Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blahman

blahman Senior member

So... does vinegar really help remove some shine? My Benjamin and Sarti suits are starting to get a bit of shine in my crotch and arse areas.

2. Naka

Naka Senior member

Fxh, can I ask what weight socks you ordered from Viccel? I'm about to place an order, but I'm not quite sure what weight would be appropriate for Brissy.

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

Sort of understandable though why the Swiss companies are so desperate at holding onto it, considering they nearly got wiped out during the quartz revolution. Now, watches have become far less important and more a jewellery than functional piece. And they face some stiff competition from the Japanese and now even the Chinese. That said, it doesn't mean its acceptable. Innovate or you go to hell and get stuffed.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

I tend to get their thickest socks, but I'm not normal (not that I want to be) I like thicker socks. Having said that it's my view that their thick socks are what I'd call about average thickness in socks. They are certainly not any thicker than old OTC made in austrlia dress socks I have from years ago.

I have some of all their sorts of socks. I'd suggest getting one pair of each thickness then decide.they are dress socks not sports socks though.

Socks, like a lot of things, are a very individual taste. I've always worn OTC medium thick socks. Others like almost sheer socks or short socks. There's some idiots, I'm told, although I don't believe it, who wear dress shoes WITH NO SOCKS!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  5. lychee

lychee Well-Known Member

Also went by Country Road to try on some coloured chinos (spend and save), however the slim fits were more skin tight on my larger than usual calves/thighs... anyone experienced the same issues I have (i swear I'm not fat!) and found any suitable options?

6. Naka

Naka Senior member

That was very helpful, thank you. I ended up going with the thickest option for durability's sake, and mixing OTC and Mid-calf in the order as I haven't worn an OTC before. I took a leaf out of one of our comrade's book and ordered some light pink ones too :hide:

7. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Hi mate ,
    just checked your website. Quite nice except for few things here and there. Well it does take a while to get everything right on a e com site(I also run a daily deal website). anyway couldn't resist pointing this out -
    They are [COLOR=FF00AA]100% made in England [/COLOR]to the highest standards with hand linked toes giving..............

all the best .

md

8. Inc Interest

Inc Interest Member

How is the Capital Last?

I finally got around to trying on some Loakes at DJ’s today. I tried on the Loake Elland. It retails on Pediwear for 139 pounds ($214) AUD. It was priced at $420 at DJ’s and was then marked down 30%(approx $300). Still highway robbery. Especially considering I can get Loake Aldwych’s (which are 1880’s) for the same price.

When I asked the assitant what last the Elland was on she repeated the price. But other than that seemed pretty happy to help. I think a lot of the people there can be generally nice and able to deal with customers but receive insufficient training or are not interested enough to find out more about their job.

9. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Thanks for the advice on Viccel - have selected all key colours and all OTC, cant stand short socks. The Thomas Pink ones I bought last week on sale are on the short side and irritating. Also ordered the sock box, will be interesting. Thanks to those who recommended.

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Geez! I just went on the Viccel site and they look great!!. I'll look to them once I wear out the ones I currently have (too many so it might be awhile!. I'm interested in trying the OTC socks but I'm afraid that if I like them too much, it will render all my other socks unwearable in comparison so I might just hold off for the time being.

11. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Think your absolutely on the money here. No training, no product knowledge little care and concern. My first part time job was at McDonnell and East in George Street Brisbane, bet no one here can remember the menswear section there!!! We had product knowledge training every shift. We had to nominate a particular item/brand and the full timers who were the old timers proudly took us young whippers through the features and the like. Surprisingly, the old M&E used to stock some nice quality gear. Shame they went belly up.

On the DJs Shoes in Melbourne...seriously, why on earth is it tucked up in that cave? It is bewildering to me how stupid this space is. Still, think coffee would be a better return on the floor space than the mediocre shoes they have accompanied by the totally disinterested staff.

Its all about authenticity and David Jones had it, made money from it and now will struggle to ever have it again. Myer..they just lost in the race to be large distributors of overseas manufactured rubbish at peak prices. I never go to Myer for anything as Im certain is the same for many of you here. Really, when you can order quality socks from Turkey at a quarter of the price of Thomas Pink short socks...why wouldnt you.

12. blahman

blahman Senior member

I think you really need to get a looser straight fit and have it slimmed by tailor then as most trousers from other brands like Country Road, Saba and whatnot will be very similar in fit. I have a pair of CR Wool/Cash trousers which I wear every now and then when I don't like eating much and a pair of Saba cotton trousers which I wore today when I was pleasantly surprised that the fit went from way too tight to just slightly tight on me.

Maybe you can try Saba as they offer both odd and even sizes, so if you're normally a 32 you can try 33. Another option might be Ben Sherman trousers, which despite all that touting of Mod and all actually fits a little looser than CR. The rise of the pants might be a tad low though.

Just browsing Modern Tailor sales fabrics and this looks like a might nice fabric:

[​IMG]

2ply 140TC Royal Oxford $79.95 down from $154.95

13. lychee

lychee Well-Known Member

Might go back and try the 34, then have the waist taken in.

14. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

On Viccel

I wear lots of otc viccel (winter weight) even in the Brisbane summer, the durability is worth it in my eyes. It is generally easy enough to find panthrella's in otc cotton which are maybe a hair lighter than winter weight but certainly closer to than the summer. The bright colours are bright so be careful! They need a deeper red/ burgundy (see Clemetsen vs Forest green).

I'll put the out there just to be safe don't fold them "inside" each other you'll bugger the tensioning. The sock box or some other form of organiser is really useful here.

15. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Winter is upon us and I was wondering if anyone would know where i might be able to get a pair of black watch wool tartan trousers?

Does any one do this sort of thing here in Oz? I found via STP that Bill's make them in their M2P cut which would suit me fine. But with shipping they would cost about $280.

But is it possible to get a pair of pleated trousers OTR here anymore? I haven't seen any around town, mind you the options in Canberra are a bit restricted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.