Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

2. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Now that's more like it, maaate! Sharp. :slayer:

3. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Minor shoe crisis - I recently polished my brown penny loafers as they were quite scuffed and as a result they have lost their natural colour and sheen. They are more matte black/extremely dark brown whereas before they were more a dark tobacco colour. I was using "medium brown" Florsheim Shoe Creme. Is there anyway I can revert them back to their natural colour and sheen? Or has this polishing changed their colour forever?

4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Nope you can strip it back fairly easy, mister minit sells a spirit like liquid for stripping colour you can use. It will also take a lot of moisture out though so make sure you condition them well before you polish again. I've also used metho with similar results.

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

I thought polishing a shoe won't simply change a colour drastically like that, as most of the polish gets buffed off and very small amount of colour would actually stay on the shoe so unless you're smearing black cream on white shoes, the colour change would take multiple polishings and change very subtly.

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Well, there is a difference between cream and polish. Cream will usually change the colour a bit - although in my experience, it's not a drastic change, at least after one application - but polish will have a much more subtle effect and it will take a number of coats of polish to make much of an impact at all.

The Prof said that he used cream, hence the colour change.

7. lychee

lychee Well-Known Member

Dammit! Pediwear and Herring don't have the Loake Churchills available in my size. New stock in May... will have to wait!

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

Prof bear,

You sure they aren't just still "damp" from the cream and look darker?

It's no big deal. Just get a much lighter cream next time if you like the lighter colour.

I don't know much about Florsheim cream but I do know that Colonil or Colinol?? Has a wide range of

. No need to do the drastic strip until you've slapped a few lots of lighter stuff on them and polished it off in between. No need to wait until they "need" it.

Otoh sometimes these things have a bigger mystical meaning and maybe yr just meant to have those darker shoes. The payback comes when people say, " I wanted that colour but couldn't find it anywhere"

The other payback is that you already have that colour shoe cream. Win all round.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  9. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Good morning Aus Members thread.

For those based in Melbourne, Gerry Nelson and I are meeting for lunch next Wednesday (11th April) if anyone would like to join us and make it a bit of a Melbourne members meetup. Thinking The Mitre (http://www.mitretavern.com.au/) at 12.30pm, just in the pub part for a quick lunch (some of us have jobs to get back to unfortunately). I have never actually been to The Mitre but have heard good things. I have also heard it can get pretty busy so if there are a few people interested I could try and book a table (or consider a different venue). Does anyone have any insight into this?

Anyway, for anyone who is interested - Wednesday 11th April, 12.30pm, The Mitre (or other similar venue in CBD if required) put a note here or PM me.

GN will be well dressed and charming and I will make an effort (will be wearing socks fxh).

Open, friendly environment to share views on pocket squares, AFL, Myki, the merits of socks, whatever...

10. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Lunch next Wednesday sounds good.

The Mitre is good. Even better, though, are the pizzas at Cafe Treviso directly opposite the Tavern.

11. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Lunch next week sounds good.

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Thanks for organising the lunch, Pink Socks. I'm looking forward to it! Either The Mitre or Cafe Treviso is fine with me. I guess the question is where we're more likely to have room at 12:30.

13. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

I'm keen for lunch.

On more sartorial matters Howard Yount has a new line of made in america pants that have a higher rise and are a bit more generous in the seat. If memory serves both of those were common complaints in this thread.

I've ordered a pair of the chestnut cords as I'm on a bit of a cordoruy kick at the moment.

14. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

You should switch to Rivers thongs as well mate - the smart man's footwear. Low maintenance, no need for topying or polishing, and they only cost $5. Very stylish as well ;-)

I get what you are saying though - a petition to stop expensive watches from becoming even more expensive is hardly Kony 2012... first world problems and all that.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  15. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Oh I've also got some of Epaulets new line of cotton regimental twills arriving soon so I can provide some feedback on those as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.