who have no cash, property, shares or belongings (other than flash cars, with equally flash car loans) to their name. If you don't organise yourself financially, you'll hit 30 and wonder what happened with all the money you've earnt.

9. Gerry Nelson

Ignore the cheesy title - it's a pretty good book: http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/

In line with what Quar wrote, the whole idea of automating your finances is a good one but you do need to be honest with yourself. If you do want to spend $10k a year on luxury items, that's fine but make sure it's part of your plan. There's nothing wrong with enjoying life.

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I love lists like this (but no pink socks?), think others should do one (me too). Here are a couple of similar things -

http://linenforsummertweedforwinter...erro-huge-fan-from-norway-here-im-a-21-yo-law

http://linenforsummertweedforwinter.../advice-for-building-a-suitable-wardrobe-from

Good point GN. But now you have the shoes think your next large purchase should be a MTM suit and a couple of shirts. The whole experience (without going too native) is great, choosing fabric and details that really suit your wants and needs and it fits better than anything you have worn before etc. The rest of your wardrobe should reflect your impressive and well thought out shoe collection.

For those interested in suede shoes - http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2012/04/suede-shoes-at-weekend.html

and http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/on-the-street-rue-saint-honore-paris-14/ (this one is for you fxh).

Thank you to GN and quar for financial insights/ideas (and tobiasj for raising it), that is one of the many great things about this thread, help for all on a wide range of topics.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

11. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

I know this may have been asked a million times but has anyone had a blazer commissioned by P johnson? how much does it cost? im thinking of getting an unlined/ partially lined two button navy cotton blazer made and wanted to know what his starting price is.

horn buttons, patch pockets etc

12. Gerry Nelson

Oh no! This is how it all starts :) You're such an erudite fellow!

By the way, nice posts on suede shoes!

13. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

< Thought the avatar would please Pink Socks :)

Also i thought i would share a photo that i took of Christian from Herringbone's beautiful worn in Sydney C&J loafers.

[​IMG]

I was going to make that my AV because i like the shoes so much but i thought it might be a little creepy :nodding:

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

What a bunch of I indulgent overpaid wusses.

.You all need to htfu , get a mortgage, some kids, clapped out cars, medical expenses, look after you aging parents, or disabled brother, help out a charity, properly not through some PR excercise organized through work, help some homeless, give a roof to a refugee.

Then set about getting your next pair of double monks or tailored suit instead of fixing the leaking spout or buying a reference book or a hip replacement for your mum. That's when the going gets tough.

On top of all that try going out drinking with appolyon.

Me, --- when the going gets weird, the weird get going.

15. Spinning

Spinning Active Member

New member checking in.
    Aussie of course! Will be going through this thread and look forward to Creating a great wardrobe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.