• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

deingesicht

Reaction score

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we're on the topic of getting cheap stuff, Just popped into DJs for a lunchtime browse. It seems like we are finally over the whole knit tie fashion phase?

Belmondo 2" plain black, red or dark navy silk knit ties are on sale for $17 each and there are stacks of them. Obviously they do not have the best hand and are nothing compared to Drakes, but they are very much wearable. I would really want to grab one of the navy ones but I have a ban on myself and an extra tie is hardly an emergency requirement.

Thomas Pink and Milana ties are also on sale too if you're interested. Geoffrey Beane leather gloves are down to $17 also which is good value as a pair of beaters that you can throw away come spring again or wear for gardening after. Only size L left though. Milana leather cashmere gloves are back again too but only size 10 left(seems like they stash them in a box in the back and bring them out every Autumn as sale item).

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh I've also got some of Epaulets new line of cotton regimental twills arriving soon so I can provide some feedback on those as well.

The brick coloured ones look great! So who here hasn't actually got a pair of red trousers or not contemplating getting a pair?:laugh:

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my new clothing budget is $50/week, for everything except once or twice yearly suit purchases. What do you think, doable?

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting:

"Allocating funds to each item is fairly simple. Take the annual budget and divide by five. Spend that amount on each suit, odd jacket and trousers, pair of shoes (that might be a tad high on the shoes but most men need to spend more than they do on their footwear) or the year’s shirts and neckties."

52 * $50 = $2600. /5 = $520

I'm happy with shoes in the $250-300 range, so that pads the suit budget. I reckon that sounds about right...

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I reckon you can do with much fewer than 12 suits.

6 should be sufficient enough.

6 year round weight suits
or
4 year round weight suits + 1 winter weight + 1 summer weight (for variety or season novelty's sake).

Overcoat over suit for especially chilly days or extra layer of a cotton, wool, or cashmere v-neck jumper or vest under the suit for slightly chillier days.

Odd jacket and trousers can be part of your professional wardrobe as well if your office only requires business casual,

Plenty of variety there already. 15 shirts is a must though. 6 pairs of shoes sounds about right.

But there's NO SUCH THING AS ENOUGH TIES!

Current spending for the year: 1 set of Wang links, 1 pair of Bexley Shoes, 2 pair of Giordano Chinos. Controlling myself quite well I must say.

Last edited:

Naka

Reaction score

So my new clothing budget is $50/week, for everything except once or twice yearly suit purchases. What do you think, doable?

Only if you can roll it over. I think I could do $100, but $50 would have me constantly salivating over almost everything I look at.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ I reckon you can do with much fewer than 12 suits.
6 should be sufficient enough.
6 year round weight suits
or
4 year round weight suits + 1 winter weight + 1 summer weight (for variety or season novelty's sake).
Overcoat over suit for especially chilly days or extra layer of a cotton, wool, or cashmere v-neck jumper or vest under the suit for slightly chillier days.
Odd jacket and trousers can be part of your professional wardrobe as well if your office only requires business casual,
Plenty of variety there already. 15 shirts is a must though. 6 pairs of shoes sounds about right.
But there's NO SUCH THING AS ENOUGH TIES!
Current spending for the year: 1 set of Wang links, 1 pair of Bexley Shoes. Controlling myself quite well I must say.

I agree the amount, esp. for those of us on a budget is excessive but I liked the idea of planning your wardrobe, building it year by year and allocating funds accordingly to do so. Guess that is what you need to think about.

Either that or go crazy, buy too many good things to quickly for your bank balance to handle and then do not buy anything for a few months until you recover ( ie me until visit to UK in July, Blahman's No Purchase Club).

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I've now got enough on the shirt, suit, odd jacket knitwear(!!), cufflink and tie front - the good thing is that I can wear odd jackets at work. A couple more pocket squares and one or two pairs of wool trousers would be nice but there's no rush. The only addiction which I can't seem kick (as you might have noticed) is C&J shoes - I've got two pairs of horsebottom shoes on the way right now ...

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm keen for lunch.
On more sartorial matters Howard Yount has a new line of made in america pants that have a higher rise and are a bit more generous in the seat. If memory serves both of those were common complaints in this thread.
I've ordered a pair of the chestnut cords as I'm on a bit of a cordoruy kick at the moment.

Jimbo, to feed your corduroy appetite - http://patrickjohnsontailors.tumblr.com/post/20514440291/tie-drakes-for-p-johnson-cashmere-jacket

I think I've now got enough on the shirt, suit, odd jacket knitwear(!!), cufflink and tie front - the good thing is that I can wear odd jackets at work. A couple more pocket squares and one or two pairs of wool trousers would be nice but there's no rush. The only addiction which I can't seem kick (as you might have noticed) is C&J shoes - I've got two pairs of horsebottom shoes on the way right now ...

GN - more shoes? Did you rob a bank? Or are you going to need to soon?

Plestor

Reaction score
I could easily live with the following

1x blazer suit
1x Charcoal worsted 2x pants
1x mid grey flannel 2x pants
1x lightweight blue windowpane 2x pants

6x OTC socks
3 navy
1 drk green
1 burgundy
1 mid grey

Odd trousers
Brown
Cream linen
Pull from last 2 suits

Odd jackets
Blazer suit
Windowpane

Shirts
Blue x3 plain
Pink x1
White x 2

Shoes
Black cap
Black punch caps
Brown wing tips
Burgundy Tassel loafer
Suede half brogue

Ps
1x white linen
2x large design

Raincoat

Umbrella

8 might be kinder on the shirts & socks for obvious reasons

Formal and casual wear omitted

Likely missing something.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6 pairs of socks? Hope you don't wear a pair multiple times before washing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads