Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blahman

blahman Senior member

The whole Swiss watch thing is a giant sham any way. Most of the so called Swiss movements are 1) not really Swiss, and more importantly 2) very cheap to make anyway compared to the ridiculously high price they charge you in the shops.

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I really don't think I would look good in burgundy moleskins on the side of a rugby field and that i am willing ( this once) to absolve you for you commentary. Oh by the way I haven't owned a pair of Doc's (boots) since 1989.

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

think the store has already closed and the last pair of quality FJ trousers I bought for work were made in China.

4. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Not sure if these people can help, but might be worth calling them...
    http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/E/V/SYDNE/0014/10/98/1.html

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

Firmin, I'm sure someone else asked here a long time ago and links were posted to shops online with tartan trews. Do a thread search here on tartan.

6. lychee

lychee Well-Known Member

Last minute doubts...

Aldwych - http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=2388

or

Churchill - http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=5486

Both look very similar, however the Aldwych uses the Capital last, where as the Churchill uses the new Swing last. Not sure if it's my eyes, but the Churchill's look a tiny bit pointier (which I would prefer). The Gladstone's (the second purchase I'm already sizing up...) also use the Swing last as well. The brown on the Aldwych appears darker which would my preference.

I'm thinking the Churchills... anyone want to provide some advise?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

7. Naka

Naka Senior member

I'd be careful ordering folding knives from overeas, as the current school of thought at Customs is to confiscate all folding knives as they can be theoretically made in to flick knives by loosening a screw or simply lubricating the mechanism. I've been after a polished horn-handled folding knife for a long time, and it seems that I'll have to order one from somewhere in Australia.

8. lennier

lennier Senior member

BTW, just because I never see it mentioned here I thought I'd point out that there are quite a few decent non-1880 Loakes to be had, depending on your taste. If you like sleaker lasts (as I do) then Loake Design have quite a lot of goodyear welted calf leather models (some even made in England, but most not) significantly cheaper than most of the 1880 range and often on sale at Herring/Pediwear. No doubt the 1880s may have higher quality leather, but for a shoe with decent quality and construction and more contemporary styling (without being fashion tragic clown shoes) I think the Loake Design range tends to get overlooked. I get the impression that many people think that range is all glued and corrected leather, but it aint!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

That rectilinear bit around the laces on the Churchill doesn't sit right with my eye. OTOH a 6 up is always nice.

The reality is that you will be the only person who looks at them with a critical eye as you stare down in a meeting- so the top and top side view are important for your eyes.

10. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

exactly what they're trying to do. Don't forget most of the major watch brands are owned by Richemont, LVMH, SwatchGroup, or PPR. They're all trying it on to a greater or lesser extent.

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

I have a feeling RM Williams does a folding knife.

Its pretty easy to find one.

I used to have some Joseph Rodgers - noice wooden and horn handles - don't know where they are now.

Anyway speaking about OTC socks - has anyone come across any proper clock socks?

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

The Swiss watch industry has learnt a lot.

There was a crisis in the 1970 - and 80s. The Swiss industry was resistant to change and to some extent a lazy protected monopoly with 50% of the worlds watch market. That fell to around only 10% of the world market in the mid to late 80s.

The industry shrunk from around 100,000 people to under 30,000 employed in late 80s.

Ironically it was the "non repairable throwaway" Swatch that signaled the renaissance of Swiss watch making industry, based on appeal to snob values such as heritage, design, artisan methods, exclusivity, constantly changing models, huge advertising budgets and feigned limited availability akin to a mix of De Beers Diamond strategy and Apple marketing.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

13. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

14. jobro

jobro Senior member

Folding knives can be easily imported into Australia. There is no way of loosening a screw or lubricating a mechanism on a folding knife to turn it into a flick knife.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Thanks for that. I think I do rememebrr that now from Wills site.
    $35 is a bit steep but almost doable. But those are just too discreet for me. Maybe for brighter blue with a bit bigger clock in red and white. I probaly will just have to htfu and darn my existing ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.