Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Lychee, I'm not the only one here who goes for Lands End chinos. Often cheap on sale.

You can email them and ask measurements at thigh etc. their different models are cut a bit different to each other. Also material is different. Best order one from each style first then return them here locally for $10 once you have decided on style, fit, material etc.

I also have some Peter Christian chino which I like. Their red/pink colour and material is nicer than LE. Both have reasonably high rise too.

LE have proper odd sizes like 33 and 35 plus they will hem to exact inseam.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Black watch trews???

Do your doc martins still fit??

I try to stick by the maxim, do not judge others lest you be judged yourself.

There's a fairly big Scottish Highland shop near me that sells this kind of stuff. There's a bunch of old punk shops online in UK with tartan trews.

3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Found this via Put This On.

Mind Games: Sometimes a White Coat Isn’t Just a White Coat

If you wear a white coat that you believe belongs to a doctor, your ability to pay attention increases sharply. But if you wear the same white coat believing it belongs to a painter, you will show no such improvement.

So scientists report after studying a phenomenon they call enclothed cognition: the effects of clothing on cognitive processes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/science/clothes-and-self-perception.html?_r=2

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

A good cause and happy to support it. The authorised repair centre for one of my watches did and absolute hash up of it last time (put in wrong parts, stuffed the timekeeping)... thank God for good independent clockmakers.

If this isn't anti-compeititive behaviour, what is?

I'm guessing this is part of the same push that has seen Swatch stop supplying ETA ébauches to the smaller Swiss watchmakers.

5. lychee

lychee Well-Known Member

Perfect. Thank you sir.

6. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

let me guess.... Swatch Group Australia?
    Bunch of incompetent baboons, and that's being nasty to baboons.

Friend had a brand new Omega DeVille Hourvision that went in under warranty due to a hair on the datewheel, it came back seriously scratched, with the anti reflective coating on the crystal polished off, and the hands misaligned. Same guy also had a battery change done on a Tissot and they gouged the case-back removing it.
    Another friend had a Seamaster 300 serviced, it came back with the completely wrong crown fitted, and the bezel misaligned,
    and a workmate just had the battery changed in his Rado, and they stuffed up the water resistance, which caused it to leak and now they want $500 to repair it....

7. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Speaking of Viccel, I've always thought that a Horn Handled Knife is an interesting thing for a sock store to sell.

8. Prince of Paisley

I presume you're talking about the Swatch operation in Melb. I don't have any experience with them, but fear not, there are similarly unqualified (it would seem) authorised repairers for certain brands in Sydney.

Apart from putting in the wrong rotor (bit hard not to notice on a watch with a crystal back!), these guys also had it running +45s a day, left dust on the dial and plier indentations on one of the hands. They said it would take 2 weeks to order a new rotor (the correct one) from Switzerland, and when I rang them 2 weeks later they said "oh that's been ready for ages"...

Needless to say I wouldn't want to go back to those guys.

9. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

Both Sydney and Melbourne have a similarly stellar reputation :)

10. Prince of Paisley

When you think about it, it would be like Toyota suddenly refusing to supply car parts to independent mechanics, meaning all repairs had to be carried out by the dealerships with their ridiculous markups.

Honestly though I don't know how the big watch brands can get away with it unless they roll it out worldwide. The Internet and eBay will still make it possible for Australian watchmakers to order parts bypassing the local ARs.

11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Welcome to the club.

12. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Back when I worked there Fletcher Jones sold tons of pleated trousers, with about 3 different cuts as well. But, given they are closing down I'm not sure what they would have left and I worked there when they were still made in Australia, which I know is not the case now so I can't comment on quality. If you go in the city store ask for a guy named Ron and tell him I sent you, he has been there about 30 years and will look after you.

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

Makes me think I might be onto something with my Rivers $8 specials and my asian nightmarket $5 watches. The worst thing that happens is that the batteries run out before two years are up.

14. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^ Something most of us who plays final fantasy and dungeons and dragons have already known for a long time.

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Today's uniform. I tried not to have three solids here with regard to the PS, tie and shirt.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Details:
    Suit: Rhodes and Beckett
    Shirt: Rhodes and Beckett
    Tie: Kent Wang navy grenadine
    Pocket Square: E. Marinella
    Shoes: Peal and Co Perforated Captoe by Crockett and Jones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.